This discussion is closed.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I could beat you hands down at anything Geordie.
calm it down there joey_johns.
Custard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
lol.

it will be "lets discuss the reasons why people are poor."

corey says - "many r poor due to bad political leaders who mess up the country."

joey says - "rubbish, i know some1 who knows some1, who is poor because he wants to, tehrefore you dont ahve a clue what ur talking about."

:rolleyes:
LOL
pedy1986
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
You do raise a very interesting point. Remember the case of Mrs. Pretty and her 'right to die'? Her case was dismissed by the high court judge, and her 'right' was defeated. Whether we have an autonomous right to end our lives, however, questions the whole meaning of automomy and is an ethical dilemma which unfortunately will only ever be founded by our own opinions.
yes, but that assisted suicide which was slightly different

and Joey, I'm proud to be a Geordie, *cough* classics boy *cough*
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by alaric)

You really don't understand 'proper' depression, the point with 'proper' depression is that there doesn't need to be a reason for it. At all. Everything can be going well and you can still want to kill yourself. There can be reasons, and lots of people have them too, but the overriding problem is that it doesn't need a reason. People who haven't been 'properly' depressed never understand this, they always assume there must be a reason.

Consequently it can be very hard to reach people who are in that situation.

Alaric.
Yes, but depression can be combated by people talking to you and helping you through what you are feeling. Depression can be onset by anything but is always amplified by any problems the person is going through, and the feeling of lonliness that they might feel greatly increased by the isolation of nobody trying to find out what is wrong.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I could beat you hands down at anything Geordie.
not at debating you couldnt.

reason - you look at your particular experience and not the wider, general picture, which is what matters in basing an opinion - not disregarding anything else if it hasnt happended to you.

thats what u did in this debate - kept constantly referring to your experience and based all ur views on that - despite it being obvious that a lot of suicides are based on reasons such as i explained - its obvious.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thankyou, perhaps Corey needs someone close to him to die.
YOU ARE A SICK ****.

YOU WANT SOME1 CLOSE TO COREY TO DIE?

GO TO HELL LOSER.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by corey)
and Joey, I'm proud to be a Geordie
who wouldnt be! no sissy boy!
Custard
Rep:
?
Thankyou, perhaps Corey needs someone close to him to die. Then maybe he would understand.

I know what your saying e.g. wider picture. In general people do commit suicide because of depression but there are many types of depression. But the fact remains I've been effected. You lot havent.

The thing is i have, it too hard for me to even think about, i hate telling people about it.
sidney
Report 17 years ago
Thankyou, perhaps Corey needs someone close to him to die. Then maybe he would understand.

yeah that is really insensitive
theres no need to get nasty
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by onlylittleme)
Yes, but depression can be combated by people talking to you and helping you through what you are feeling.
Yes, but in my experience the 'professionals' are next to useless, all they're good for is dishing out happy pills. I've had the most productive conversations with people in a/have been in a similar situation. That isn't talking about the problems, just the depression.

(Original post by onlylittleme)
Depression can be onset by anything but is always amplified by any problems the person is going through, and the feeling of lonliness that they might feel greatly increased by the isolation of nobody trying to find out what is wrong.
Good point, though the point I was trying to get to bono was that they only make up a small subset of suicidal people, and are indeed the most likely to be able to be helped. The main point it is that it's considerably more complex than loneliness.

Alaric.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know it happens a lot I never disputed that. I'm simply saying in my situation it was different. All suicides are different. Some are similar some arent. Nobody is the same, we all come from different background with different experiences, therefore all suicides are slighty different. You can generalis the factors contributing to a suicide but you cannot specifically pin point down the exact reason.
"I know it happens a lot I never disputed that." - u wer b4!
"I'm simply saying in my situation it was different." - i know!
"Some are similar some arent." - EXACTLY! i never said "each suicide is exactly identical". i meant the same sort of thing, loneliness, etc. the similar reasons. :rolleyes:

"Nobody is the same, we all come from different background with different experiences," - well obviously, my arguments were general, and stating general reasons - not daying it was 100% identical in each case.

e.g.) kid feels lonely due to mum not giving a toss
e.g.) kid feels lonely due to mum dying.

BUT, similarity - kid feels suicidal due to loneliness of mum not being there 4 him.

"You can generalis the factors contributing to a suicide" - yes, and thats what i did.

"cannot specifically pin point down the exact reason" - well obviously, there are many. thats blatantly obvious.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
yes, it is very, very selfish.

there are always alternatives to suicide, thats what i think.
how is it selfish...people around you dont realise how much **** youre in!
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How do you use examples such as the case of your girlfriends which discussing/debating a matter?

You argue a point on principle, then you use an example to strengthen that point of principle. An example on its own as you have repeatably used is not really a valid argument.

I paid no attention to your girlfriends feelings because I am arguing on a point of principle - autonomous individual rights. That does not include your girlfriends feelings in it - nor do I consider them very relevant.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
YOU ARE A SICK ****.

YOU WANT SOME1 CLOSE TO COREY TO DIE?

GO TO HELL LOSER.
i repeat that for corey joey and corey to see.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by corey)
yes, but that assisted suicide which was slightly different

and Joey, I'm proud to be a Geordie, *cough* classics boy *cough*
Not a whole lot different in principle (apart form third parties obviously), she was unable to end her own life due do physical impairment - she was disputing the same core 'right to death', which isn't written in stone, more of an adjustment of the 'right to live' human right - phrased rather badly to many judges' dismay.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
it can be selfish yes.

but if you read my 50 other posts instead of just this 1, you would see i elaborated.

can be selfish in some instances if things r going ok, but as the last 3 pages of debating suggests, often there is some justification.
Custard
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
put your sig is

"poo...life sucks" there for you are not going to be top of the world and are going to be in favour of suicide.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Not a whole lot different in principle (apart form third parties obviously), she was unable to end her own life due do physical impairment - she was disputing the same core 'right to death', which isn't written in stone, more of an adjustment of the 'right to live' human right - phrased rather badly to many judges' dismay.
Yes, point taken. However, although it may have been ruled illegal, as you have said before - it is a matter of opinion on this issue
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You study books too much.
I concede my point, due to your fantastic comeback
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You study books too much.
least corey's argument has a point and considers things in the general sense.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.13%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.78%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.93%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.19%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.87%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.19%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.77%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.48%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.32%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads