Heard back from internship applications? Watch

babylon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
erm i had a look at SHL last night....but couldn't find the practice ones anywhere....is there a link please?! thanks
crawls
Report 12 years ago
Link to SHL practice tests;

http://www.shldirect.com/phasei/prac...328489778CCE19
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by crawls)

lol cheers, i got the wrong website last nite!
Montana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

For some reason, questions 5 and 6 (and maybe more) in the verbal reasoning always result in "wrong answer", no matter which option I select lol.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Megsy)
hmmmm ben, don't rate us first years too lowly.

Some of us first years have done internships (tho mostly ops) already...

And some of us first years have been promised a summer analyst internship...

and some of us honestly do think we can get a summer, beating off second years.

(collected opinions from my yeargroup)
I've met first year UCL economists who will get their summer internship when they are in their second year. Not the summer of their first.

I've rarely met a first year with commerical experience in the role they want to get into (only ever met 1 and he did get an internship).

Internships are 10 week interviews for the graduate scheme. They get treated accordingly.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Megsy)
hmmmm ben, don't rate us first years too lowly.

Some of us first years have done internships (tho mostly ops) already...

And some of us first years have been promised a summer analyst internship...

and some of us honestly do think we can get a summer, beating off second years.

(collected opinions from my yeargroup)
Yes, but I can't see that ever happening, save for the utterly exceptional possible one per year.
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
I've met first year UCL economists who will get their summer internship when they are in their second year. Not the summer of their first.

I've rarely met a first year with commerical experience in the role they want to get into (only ever met 1 and he did get an internship).

Internships are 10 week interviews for the graduate scheme. They get treated accordingly.
Exactly, they don't really want to bother with people they wouldnt be able to offer a job to on completion of their internship...

On the other hand I didnt get through my barcap interview Oh well never mind.
portugal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
Exactly, they don't really want to bother with people they wouldnt be able to offer a job to on completion of their internship...

On the other hand I didnt get through my barcap interview Oh well never mind.
mangomaz what sort of questions did barcap ask you in your interview??
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by portugal)
They werent that hard, just the usual 'why barclays capital' and 'why do you apply for the role you did' and then a couple of like case study questions where they read a passage and then asked how you would solve the problem in that situation. Not as hard as I expected but I dont think I answered why I want to work for barcap as well as I could have done.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by portugal)
I'm always shocked when people ask this and even more shocked when people answer with anything specific or unusual.

Everyone knows roughly what kind of questions you will get asked if they do a little research...

portugal happens to be very sound :cool: and this is a different place to being in person...

...but I know at UCL, after people had gone through interviews, there would be a false charm offensive on the person in an attempt to weasle out some information. It makes me despair, grinds me down a bit and makes me think a little less of a bunch of people I otherwise really like.
£Simon£
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Just heard back from MS - interview for equities division. :cool:

Just out of interest, does anyone have any idea of how the ratios of applicants to position falls through the various rounds? I think it normally starts off at about somewhere between 50-100:1.
portugal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
I'm always shocked when people ask this and even more shocked when people answer with anything specific or unusual.

Everyone knows roughly what kind of questions you will get asked if they do a little research...

portugal happens to be very sound :cool: and this is a different place to being in person...

...but I know at UCL, after people had gone through interviews, there would be a false charm offensive on the person in an attempt to weasle out some information. It makes me despair, grinds me down a bit and makes me think a little less of a bunch of people I otherwise really like.
yes good point Ben, its the same at Warwick. i shudnt really have asked as it will be no different from any other interview with the other banks with the usual questions.

Good luck Simon w/ ur interview.
john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Whats wrong with asking on what questions they may ask, at least if you have no idea it gives you a chance to prepare some sort of answer and not every interview will be exactly the same.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
Whats wrong with asking on what questions they may ask,
It isn't bad to ask as such but I think it is bad to attach a fake plastic smile and then ask someone you've never spoken to before as if you were best mates.

at least if you have no idea it gives you a chance to prepare some sort of answer and not every interview will be exactly the same.
Actually, a lot of the interviews will be fairly similar and what you can expect to be asked is easy to find out by doing your research (go to events held by the companies and ask them directly, they're very helpful people and reward those who show an interest in the company with information)
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
BarCap and DB have been giving out internship offers within the last week (to UCL students at the very least)

(go us)
crawls
Report 12 years ago
I haven't even heard back from DB yet !?
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
I haven't even heard back from DB yet !?
Well I know they are giving out offers already so... give 'em a ring and see what is going on?
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well they do have a *lot* of applications to go through...
ceebee_jeebees
Report 12 years ago
I got through to DB 2nd round and it was supposed to be last week but i have delayed it till the end of January, for their next lot of 2nd round interviews which is for some reason over 6 weeks away from the first set of 2nd round interviews! Crazy! I just heard i have got citigroup first round for Capital Markets. Does anyone have a first choice if they could have any bank?

Mine

1) GS (FICC through to 2nd round)
2) MS (IBD)
3) HSBC (IBD.Has anyone checked out their graduate recruitment programme, it seems amazing and their conversion rate onto it is around 80%)
4) DB (Markets) = Citi (capital Markets) = JP Morgan (Capital Markets) = Rothschild (IBD) = Lazard (IBD)

(Original post by mangomaz)
Well they do have a *lot* of applications to go through...
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ceebee_jeebees)
1) GS (FICC through to 2nd round)
Presume by virtue of the Spring programme since they haven't read the application forms sent in formally...

3) HSBC (IBD.Has anyone checked out their graduate recruitment programme, it seems amazing and their conversion rate onto it is around 80%)
I sensed they had a rather pants programme and weren't a great bank in any sense... would be nice to hear why you think they're so sharp though.

Preference is: UBS, DB, GS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads