garyhe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm having some trouble about how to answer this question, it's a bit long so bear with me :

Read the following information about how the small intestine absorbs sugars.

-The blood absorbs glucose and some other sugars like xylose from the small intestine

-Glucose molecules are the same size as xylose molecules but glucose is absorbed more quickly than xylose

-Experiments with pieces of intestine show that the uptake of oxygen by the intestine is 50% higher in the presence of glucose than in the absence of glucose. Xylose does not have this effect on the uptake of oxygen.

-The cells lining the small intestine have many mitochondria.

Explain how this information provides evidence that glucose is absorbed by the small intestine using active transport.

I understand active transport needs energy from aerobic respiration, but I'm not really sure how to apply all of this in my answer...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dekota-XS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If the uptake of O2 rises as a consequence of glucose being present then this is a sign of aerobic respiration occuring and since aerobic respiration produces more ATP than anaerobic, we can conclude that glucose absorption in the small intestine is via active transport which is an ATP-dependent process.

The mitochondria rich cells lining the intestine is further evidence of this as O2 is utilised by the mitochondria to produce ATP.
garyhe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Alright, cheers!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i mean can it be put in easier format coz this scientific language is way toooooooooo complicated fam xx
is there a simpler explanation for this xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads