This discussion is closed.
Datura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Can anyone recommend a good physics book for me to teach myself from?

Unfortunately my physics teachers are rubbish; last year they didn't even finish the gcse course with us, so once again I have taken it upon myself to learn it.

I bought 'Physics' by A.F.Abbott yesterday but I don't actually know if it's that good or not. I'm looking for a very detailed book that actually goes into the A level standard questions.

Please bear in mind that I already have 'Physics For You' and I'm not very impressed with it.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bebop)

Unfortunately my physics teachers are rubbish; last year they didn't even finish the gcse course with us, so once again I have taken it upon myself to learn it.

I bought 'Physics' by A.F.Abbott yesterday but I don't actually know if it's that good or not. I'm looking for a very detailed book that actually goes into the A level standard questions.

Please bear in mind that I already have 'Physics For You' and I'm not very impressed with it.
For OCR B board?
Datura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Sorry, I meant to add that it's for an EdExcel course
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bebop)
Try textbooks listed on ebay. They're cheap so buy some and use only the bits you need.
crana
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bebop)
Hi Bebop
I do the Edexcel physics course. Do you have the thin, modular textbooks? That's what we had from school - I'm not amazingly impressed by them but they do cover the course quite tightly.

Our school has also given us "Physics" by Fullick but i have to admit i almost never ever use this..

I also have a couple of revision guides courtesy of ebay: Letts, WHSmith, and the Edexcel one "Make the Grade".

Oh, we also use Practice in Physics which has lots of questions but is also riddled with mistakes..

Rosie
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I would recommend Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker. I use it for the first year of my Natural Sciences Physics course so it might have some things a bit too advanced in it but it should cover everything in an AS. It would be good used in conjuction with a copy of the syllabus so you don't learn unneccessary things.
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bebop)

The Daddy of A-level physics books is Understanding Physics at Advanced Level by Jim Breithaupt, published by Nelson Thornes nowadays. Satisfies all A-level needs and more!

J.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Nelson Advanced Science physics books are quite good, a little on the thin side but they give you most of what is needed.
sumi2000
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
how bout physics by tom duncan...sorry cant remember the publisher...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.74%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.91%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.18%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.81%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.12%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.76%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.73%

Watched Threads