The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jack99
I really messed this exam up in my opinion. My friends say I always say things like that when I come out of exams, but with this one I nearly ran out of time. I had to write in about half the space required for some 15 mark questions and then go back to them at the end to fill the space more with some waffling. I just hope that I'm questioning myself; I got an A in my mock and I don't think it went as well as that, but I had the sinking feeling in my stomach when I looked at the clock; lets see what August brings, maybe a good grade or a re-sit paper.

Regarding the Cold Environments question (I did Cold Environments and Food Supply Issues), the picture wasn't the best - if anyone agrees with me? A more aerial picture would've helped. I ended up putting Lateral and Medial for Section A of the image.

I agree - moraine questions were obscure! I put recessional and mentioned the kame terraces...as for their origin....WHATTT!?
Original post by cinquee
I didn't see the first question as labelling the diagram!!!!!! How many marks was it?
LUCKILY myself, I did label the diagram anyway to help me with the 7 marker...eeeeek! But probably not in enough detail?

Luckily only 4 but to be honest it sounds like you did it without knowing, psychic much?:wink:
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
That's correct though. You could have mentioned the stress it would place on the NHS as a result of obesity related illnesses - 60% of the UK could be obese by 2050 (I 'made' it up, but it was true). Also, if they're unable to work then they'd get disability payments, placing a strain on the benefit system, and being reliant on state support etc.

Just don't over-think it. Each answer is independent and there would be a lot of points that get ticks. You'll be fine :smile:

Good luck Tuesday.

yeah im guessing all i can do is get my arse and start revising for tuesday :smile: well what is done is done now. cant change what i wrote. lest just pray for low grade boundaries and good marks on unit 2
good luck to you too :smile:)
how many marks rougly would i need to get a C
Reply 104
Original post by angela4910

Original post by angela4910
it was 4. but then if u labelled it u should still get it

Ah that's great thanks!
I mentioned the plunge pool and steep sided gorge at least! Luckily I didn't miss too many marks then :smile:
Original post by mwalters13
how many marks rougly would i need to get a C

I got a C last year with very few marks. Literally for Deserts, I got 10/30 and 9 came on the 15 marker. The boundaries are traditionally low.
Reply 106
Original post by heymynameisben
Luckily only 4 but to be honest it sounds like you did it without knowing, psychic much?:wink:

So lucky! I'm prone to careless mistakes like that you see, so I labelled the picture probably knowing this would happen unconsciously haha maybe you're right :P!!! :confused:
Reply 107
Original post by alittlehelp
a lot of my friends put hiv and aids for the last question on non communicable diseases, anyone else?

Yes - I put that too! I didn't like that question one bit! Anyone know if you can still get marks with the wrong case study?
Original post by Schvoogle
Yes - I put that too! I didn't like that question one bit! Anyone know if you can still get marks with the wrong case study?

No, sorry. It was all based around non-communicable diseases. I'm shocked at how many people got it wrong. I saw it and knew instantly what to put, and I've been awake for 30 hours straight - having already sat a history exam earlier today.
Original post by Schvoogle

Not really, no. Perhaps if you've really rambled and compared HIV with a disease of affluence or something.
Original post by cinquee
So lucky! I'm prone to careless mistakes like that you see, so I labelled the picture probably knowing this would happen unconsciously haha maybe you're right :P!!! :confused:

The wording confused me massively.

Initially, I put 'waterfall' and 'gorge' but the crossed out 'gorge' and put 'waterfall' in a bracket. I added 'v-shaped valley' and 'narrow cross profile width' along with 'rapids'. I hope that they give me marks for the 'gorge,' it was only lightly crossed out :frown:

I don't even know if I got a mark.
Reply 111
Original post by cinquee
I agree - moraine questions were obscure! I put recessional and mentioned the kame terraces...as for their origin....WHATTT!?

At least someone does :biggrin: That question had the image split into two sections right (A and B)?
IKR? The very first question was weird. I did that one in the last two minutes. I just put things like plungepool, eroded soft rock etc. :s-smilie:
where do i find out the grade boundaries! CAN PEOPLE STOP IGNORING ME
The origin of the moraine was from freeze-thaw weathering, plucking and abrasion. The glacier dumped the moraine at its sides after it slowed down. I mentioned all three and explained all three so hopefully thats alright but the picture, what??
I put lateral, maybe some terminal, and supraglacial material on top and some englacial within
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
You can find old grade boundaries on the AQA website - but the boundaries for this exam won't be decided until all the marks are collected
in the moraine question i mentioned recessional, terminal, medial and lateral moraine on purpose. at least one had to be right and after all, aqa don't take marks off, they only mark positively.

i'm that clever :wink:
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
The wording confused me massively.

Initially, I put 'waterfall' and 'gorge' but the crossed out 'gorge' and put 'waterfall' in a bracket. I added 'v-shaped valley' and 'narrow cross profile width' along with 'rapids'. I hope that they give me marks for the 'gorge,' it was only lightly crossed out :frown:

I don't even know if I got a mark.

Yeah, that question was odd. I put 'waterfall', 'steep sided gorge', 'plunge pool' and 'v-shaped valley'. How many marks will that get me?
Original post by mwalters13
where do i find out the grade boundaries! CAN PEOPLE STOP IGNORING ME

basically, they'll be really low considering everyone felt like they failed! :frown:
Original post by Deceiver
Yeah, that question was odd. I put 'waterfall', 'steep sided gorge', 'plunge pool' and 'v-shaped valley'. How many marks will that get me?

Hopefully 4, because then I'd get 4 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest