The Student Room Group

Question Predictions [Of Mice and Men - AQA English Literature A GCSE]

So what question do you guys think is most likely to arise for the exam on the 24th May?

Personally I think Friendship or Loneliness.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
I hope loneliness as you have George, Crooks, Candy and Curley's wife to discuss.

George becomes lonely after Lennie dies but shouldn't analyse that too much.

Lennie would count as Lonely but I don't it effects him since he doesn't understand.

I have a feeling Dreams will come up as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Oliver Rani
I hope loneliness as you have George, Crooks, Candy and Curley's wife to discuss.

George becomes lonely after Lennie dies but shouldn't analyse that too much.

Lennie would count as Lonely but I don't it effects him since he doesn't understand.

I have a feeling Dreams will come up as well.

Highly unlikely that dreams will come up as that came up in 2009.

Loneliness, Friendship & Violence hasn't come up for more than 6 years, so I hope it's one of those!

Out of curiosity, how are you revising/preparing for Of Mice and Men?
Well I havn't actually revised that much. I'm not revising for Literature poems. My teacher told me if I get a D in Of Mice and men and C in Literature poems then I should get a Overall C because of my coursework grade.

I will revise for of mice and men soon though. Can you give me any suggestions on what to write for those themes? Tell me important quotes and characters matching them please.
Reply 6
Well I havn't actually revised that much. I'm not revising for Literature poems. My teacher told me if I get a D in Of Mice and men and C in Literature poems then I should get a Overall C because of my coursework grade.

I will revise for of mice and men soon though. Can you give me any suggestions on what to write for those themes? Tell me important quotes and characters matching them please.

This website should help you:

http://www.shmoop.com/of-mice-and-men/themes.html
Reply 7
I think the themes of Loneliness or Friendship will be there because it is one of the most common, however i think that you need to just memorise most of the novel and focus on the "Juiciest Quotation". And also do lots of revision on foreshadowing or things like juxtapositions because my teacher has said to revise these bits.... I have my Of mice and men and An Inspector Calls exam on the 10th of June and that is like 3 weeks away.
Reply 8
Ive been thinking "Loneliness" all along too.. the only thing is, the fact that it's so obvious might stop them from putting it up. It's the last year that Literature will be set like this so im wondering what they could come up with.

How do you lot structure your essay? for example: intro>character 1> character 2> character 3> conclusion.
Is there a certain way that A* students should do it?

thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Lat7Rex
Ive been thinking "Loneliness" all along too.. the only thing is, the fact that it's so obvious might stop them from putting it up. It's the last year that Literature will be set like this so im wondering what they could come up with.

How do you lot structure your essay? for example: intro>character 1> character 2> character 3> conclusion.
Is there a certain way that A* students should do it?

thanks

I agree, I think it's going to be loneliness (hopefully!)
I'm not really good with structuring but as long as you include an analysis of language, structure, ideas and include alternative interpretations, then my teacher said you can't really go wrong
Reply 10
and what about literature poems? how do you structure for that?
Reply 11
Original post by Lat7Rex

Original post by Lat7Rex
and what about literature poems? how do you structure for that?

I don't know how everybody else is structuring it, but I've taught to structure is like this for the four poems:
Intro- just state which poems you chose and why
1st Paragraph- Compare Poem 1 and 2's language
2nd Paragraph- Compare Poem 3 and 4's structure
3rd Paragraph- Compare Poem 1 and 4's techniques used/themes/ideas or anything else you want to write.
Conclusion- Just sum up everything

That's how I've been taught to do it, because that why you've compared almost all the poems in a structured way and you have included everything you need to discuss. How's everybody else structuring it?
Reply 12
This is what i dont understand. My school make us do an intro > language in all 4 > structure in all 4 > form in all 4 > Authors intentions > Conclusion.. they might aswell make us write a story on top of that :

:confused::s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by ju1c
So what question do you guys think is most likely to arise for the exam on the 24th May?

Personally I think Friendship or Loneliness.

not animal imagery. It will be probably about crooks or curley's wife... or it could be
'what effective methods does Steinbeck use to present the characters'
Do you have to talk about langauge techniques? Because I really struggle with that.
Reply 15
Original post by Lat7Rex

Original post by Lat7Rex
This is what i dont understand. My school make us do an intro > language in all 4 > structure in all 4 > form in all 4 > Authors intentions > Conclusion.. they might aswell make us write a story on top of that :

:confused::s-smilie:

Wow, how do they expect you to write all of that under timed conditions? And isn't form the same as structure?

Do you have to talk about langauge techniques? Because I really struggle with that.

Unless the questions states otherwise (e.g. How does Steinbeck use structure?) I'm pretty sure you HAVE to talk about language. There isn't much else to write about seeing as it is a book.. :/
Reply 16
Original post by s95gnn
not animal imagery. It will be probably about crooks or curley's wife... or it could be
'what effective methods does Steinbeck use to present the characters'

I wouldn't mind Crooks although if Curley's Wife came up I'd dread it.
Reply 17
Not tryna be an annoying **** but can we go back to predicting the questions please :smile:
Reply 18
My guess:
How does Steinbeck use language to present ideas about the character -enter character's name-?
How is -enter character's name- portrayed in the book?

So, basically, questions around a specific character :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Baddream
My guess:
How does Steinbeck use language to present ideas about the character -enter character's name-?
How is -enter character's name- portrayed in the book?

So, basically, questions around a specific character :smile:

Hopefully its not George!

Loneliness/Companionship hasn't come up since 2006 so they might arise - (this is what im working on, alongside violence)

Other than that there's not much to do on the book except memorizing quotes.

Quick Reply