(Original post by Mortimer)
    Can U Do Medicine In 2006?
    Yes I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V.P. Keys)
    Yes I can.
    Is that really helpful?

---------------------

What do you mean you didn't get the grades? Have you sat your A-levels already... in that case, why re-apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srathmore)
    Is that really helpful?

---------------------

What do you mean you didn't get the grades? Have you sat your A-levels already... in that case, why re-apply?

no it doesn't help! :mad:

i haven't sat my a-levels :eek:
    i mean predicted grades i got 3B's in maths, bio n chem my teachers were bein *****es!

ReputationRep:
    no it doesn't help! :mad:

i haven't sat my a-levels :eek:
    i mean predicted grades i got 3B's in maths, bio n chem my teachers were bein *****es!
    Really, really, really doubtful you'll be able to get a place anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    There are two problems:
    1. Poor predicted marks. Nearly everyone applying for medicine has AAA predicted.
    2. It is too late. The deadline was October 15th.

Realistically your only chance would be to do the exams and get AAA and then apply once you have your marks next year.

In the meanwhile, apply for and start doing a genetics/molecular biology/biochemistry degree at one of the better universities. This will make you a stronger candidate when you apply for medicine next year. Unfortunately, with marks of BBB, even this will be hard to get into. Avoid pharmacy or nursing if you plan to do medicine, they are seen as soft options for weak students.

BTW, what were your AS and GCSE marks ?
    Are you honestly intelligent and hard working enough to do medicine ? Your posts in other forums, replete with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, are not terribly encouraging.

ReputationRep:
    Not to burst your bubble but its highly unlikely with BBB. Like what Poohbear said, do you think medicine is the right choice for you? Its hard work.

ReputationRep:
    although don't get completely disheartened. I know places like cardiff say in their prospectus that individuals who are applying with a particularly strong personal statement, but not the correct academic requirements may be considered. does that help?

ReputationRep:

If you get the grades in the end, don't do a degree you don't want to do. It will still be hard work, maybe even harder than medicine and you'll be surrounded by people who actually want to do the degree for the most part unless you choose something like biomedical sciences. If you get your grades then apply for 2007 entry and if you are successful you'll get an unconditional. I don't see any way that you would get an offer for 2006 with those grades and having not applied yet.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of whether you have the right grades/work experience etc, it's too late to apply now, the deadline was almost two months ago. The only real option is to apply for next year if you get at least AAB, although bear in mind that it isn't all about the grades. What were your AS grades like? Your teachers probably based your predictions on those and how they perceive your attitude to your work. There is no easy way into medicine; somebody would have found it by now. There is also no clearing for it.

ReputationRep:
    thanx 2 every1 hu has replied

it has made me think (a bit) i am jus sooo confused

n as 4 the grammatical errors (so wot?) hu gives a damn? i ain't talkin 2 the queen or sumink so i don't hve 2 b all proper. n wen u bcom a Dr. u 4get how 2 write!!!

i mite do pschyology

thanx again1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohbear)
    In the meanwhile, apply for and start doing a genetics/molecular biology/biochemistry degree at one of the better universities. This will make you a stronger candidate when you apply for medicine next year.
    i don't think starting a degree with the attention not to finish it (that's what you were suggesting?) & reapplying through UCAS for medicine is a good plan:

- complicates funding issues & will ultimately increase the amount you're paying back

- hardly shows commitment to medicine, or more importantly, commitment to anything if you're not intending to complete the degree & some ATs will be distinctly unimpressed...

- the university you start at might not be thrilled with your dropping out when you get a better offer, which might not lead to the best reference

- having done 1 year of another degree i don't think makes you a 'stronger candidate' at all, medicine isn't so much an academic subject & i think having taken a Gap year, gaining plenty of relevant experience i.e. working as a Health Care Support Worker, Voluntary Work, work in healthcare admin + earning money, travelling, general life experience would make you stronger

- the logistics of dropping things for interviews, especially if you're on a more continuous assessment style course

Unfortunately, with marks of BBB, even this will be hard to get into. Avoid pharmacy or nursing if you plan to do medicine, they are seen as soft options for weak students.
    which medical admissions tutors have said this? :confused:
    or do you just mean 'seen' as in other applicants seem to think, like how on TSR anyone with grades less than Sarky's (see sig :p: ) has done 'badly'..

if you're not going to do the potentially perilous try & reapply during your first year then i can actually see huge advantages to doing pharmacy or say nursing. firstly - they're both vocational, so you won't just be a standard graduate, but can go into jobs & start working, plus once you're fully qualified & have the skills then there's plenty of locuming work you could do to further fund the expensive long-student-ness.
    & for plenty of GEPs these seem to be exactly the sort of healthcare professional backgrounds they'd be interested in, rather than purely academics.

