The Student Room Group

Hearing your parents having sex.

I hate hearing my parents having sex (their room is above mine, and floors/doors are creaky at the best of times). The sound of it sickens me, and they often do it at times when I'll be awake...i.e around 11 at night, and also early mornings when I'm getting ready for work etc.

I know I should probably be adult about it and either just accept it or tell them its upsetting me, but that'd be too awkward. On holidays where I was sharing a room with them (though obviously not sharing a bed too) when I was younger, they used to have sex when they clearly knew I was still awake, but they just didnt seem to care. When i said something like "oh i cant get to sleep" to try and interrupt, my dad would tell me to jsut go back to sleep.

Is it just me or is it not totally inconsiderate and rude of them? If they heard me and a boyfriend having sex at times when other people were awake they'd say it was inconsiderate. Im glad they love each other etc etc, but it just makes me feel sick (kind of emotionally and physically). :frown:
Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My parents have never had sex. Ever. I was a freak accident, as was my brother. Parents don't have sex.

*Is not in denial*
Reply 2
Be up front with it and tell them that you feel this way. Nothing is ever going to get solved otherwise... They'll just carry on having sex loudly, and you don't want that do you?
Reply 3
My parents are divorced so I've never heard them both having sex together... however.

My boyfriend claims he's heard my Mum and her boyfriend at it, and I've heard my Dad and my now ex Step-Mum at it on her birthday after my dad giving her a card and saying 'I'll give you your other present later' followed by a wink. Vomit, vomit, vomit.
Reply 4
Euw.
Reply 5
:eek: Is this for real?
Ewww!! I'm sorry, but ewwww!!!! :eek:
Reply 7
yes, it is for real...i was kind of hoping that other people would be in a similar position as me, but obviously not. This morning i heard them (at like 8am) so i just got up and had a bath to avoid hearing it, then later when i was in a bad mood with my mum (obvious reasons) she got really annoyed and stressed with me for not saying why i wasn't being very friendly to her. i was so tempted to jsut say why but then stopped myself as it would have been awkward. and i had to get ready for work so couldn't be bothered to talk to her about it then.
Reply 8
**Cringe**
Reply 9
Weak.
Reply 10
Pretend its not happening, and invest in earplugs. Saying something will only result in extreme embarrassment.
Originally Posted by Brighton

yes, it is for real...i was kind of hoping that other people would be in a similar position as me, but obviously not. This morning i heard them (at like 8am) so i just got up and had a bath to avoid hearing it, then later when i was in a bad mood with my mum (obvious reasons) she got really annoyed and stressed with me for not saying why i wasn't being very friendly to her. i was so tempted to jsut say why but then stopped myself as it would have been awkward. and i had to get ready for work so couldn't be bothered to talk to her about it then.

More awkward than having to listen to them? However awkward you think it might be to tell them, it's better than suffering like this, and it can only get better. Maybe only talk to your mum, might make it slightly less embarrassing?
ice_cube
Pretend its not happening, and invest in earplugs. Saying something will only result in extreme embarrassment.

i agree. Listen to heavy metal music.
Reply 13
Yeah, I always hear my parents at it. I hate it, so I normally just put some music on and wear headphones.
No, don't just sit there doing nothing! That won't make the problem go away - will only make it worse in the long term. Talk to your mum!
very loud music, they might get the point
Reply 16
maybe while their doing it you should nput on some loud music loud enough so they can hear it and maybe they will get that you can hear them doing it.
ewww

--------------

my rents split up years ago when i was really little so ive never heard it thank god.
Poor u! Have sex with ur bf really loudly when u know they can hear u. If they moan at u about it then u can bring up the fact that they do it all the time and it bothers u, if they dont mention it, then ummm ........ buy some earplugs or something lol
Pink Sparkles
Poor u! Have sex with ur bf really loudly when u know they can hear u. If they moan at u about it then u can bring up the fact that they do it all the time and it bothers u, if they dont mention it, then ummm ........ buy some earplugs or something lol

i agree but continue till they bring it up
Reply 19
when your rents are doing it get a broom and bang the ceiling really hard with it haha

Latest

Trending

Trending