Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think about 'political correctness'? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    You don't seem to understand the concept of a debate so i suggest you shut up.
    I think this debate is silly.

What REAL effects do PC attitudes have. REALLY?

I have a British Flag hanging in my room, I celebrate a secular christmas etc. etc.

I do not feel persecuted for being patriotic as most other people are. The people responsible for dragging our flag through the mud are parties like the BNP and the national front. It is incredibly simple.

The far left and the far right are to blame for most of societies ills actually. You both manufacture a debate to suit your own ends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipses)
    You don't seem to understand the concept of a debate so i suggest you shut up.
    And you don't seem to understand the concept of someone stopping you from doing something so I suggest you accept his point and follow your own reccomendations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    I think this debate is silly.

What REAL effects do PC attitudes have. REALLY?
    I'll tell you. Someone in the town near to where I live was served with a civil SUMMONS by the local council for flying the flag of St. George from a flagpole in his rear garden. The reason given was "it could offend other ethnic or national groups". If THAT isn't a REAL effect, I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you. Someone in the town near to where I live was served with a civil SUMMONS by the local council for flying the flag of St. George from a flagpole in his rear garden. The reason given was "it could offend other ethnic or national groups". If THAT isn't a REAL effect, I don't know what is.
    dont tell them that it will hert their fragile in denile minds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    And you don't seem to understand the concept of someone stopping you from doing something so I suggest you accept his point and follow your own reccomendations.
    The point is that i don't want to stop anybody doing anything that isnt wrong, christmas is a happy time and i dont understand why people would be against it, I dont want to stop them celebrating their festivals because they arnt doing me any harm and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    ...and did he win?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    ...and did he win?
    No. He was fined £250 plus costs, and ordered to remove his flagpole.

ReputationRep:
    This is so interesting! I dont understand why this whole "politically correct" business came about recently, why do people NOW find traditions of god knows how many years old, offensive? This actually reminds me of a question my interviewer asked me: give me an example of when your human rights are breached, and i told her that everyone has the freedom of speech, but if i said hypothetically that i hated Cypriots, someone is bound to tell me off and call me a racist and not politically correct.. therefore i dont really have the freedom of speech do i?!
    sorry ive realised im a bit off the ball but anyway ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    No. He was fined £250 plus costs, and ordered to remove his flagpole.
    I'm gonna fine you for hanging a flag in your avatar .

Jokes aside im sure if somebody complained about them hanging a flag in their garden then it would be discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    1. I'm gonna fine you for hanging a flag in your avatar .

2. Jokes aside im sure if somebody complained about them hanging a flag in their garden then it would be discrimination.
    1. Ooooh.....and to make matters worse...it has the word "Xmas" on it....
    2. I agree. It seems, though, there's one law for some........

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people have SUCH a problem with political correctness, considering it stems from local authorities not wanting to offend ethnic minorities, wanting to make them feel welcome etc. why cant people accept that yes, maybe it goes a little bit too far sometimes, but what harm does that do? there are worse things in the world than political correctness like ooo i dunno racism, xenophobia, fascism etc so who cares if our govt. takes being liberal and democratic too far...its a helluva lot better than in most countries

ReputationRep:
    As much as I find social and political curbs on expression annoying, I have to say that I find many of the people that endlessly claim that political correctness is somehow fundamentally inhibiting their everyday lives just as bothersome

I’ve never once been reprimanded for my views and generally speaking I could be classed as relatively vociferous. It seems to me that the majority of people complaining are BNP members or idiots who lack the finesse to say anything without offending somebody. Political correctness just restricts extremist’s vocabulary. Wise up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    It's a ****ing joke, end of discussion.

If they don't like it here, move back to where the **** they came from.

I don't see them renaming their "Ramadan" just because of a very small minority living in India finding it offensive, there would be an uproar if that happened.
    Took the words out of my mouth mate however harsh they were

--------------

(Original post by Aristogeiton)
    Don't forget that we're to spell Christmas with a small 'C' and also Christ with a small C too - just to avoid giving Christ any respect at all.