also, if the medicine dream isn't going to work out but you do want to work in healthcare, i think either of these would put you in a better position than completing a sciencey degree if your heart isn't really in it.

most nursing applicants i know are getting their forms in ASAP though.

so my plan of action would involve

work socks off to get AAA!
    contact medical schools to open a dialogue & strengthen application (work experience, voluntary experience etc)

if achieved then try & gain a place in clearing (it can happen, even if they're not advertised. & people can take the places of those who drop out..)
    if clearing fails, then take a gap year & reapply to the medical schools you're now on the radar for! earn oodles of money, expand your horizons, gain more experience, then start medicine.

if you don't make AAA then you'd need to reassess your situation - is getting the grades for medical school realistic?
    if not - then i'd start thinking of other degrees & apply for those through clearing (plenty of good unis do enter - & if you're prepared & know what you want beforehand & move fast, should be perfectly doable)
    or take a year out anyway, so your completely sure of what you want to be doing, with the grades that you've got.
    but if you apply for another degree - make sure you're happy doing it for its own sake, not just because you're thinking of a medicine transfer or a GEP course, because these are by no means guaranteed!

ReputationRep:
    n as 4 the grammatical errors (so wot?) hu gives a damn? i ain't talkin 2 the queen or sumink so i don't hve 2 b all proper. n wen u bcom a Dr. u 4get how 2 write!!!
    Sounds like a doctor already.

ReputationRep:
    In the meanwhile, apply for and start doing a genetics/molecular biology/biochemistry degree at one of the better universities. This will make you a stronger candidate when you apply for medicine next year.
    Not true!!!

DO NOT START A DEGREE. I DON NOT KNOW OF ONE MEDICAL SCHOOL THAT WOULD NOT ORDINARILY EXPECT YOU TO COMPLETE THE DEGREE BEFORE THEY WILL CONSIDER AN APPLICATION FORM YOU...

Avoid pharmacy or nursing if you plan to do medicine, they are seen as soft options for weak students.
    That's total *******s for want of a better word.

Avoid biomedical sciences!

Med schools LOVE pharamcists, and nurses and graduates of a single science discipline, especially anatomy.

Whoever told you that pharmacists and nurses are weak shots needs shooting! Pharmacy is waaay harder than medicine - and nver undersetimate all that drugs knowledge you acrue - and remembering that pharmacists can override a doctors scribe... That's for a very good reason. Pharmacists know what they are doing doctors often do not appreciate the pharmacology, pharmacolkinests, pharmacogenetics, full mode of action etc...

I do not know eho has been feeding you this crap, but they're very wrong. Unless you just made it up...

To the original poster, have you thought of foundation (6 year) courses? Some will take people with 'below par' science A2's especially if you're at a crap school...

Either that, or work your arse off, prove people wrong, get AAB and apply for 2007 with your grades in the bag...

Make sure your work experience, voluntary stuff and extra curricular are upto scratch...

ReputationRep:
    Dont be too hasty people.
    When i applied to med school last year, I had predicted grades ACCC and got an interview. Shortly after, I received a conditional offer of ACC from Glasgow.

Now if you work that out, ACC is 280 points, and BBB is 300... See where I'm going?!

Anyway 'mortimer', Im not trying to throw you into a false sense hope or anything, just letting you know that it is possible - after all...what are grades?!? They dont show what you are like as a person. Just make sure your personal statement is perfect!!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou Fluffy, sound advice yet again.

ReputationRep:
    u can always do biomedical science (or genetics or whatever) and do medicine afterwards

ReputationRep:
    I got BCCCC at AS and was predicted BBB at ALevel. Got an offer, worked my arse off, got AAAA ddm.
    As for whether a medschool will accept a certain grade level, who actually can say!? Medicine is a LOT more than just grades and academic capability. Admittedly they are important, but if you suit the career and are motivated enough to get through it and the applications assessors can see evidence of this in your PS then you will get an offer. There's nothing that says the cut off is so many UCAS points or so many A grades, but these go in the prospectus to deter people who are applying for medicine just because they like ER.
    If you want to do medicine and can prove it with the relevant vol wk, work experience and what you got out of them, and also get some half decent grades, chances are you'll get in somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    can i just add, medicine is only AAB because it is so god dam popular, its only actually a BCC course! they have to bump up the grades to cut out some of the people who want to do it. if your determind you will get there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of trying for G.E.M. but only after I've completed my Nursing degree and have spent a few years practicing as a nurse. I suppose it's just a question of not knowing if you'll get in unless you try, and I know I'd always regret it if I didn't have a go.

It would be a good idea to do a degree such as nursing because you learn a lot more about how to support patients, it's not just focussed on disease as I've been told Medicine is (feel free to correct if that's wrong :p: ). Also you would gain heaps of experience in hospital settings which would further strengthen your application for Medicine should you decide to apply. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 15, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.