The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Core 2 May/June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucy1234
If I got 40 raw marks. What would you estimate the UMS marks to be?

40/75 = 53% So i would imagine it to be around 58%-62% of the UMS so 58-62
Original post by Amy-Margarita
Don't worry I think we all feel the same - we did all the past papers too - none of us could of predicted this awful day :P x

Ha ha!!! True! Everyone, but one person (FREAK), i spoke to thought it was hard and messed up on one bit!!!!

Poor people doing core 1 as well!!! This awful paper and then another 1 hr 30!!!!
Original post by Amy-Margarita
If you got 40 then big congratulations for you! UMS works sort of like a percentage doesn't it?! If the grade boundaries are normal that means you'd get about a C or 54 UMS marks, but if the grade boundaries are lowered this could probably become a B?! Just guestimating really :smile: x

this exam was SO RUDDY DIFFICULT

i felt like crying, feel exhausted

i worked so hard

can anyone give me advice

i thank God, but was i the only one who felt i could not do 3-4 whole questions???
Original post by Animal-cat-lover
Ha ha!!! True! Everyone, but one person (FREAK), i spoke to thought it was hard and messed up on one bit!!!!

Poor people doing core 1 as well!!! This awful paper and then another 1 hr 30!!!!

seriously, i am someone who prepared or 5-6 months solid, did every past paper of almost all specs

did over 100-200 hours of self study for c1 and c2

and i FOUND IT INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT

c1 was a pain, but c2 was the king of all stupidly random exams

do you think 55/75 will be an A?

i dropped MANY marks

=/ i need 90% raw marks in D1 to get an A

man
Reply 24
Yeah, everyone I know is agreeing that it was a lot harder than the past papers. UMS grade boundaries work so that they take the top 25% or so of scores and give them an grade A and the grade boundaries are worked out from there. This means if everyone does bad the grade boundaries will be lower. That's what I heard anyway.
Original post by stjohnpeters
40/75 = 53% So i would imagine it to be around 58%-62% of the UMS so 58-62

you can't be sure

RAW marks are different to UMS marks

it depends on how hard the paper was

and believe me. this paper was absolutely hard

but i will get back up...

even darkness must pass, i will revise for my next exams, and then when the sun shines, it will shine the clearer.

-.- i could give up, be disheartened, but i must keep moving foward

if you find your self in hell, keep going.

-.- my revenge will be with D1, on bahalf of c1 and c2
Reply 26
I feel exactly the same. i did every past paper and specimen and it was still hard!!
Original post by chrisingram
Yeah, everyone I know is agreeing that it was a lot harder than the past papers. UMS grade boundaries work so that they take the top 25% or so of scores and give them an grade A and the grade boundaries are worked out from there. This means if everyone does bad the grade boundaries will be lower. That's what I heard anyway.

agreed

=/ the paper was too hard

I PROMISE YOU

i did EVERY paper before and properly revised

YET I BELIEVE, I TOTALLY MESSED THIS UP

i pray to God now, it is with him:frown:
Reply 28
Honestly, I hate to be that guy, but it wasn't that unfair a paper I didn't think. I mean there were some bad questions, like for the sector perimeter one. That seemed like a really hard one to actually answer. I mean it was obvious that k=5, but how were you actually meant to answer the question?? But otherwise I honestly thought that it was quite easy compared to past papers. I mean the two identities ones are usually difficult, but for today's they were basic!!
I think I speak for at least a few people that that will be another exam to be redone!
Reply 30
basic? I think the complete opposite. People were crying when they came out the exam
Reply 31
Original post by Miller693
Honestly, I hate to be that guy, but it wasn't that unfair a paper I didn't think. I mean there were some bad questions, like for the sector perimeter one. That seemed like a really hard one to actually answer. I mean it was obvious that k=5, but how were you actually meant to answer the question?? But otherwise I honestly thought that it was quite easy compared to past papers. I mean the two identities ones are usually difficult, but for today's they were basic!!

Yeah I think that's all you'd have to put. I can't remember but I think it was something like 15 = 3k so you'd just write k=5.

I think a lot of people were put off by the trig identities one just because it was a short question worth 4 marks. It looked hard at first but once you multiplied it out it was okay.

One of my friends missed the whole last question because he got to question 8 and thought there were only 8 questions haha. Most of the past papers only have 8 questions.
Sat c1 and c2 today. Thought c1 was ridiculously easy and that c2 was a bit harder than the average past paper. Think i got 75/75 for c1 and 74/75 for c2 (didn't quite reach the printed answer for the last part of the last question, but was very close).

Hopefully if everyone found it hard i might be bagging myself 2x 100 ums :smile:.

In all seriousness though the log question was certainly hard and not at all like in any of the past papers i did.
Reply 33
FK MAThs!!! Ive got another paper on friday FP1 and its MEI!! :frown:
I didn't find the trig identity ones too hard and the log one at the end was alright. Completely messed up on the maximum point one which basically meant i screwed up the whole question on the normal :frown: Everyone's found it hard so im hoping the grade boundaries will be low :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by karchun
FK MAThs!!! Ive got another paper on friday FP1 and its MEI!! :frown:

Yeah same I've got Statistics and Further Pure 1 on friday. I think I'm okay with FP1 but in Statistics they always throw in some "comment on this" question it's really annoying :/
For anyone wondering how to show the sixth term can be written as (3^6/2^13)
the solution is as follows.
sixth term= ar^n-1 or 12 x(3/8)^5

note that, 8= 2^3 and 12 = 2^2 x 3.

Therefore 12x (3/8)^5
=2^2 x 3 (3/2^3)^5
=2^2 x 3((3^5)/(2^15))
=2^2 x ((3^6))/2^15))
=(3^6)/(2^13) which was the printed answer.
Reply 37
yeah that's what I got, I didn't find that too difficult, I think it was the question after that about the logs that I found difficult. I tried it and got so far so I hope I get some method marks.
Reply 38
Original post by a_patel
CORE 1 may 2011 was maad.
core 2 was okay but the last question killed me!

What did you find hard in core 1?
Reply 39
Original post by stayd001
What did you find hard in core 1?

point of intersection of x axis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending