The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) M2 - 22/06/2011

With the exam a few just a few weeks away, how is preperation going? Feel free to discuss the exams and any problems here.

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:

Got the jan 11 paper for people who haven't done it yet :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty much self-teaching this unit after getting full UMS in January's M1 exam.

That said, it's quite a step up. Luckily School's been really good with throwing revision materials at me: past papers with markschemes; textbooks - I have 3 of them just for this exam; notes on the syllabus; and 'sample papers' that're a lot harder than the past papers. So if anyone wants any of those (apart from the textbooks), let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AmroTT
Pretty much self-teaching this unit after getting full UMS in January's M1 exam.

That said, it's quite a step up. Luckily School's been really good with throwing revision materials at me: past papers with markschemes; textbooks - I have 3 of them just for this exam; notes on the syllabus; and 'sample papers' that're a lot harder than the past papers. So if anyone wants any of those (apart from the textbooks), let me know :smile:

Another self-teacher, nice! :five:

I did M1 last year so I was a little rusty to begin with but I agree with the step up being bigger than I expected. I get all of the stuff about particles (projectiles, circular motion, etc.) but rigid objects... :puke:

If you could upload some of these "sample papers", I'd really really appreciate it :h:

Well done on your full UMS btw! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ElMoro
Another self-teacher, nice! :five:

I did M1 last year so I was a little rusty to begin with but I agree with the step up being bigger than I expected. I get all of the stuff about particles (projectiles, circular motion, etc.) but rigid objects... :puke:

If you could upload some of these "sample papers", I'd really really appreciate it :h:

Well done on your full UMS btw! :biggrin:

Haha yes: frames and laminas are my least favourite. Circular motion's just fun (if I don't sound too odd when I say that :colondollar: ).

And by way of thanks, here're those 'sample papers'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AmroTT
Haha yes: frames and laminas are my least favourite. Circular motion's just fun (if I don't sound too odd when I say that :colondollar: ).

And by way of thanks, here're those 'sample papers'.

Haha, circular motion is my favourite bit aswell :biggrin: Glad, I'm not doing M3 this year because there's more systems of rigid objects! :eek: Although I'm actually looking forward to vertical circular motion and elasticity :colondollar: (I know I sound weird aswell :lol:)

Thank you so so so much for those papers! Could really do with the extra practice! :biggrin: Do you have them for other modules aswell? :h:

Repped you btw :grin:
Reply 5
LOL, I haven't even started teaching myself the unit and you're talking about exam prep. I really effed up this summer. Any lesson/revision notes you have would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 6
Original post by Roy064
LOL, I haven't even started teaching myself the unit and you're talking about exam prep. I really effed up this summer. Any lesson/revision notes you have would be greatly appreciated.

Errr... I'm afraid the notes and such School have given me are on paper; apart from that, I'd HIGHLY recommend the OCR M2 textbook, that's been invaluable for me :smile: Or Applied Mathematics 1 by Bostock & Chandler: written in the '70s it's rather old school, way beyond the M2 syllabus, yet terrific for its explanations and exercises. Other than that, Mr M has a set of powerpoints on the M2 syllabus that have been good to look over, they start from scratch and work their way through so they're useful :smile: PM him.

Original post by ElMoro
Thank you so so so much for those papers! Could really do with the extra practice! :biggrin: Do you have them for other modules aswell? :h:

Repped you btw :grin:

Haha thanks! I'm afraid I haven't got any more, no, although I do have every Solomon paper for C1-4 and all past papers from Jan '05 - Jan '10 :P I did say my School was good at throwing revision materials at me, no matter how irrelevant!
Reply 7
Well, I started self-teaching M2 my self after a horrific D1 exam (It was on 26th May 2011). Sort of needed 80%+ in it, But thanks to OCR I am having to learn a whole module in couple of weeks as well as revise other exams. Still got a chance though. Pretty confident on Energy, collisions and projectiles. Spent 10 hours yesterday on Statics of Rigid bodies/Moments. Centers of mass is not too bad. Can anyone post the centers of mass for a sphere and a cone? I visualized a 3d cone into 2d as its symmetrical and did the 2/3 x height thing. Apparently its 1/4xheight !?
Reply 8
cone and spheres are in the formula booklet..
Reply 9
Subscribing
has anyone got the M2 notes from Mr M they can send me? please
Reply 11
Original post by lifesabeach
has anyone got the M2 notes from Mr M they can send me? please

Would help if you provided your email :smile:

Jan 11 wasn't too bad, neither were most of the recent past papers, but OCR have been surprising so far in the summer, so I think there'll be a surprise in our paper...

There's always a restitution/momentum question, projectile, CoM and circular motion though, so there should be more of the same...
Reply 12
Original post by wibletg

Jan 11 wasn't too bad, neither were most of the recent past papers, but OCR have been surprising so far in the summer, so I think there'll be a surprise in our paper...

There's always a restitution/momentum question, projectile, CoM and circular motion though, so there should be more of the same...

I'm not sure I'd agree about January's paper. There was that really odd question about finding the range of values for the coefficient of restitution, for a start. And I seem to remember Circular Motion taking a back seat. There were other odd bits, but I don't have a copy of the paper so - unless anyone's willing to PM me a copy - I'm not sure.

And yes, I'd expect all the major elements of the syllabus to come up at least once; work/energy/power makes a regular appearance too.
Reply 13
Original post by AmroTT
I'm not sure I'd agree about January's paper. There was that really odd question about finding the range of values for the coefficient of restitution, for a start. And I seem to remember Circular Motion taking a back seat. There were other odd bits, but I don't have a copy of the paper so - unless anyone's willing to PM me a copy - I'm not sure.

And yes, I'd expect all the major elements of the syllabus to come up at least once; work/energy/power makes a regular appearance too.

There was a circular motion question but it was incorporated into a centre of mass question :tongue:

I can't PM you it but if you PM me your email I'll send you a copy :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by wibletg
There was a circular motion question but it was incorporated into a centre of mass question :tongue:

Fair enough :smile: I only saw it back in January in a sort of nonchalant, 'Oh look I'll be sitting this exam in a few months' way. And PM'd :smile:
Reply 15
Just wondering if anyone could help with a question from the June '10 M2 exam (http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57455_pp_10_jun_gce_4729.pdf)

It's question 6 part iii. I've looked at the markscheme and that's entirely useless. I keep ending up with an answer which is root 3 too big...Could anyone put up some proper working for it please? :smile:
Original post by wibletg

M2 is tedious with all the 'number crunching'. I prefer FP1 and old school mechanics before calculators were about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by wibletg

What Paper was this?
Jan/Jun 0#?
Reply 18
Original post by ChoYunEL
What Paper was this?
Jan/Jun 0#?

January 2011.
Reply 19
Original post by ChoYunEL
What Paper was this?
Jan/Jun 0#?