I don't understand the whole banning of Christmas - it's not like Jesus was even born then, Christians just celebrated in December to coincide with the Roman festival of Saturnalia. Can't muslims just do the same? Or is that too much to ask of them to do in this clearly fundamentally Christian country? (note: ENGLAND IS NOT A MUSLIM COUNTRY hence they should adapt, not us)
    I dont actually think its because Muslims cant accept our religion, i think its our government feeling sorry for their faith and sucking up their arses so 'extremist's' dont try another attack.

ReputationRep:
    Its not fixing is called improvement which is why we don't live in a cave.
    I cannot see any evidence that diversity has improved this country per se.

--------------

(Original post by gordon_is_fit)
    I don't understand why people have SUCH a problem with political correctness, considering it stems from local authorities not wanting to offend ethnic minorities, wanting to make them feel welcome etc. why cant people accept that yes, maybe it goes a little bit too far sometimes, but what harm does that do? there are worse things in the world than political correctness like ooo i dunno racism, xenophobia, fascism etc so who cares if our govt. takes being liberal and democratic too far...its a helluva lot better than in most countries
    I think people would have less of a problem if local councils (who are funded by an obscenely large tax burden) actually cared about the wishes of the MAJORITY. If some barmy lib dem or labour run council bans the word 'christmas' from public displays I and many others, especially Christians, feel harm has been done to us. Have you not realised that attempting to stop people celebrating their religious and cultural festival, namely Christmas, is racist???

ReputationRep:
    It's a public display from the public purse. The state has no business subsidising religion no matter which way you look at it. For pagan rituals might be even more "British" than Christianity, but a big public display to celebrate the summer solstice would offend Christians. That's why the compromise is "holiday trees" and "seasonal greetings". It's fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Political Correctness is slowly destroying this country, we are made to feel ashamed to be British, as i've said before the minority ethnic population are always given presendence over the native population for some unknown reason. Labour has speeded this process up, the middle class is seen as wrong, what is wrong with people having money? The people of nineteenth century britain will be turning in their graves to see how far backwards this country has gone. We made the world turn 100 years ago we should not be ashamed of that fact!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangliss)
    It's a public display from the public purse. The state has no business subsidising religion no matter which way you look at it. For pagan rituals might be even more "British" than Christianity, but a big public display to celebrate the summer solstice would offend Christians. That's why the compromise is "holiday trees" and "seasonal greetings". It's fair enough.
    Yes it does. In England the State and the Church are fused. The Church of England is the established religion of England and the Head of State and the Head of the Church of England are the same people.

(Original post by Howard)
    Yes it does. In England the State and the Church are fused. The Church of England is the established religion of England and the Head of State and the Head of the Church of England are the same people.
    Plus, the public purse is funded by the public of whom the majority state they are Christian - according to the 2001 census.

btw Howie - you are off home tomorrow, aren't you? I would like to take this opportunity to wish you, your wife and your children a very joyous, holy and peaceful Christmas, celebrating our Saviour's birth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Plus, the public purse is funded by the public of whom the majority state they are Christian - according to the 2001 census.

btw Howie - you are off home tomorrow, aren't you? I would like to take this opportunity to wish you, your wife and your children a very joyous, holy and peaceful Christmas, celebrating our Saviour's birth.
    And the Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God, and the Fellowship of the Holy Ghost be with you and and your dearest this Christmas!! (Flying back to FL tommorrow - get me away from this Satanic mormon dump!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy)
    Political Correctness is slowly destroying this country, we are made to feel ashamed to be British, as i've said before the minority ethnic population are always given presendence over the native population for some unknown reason. Labour has speeded this process up, the middle class is seen as wrong, what is wrong with people having money? The people of nineteenth century britain will be turning in their graves to see how far backwards this country has gone. We made the world turn 100 years ago we should not be ashamed of that fact!
    Changing a few words or rephrasing things doesn't change our entire country. People always get carried away with their ridiculously over the top hatred of political correctness. The minority is not given presedence, it is merely aknowledged and accepted. They are the ones open to abuse, not you.
    Yes, Britains from the past may be ashamed, but then they enjoyed participating in the slave trade.

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.