This discussion is closed.
Suzy_vet
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Just wondering what subjects epople are doing and how they find the work load.

1. subject
2. College
3. Work load ( 1-10 1 being little, 10 being a lot)
4. Are you missing out on other things?
5. other comments?

Im hopefully going to be doing vet med, so id like to know if im going to have a life! I feel this is important.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
1. Compsci.
2. Clare, Cambridge.
3. Work load: should be 8 or so, actually about 4.
4. Are you missing out on other things? Well I'm too lazy for most things, when there's a back log of work I tend to miss out on sleep .
5. other comments? It's not too bad, but I have huge difficulties concentrating and getting down to do work. In fact I'm here avoiding work at the moment!

Alaric.
Daenerys
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
Just wondering what subjects epople are doing and how they find the work load.

1. subject
2. College
3. Work load ( 1-10 1 being little, 10 being a lot)
4. Are you missing out on other things?
5. other comments?

Im hopefully going to be doing vet med, so id like to know if im going to have a life! I feel this is important.
Doing Biology at Oxford. It was fine to start with but if you slip up and end up behind in extra reading, essays, etc, then believe me it's hell. Stay on top and join some societies early, don't think you can wait till you've got everything under control because I never have!

afraid I might be a bit biased as the others seem to be coping, but then I've had extracurricular hassle.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
1. Medicine
2. Clare, Cambridge
3. Would be 7 if I was organised, but currently about 9.
4. Not because of the work. I can't do as much as I'd like cos I don't have the money, but having too much work hasn't been a problem. I wish I was more involved in the music scene, but the reason I'm not is cos I'm crap compared with everyone else at Clare, not because of my work.
5. It's possible to spend all your time in your room, never go out and work all the time. But it's not necessary. You will have time to do other things.
Suzy_vet
Thanks for that! What sort of standard are music people at cam? I play flute at about grade 7, clarinet to grade 6. i would like to do something musical.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
Thanks for that! What sort of standard are music people at cam? I play flute at about grade 7, clarinet to grade 6. i would like to do something musical.
Well, I'm at Clare, which is arguably the most musical college in Cambridge (or so CCMS say). So we have people who say "Oh, I play the ...... but I'm crap,"
"What grade are you?"
"Oh, I did Grade 8 a couple of years ago, but I'm sooooo rubbish..."

The top orchestras (CUSO and CUMS 1) are Grade 8+ standard, but there are college things you can get involved in as well. There is also UCPO which is non-audition but literally bursting with wind instruments, so you might not enjoy it so much. If you look, there's usually something you can do.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Well, I'm at Clare, which is arguably the most musical college in Cambridge (or so CCMS say). So we have people who say "Oh, I play the ...... but I'm crap,"
"What grade are you?"
"Oh, I did Grade 8 a couple of years ago, but I'm sooooo rubbish..."

The top orchestras (CUSO and CUMS 1) are Grade 8+ standard, but there are college things you can get involved in as well. There is also UCPO which is non-audition but literally bursting with wind instruments, so you might not enjoy it so much. If you look, there's usually something you can do.

Does anyone go to Clare who isn't incredibly musical?
I'm only Grade 6, and have no musical pretensions; I would just like to join a nice relaxed orchestra.
Everyone I've heard of who goes to Clare seems to play an instrument.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
helenia, is there something like a jazz band at Clare? I play the saxophone, and id like to join a group that will be a little more relaxed...
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
helenia, is there something like a jazz band at Clare? I play the saxophone, and id like to join a group that will be a little more relaxed...
i'm sure if there isn't then you could start up a sax quartet - there is quite a reasonable repertoire.

Musicboy
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Does anyone go to Clare who isn't incredibly musical?
*waves*

I played the recorder for a month or so when I was 6, but then gave it up. I was laughed at by my friends when 'playing' the keyboard in school music lessons because I was so slow. To be honest I found it quite difficult to memorise the number of keys away from the current one I had to press next and then count along to it, as that was the only way I was able to play at all. Chords were a nightmare.

Basically I suck at music, I never knew about Clare being musical until I went there and everyone seemed to be in CUMS I.

Alaric.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
I'm not sure if there is a Clare one, but there are certainly university ones, not that I know anything about them, I'm afraid.

Hitchhiker - lots of people at Clare are musical, but there are some who don't play. I hang out with the musos (music students, choral scholars and lots of people who play things) though, so my perspective is a little biased. It's nothing to be ashamed of to be crap, I just wish I could join in more. What scared me is that CCMS put together a whole symphony orchestra (which means a cello section of about 12 at least) and didn't want me!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
1. Geography
2. St Peter's
3. 4 comparatively (degree), 10 (other things I do here)
4. Are you missing out on other things? No, but that can exacerbate problems. Like right now I have 4 essays to do, but get tempted into going out a lot even if there's an essay crisis. Typically I work 20 hour days, mostly doing non-degree stuff.
5. other comments? Stay on top of your work and you're sorted. Begin a backlog and it's a nightmare. The majority here tend to cope well with it. If you can manage to do your work 9-5 then you're sorted, you'll have every night free to do other stuff.
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Like right now I have 4 essays to do, but get tempted into going out a lot even if there's an essay crisis.
How the hell do you have four essays??? Is it a backlog???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
How the hell do you have four essays??? Is it a backlog???

Yeah 2 from the vacation, 1 from last week, 1 for 9.30am today...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Yeah 2 from the vacation, 1 from last week, 1 for 9.30am today...
Hmmm, so is time management a bit of an issue for you????

J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
1. Geography
2. St Peter's
3. 4 comparatively (degree), 10 (other things I do here)
4. Are you missing out on other things? No, but that can exacerbate problems. Like right now I have 4 essays to do, but get tempted into going out a lot even if there's an essay crisis. Typically I work 20 hour days, mostly doing non-degree stuff.
5. other comments? Stay on top of your work and you're sorted. Begin a backlog and it's a nightmare. The majority here tend to cope well with it. If you can manage to do your work 9-5 then you're sorted, you'll have every night free to do other stuff.

As certain sterotypes would suggest (none of my own, naturalllly) only a Guji can work 20 hours a day in addition to their academic work. As for us Punjabi's, we're more inclined to booze for a 20hr day !
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Hmmm, so is time management a bit of an issue for you????

Usually not, my time management's fine, coped well with everything last term, and will be back on track after this week. Just was too busy over the vacation.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
20 hours a day is hardcore, i don't think i do more than 6 properly
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
20 hours a day is hardcore, i don't think i do more than 6 properly
tha sounds like a good way to do a degree.

MB
Suzy_vet
Seems to be some nice variation! I just hope i can cope with it. i did 5 subjects last year to AS and thought it was ok, and four this year. gets a bit much sometimes, but bio and chem fine.

I just want to play in some kind of orchestra, doesnt have to be anyhting amazing, just fun. Hopefully ill find one.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads