English Paper 2 Section A, how to set out essay?

Watch
Gary
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
On paper 2 section a where we have to compare poems about different cultures, how can i come about to set out my essay e.g. would i set it out like this?

para 1 - intro
para 2 - language
para 3 - structure
para 4 - themes
para 5 - conclusion

should i set it out like that or iin another way? someone help please thanks
username533239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah that looks nice to me, apart from the into, never liked them.

If anything, start with your conclusion would be a change I would say (and sod the intro out)
Bardem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I do

Intro including general ideas and context behind poems
Structure(sometimes I tie in language if its part of a structural device- no point covering the same thing twice)
Language
Personal response
R.AC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sometimes they might ask you to compare the themes of the two poems though, so the basic things you need to talk about is language devices, structure, tone, and maybe title.
und
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree that you don't need an introduction; it's a waste of time that you could be using to develop a point. Also, I don't know what it says in the mark scheme about writing a personal response, but I've never felt the need to add one myself.

Does anybody know how one would go about comparing the tone of two poems as a separate point? It seems so closely tied in with language to me, that I wouldn't bother writing about tone and language separately.
Bardem
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've never really talked about tone in my mock papers (marked by teacher who marked exams a couple years back) and always got A*'s. I just cover theme and ideas loosely in the intro, examine structure, then language tends to add meaning so I talk about ideas and theme here more explicitly. Then conclusion with personal response.
kinho
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I usually do:

INTRO
STRUCTURE
LANGUAGE
IMAGERY
RHYME
CONCLUSION

Good luck everyone for tomorrow !
Gary
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
ahhh ok thank you one more question, say if i was writing about the language, should i write about the similarities/comparisons of the 2 poems in 1 single paragraph or do them sepratlely ?
und
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kinho)
I usually do:

INTRO
STRUCTURE
LANGUAGE
IMAGERY
RHYME
CONCLUSION

Good luck everyone for tomorrow !
Wouldn't 'rhyme' come under 'structure'?
d4nny
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1 - describe unseen (bullet point 1) (acts as intro)
2 - analyse first part of bp2 (normally imagery in useen)
3 - analyse second part of bp2 (normally language devices in useen)
4 - compare first part of bp3 (normally character)
5 - compare second part of bp3 (normally setting)
6 - discuss shared themes (bp3) (acts as conclusion)

Obv. it is flexible, say if there were 4 bullet points, but is good for accounting for the mark weighting.
Bardem
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1 single paragraph, and it depends on how they want you to compare the poems. If its via universal ideas, the poems may not have as much language in common so if you relate the poet's choice of language to similar/contrasting ideas discussed in both poems, thats normally easier analysis wise.
Tevez-32
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I usually do:
1. Meaning of Poem 1
2. Langue of Poem 1
3. Structure of Poem 2
4. Meaning of Poem 2 - referring and comparing to poem 1
5. Langue of Poem 2 - referring and comparing to poem 1
6. Structure of Poem 2 - referring and comparing to poem 1

Anyone got any predictions for poems or topics that may come up in Cluster 1 tomorrow?
R.AC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
aahh, usually i would have wasted my time writing about the tone seperatly :/ so that will definetly be a no-no!.
how long would a comparative essay have to be?
Bardem
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have really small writing (17-20 words per line) and write about 2.25 sides normally.
Rose.1994
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this is what my teachers have told me to do:
Intro - name the poems and their poets. summarise the main subject matter, and relate to the theme of the question
1 - compare in detail the ideas/meaning in the poem using pee, relate to the question
2 - compare the form and structure use PEE relate to the theme
3 - compare the language use PEE, relate to the theme
Conclusion - final consideration of essay title and make a few new comparitive points (just in case they randomly come to you)

i'm really scared about the exam. I really want to get an A in English, I got an A in my coursework but I don't think I got any higher than a B in the exam on Monday, really want to get an A tomorrow but am not confident! i always get B's in mocks, haven't improved since the beginning of the course!
R.AC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, okay. that gives me an idea of the length.

One more thing though that iim confused on is... seeing as some poems express more than one theme, do we restrict ourselves to writing just about one theme for each poem? :s
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When comparing structure do you compare in the same paragraph or separately? structure was just an example...
littleun
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should aim to write 2-3 sides in 45 minutes as to get an B grade you need to explore the poems fully. Don't bother writing an introduction as examiners hate it and it is usually a waste of time. Just dive in and talk about the two poems:
-their geographical location
-the author's history if relevant
-struggles the poems show
Follow PEE (Point Evidence Explanation) and have a conclusion which is personal as you need a personal response to get an A grade. If you're looking for an A* make sure you show empathy for the speaker and their struggles. Try to speculate about phrases to show different interpretations are possible. Also, my teacher recommended avoiding having one paragraph for language, one for structure and one for form, try to have close comparison (needed for a B grade) throughout between the poems and link them conceptually eg. cultural identity.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
RyanH12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1 - Intro of poems relating to Themes and the question.
2 - structure of both with comparison
3 - language used with comparison
4 - feelings of the poets with comparison
5 - how i feel about the poem i prefer.

REMEMBER TO KEEP RELATING TO THE QUESTION.
ashil95
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try using SMILE

Intro
Structure
Meaning (the poems meaning)
Imagery
Language
Effects (Tone- effect the poet is giving off)
Conclusion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads