Brown Eyed Girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by stratomaster)
so what? I have sex with trees. the park keeper doesnt complain
That’s called dendrophilia...

You realize your parents have to have sex to result in you?
And that having sex results in them being healthier and less stress?
And that they are a married couple in their home they shouldn't have to gag each other whilst doing it... (Unless they want to of course )

Plus your parents probably are going to have to put up with you doing it one day so they might as well get it in while they can.... (This is were I could get really low and way you could have competitions :p: )

Yeesh if my mum wants to have sex she's damned welcome to..... As long as she keeps of my bed :p:
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Theres no reason for some people here to be so harsh.. the OP was just saying how hearing them bothered her. I dont think it means she'd rather they stopped altogether; just not having it so that her doorknob rattled while they did it.

Its kind of a respect thing I would say - you wouldnt have loud erm 'animated' sex if you knew your parents would hear and so I think its important that they have the same respect for you.
Leigh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Fortunely I've never experienced this. We spoke about it at college and I was surprised that I was one of a very small number who hadn't, I didn't realise how common it was.

A friend of mine has to put up with it a lot. His mum's new boyfriend just moved in and they both work weird hours so only get to see each other during the day when he's home. He is thoroughly sickened by the sound, and resorts to going into the garden and smashing glass bottles on the floor until they come down to see what the noise is. Selfish, but it works.
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
Theres no reason for some people here to be so harsh.. the OP was just saying how hearing them bothered her. I dont think it means she'd rather they stopped altogether; just not having it so that her doorknob rattled while they did it.

Its kind of a respect thing I would say - you wouldnt have loud erm 'animated' sex if you knew your parents would hear and so I think its important that they have the same respect for you.
my mom doesn't really care unless i wakes her up... and it would take an elephant in her room to do that.

parents have sex... turn your radio on.
Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by brighton)
Thanks a lot Profesh, what sensitive words you utter! I may be taking a gap-year now, but me hearing them having sex is not just a recent thing. So although the recent events alone might not be enough to corrupt me, the earlier ‘events’ could potentially have done. I first heard them having sex when I was very young...say about 6/7, and I clearly knew what was going on. I felt sickened and disgusted knowing what they were doing, and it often made me very upset.

As I also mentioned, they've actually had sex when I've been in the same room as them, just metres away (I clearly remember one occasion when I was about 8). Despite me trying to interrupt by saying I couldn't sleep, they didn't stop. I honestly don’t think I’m being ungrateful or childish by thinking their actions are inconsiderate. If they know I’m awake, lying just metres away and clearly upset by what’s going on, I don’t see how you can say they’re doing nothing wrong

Oh, and enough of the ‘pathetic little ingrate’ comments please. I’m very grateful to be living at home and having a privileged life, I like my parents very much and am very glad they still love each other, but as Helenia said, I don’t need audio and/or visual proof of it when I’m trying to sleep.

I totally empathise with you Smoomoo (and others), my door rattles when they’re having sex. Lovely.
I have to agree the incidence where they did it with you in the same room is awful, I mean all dues to them they my not think that you can hear them now But they clearly knew then you were in the same room. Its the kind of imagery you'll be spouting to a Psychologist in a couple years time no doubt. I think they have been unfair on your part.. But wether you want to tell them or not is a sensitive issue.

This Might Help - Similar to your situation.
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Same room is to far...

but next door or upstairs they can do what they like.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks a lot Profesh, what sensitive words you utter! I may be taking a gap-year now, but me hearing them having sex is not just a recent thing. So although the recent events alone might not be enough to corrupt me, the earlier ‘events’ could potentially have done. I first heard them having sex when I was very young...say about 6/7, and I clearly knew what was going on. I felt sickened and disgusted knowing what they were doing, and it often made me very upset.

As I also mentioned, they've actually had sex when I've been in the same room as them, just metres away (I clearly remember one occasion when I was about 8). Despite me trying to interrupt by saying I couldn't sleep, they didn't stop. I honestly don’t think I’m being ungrateful or childish by thinking their actions are inconsiderate. If they know I’m awake, lying just metres away and clearly upset by what’s going on, I don’t see how you can say they’re doing nothing wrong

Oh, and enough of the ‘pathetic little ingrate’ comments please. I’m very grateful to be living at home and having a privileged life, I like my parents very much and am very glad they still love each other, but as Helenia said, I don’t need audio and/or visual proof of it when I’m trying to sleep.

I totally empathise with you Smoomoo (and others), my door rattles when they’re having sex. Lovely.
The problem, here, is that you haven't stopped complaining. 'Same room' incident aside, I decidedly echo the sentiments of 'Brown Eyed Girl', above: buy some earplugs, or find somewhere else to bed down for the night.
dave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hanzing)
I have to agree the incidence where they did it with you in the same room is awful, I mean all dues to them they my not think that you can hear them now But they clearly knew then you were in the same room. Its the kind of imagery you'll be spouting to a Psychologist in a couple years time no doubt. I think they have been unfair on your part.. But wether you want to tell them or not is a sensitive issue.
As I also mentioned, they've actually had sex when I've been in the same room as them, just metres away (I clearly remember one occasion when I was about 8). Despite me trying to interrupt by saying I couldn't sleep, they didn't stop.
Hanzing. I have to agree on that

Brighton. I failed to read the piece I quoted. What they did was not on, imo, not in front of an 8 year old who's old enough to ask questions. My apologies for that failure.
Ok so you need a to find a way to approach your parents that is going to cause the least embarrassment all round.
You could try a "humorous" approach - I think maybe with whichever parent you get on with best. Something like "hey mum/dad, what position were you using last night? You sounded like you were having a ball" - see what I mean?
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bodhisattva)
Hanzing. I have to agree on that
I seem to bump into you everywhere, Dear boy
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hearing my mother scream as she came was quite disturbing but not in a bad way, i just took the mick out of her, if your parents have to put up with you doing it (my rooms right above my moms and she can hear quite a bit) then you should extend the same courtesy.
i do agree though if the door knobs rattling then it may be time for a quick drink down the pub to steady your nerves though.
My moms quite decent about it usually though if shes gonna do it she kicks me and my brother out the house or else does it when were both at work and shes not.
dave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I seem to bump into you everywhere, Dear boy
............... :eek:
devilgirl999
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont think people are saying that parents shouldnt or dont have sex they just dont want to hear it or see it i dont think its asking that much! i think its downright selfish of the parents to do that, cos if i had a boyfriend round and was having sex id try and keep quiet just as id expect my parents to do the same which touch wood they do.

tho when i was about 7 i definately heard my aunt and uncle doing stuff when i was staying over at their house which grossed me out (i learnt about sex very early from getting a 'facts of life' book from a car boot sale lol but thats another story)

i also think its sick that parents dont consider their childs feelings of embarrassment, id be angry with my mum or dad for doing that when they knew i was awake or aware of it. i walked in on my brother doing it with his girlf once cos i didnt hear him say wait which was not as bad as if it had been my parents

so those of you who think we're being pathetic for saying we dont want to hear it or see it consider how youd feel if you were in their position or were confronted by your child who was so upset and traumatised for hearing you shag their dad or stepdad
brighton
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Profesh: Firstly, I have only posted three messages on here so it's not like I'm bombarding the boards with my apparently incessant complaining. AND I hadn’t complained about it before my post yesterday. Secondly, as I was trying to get at in my last comment, at times when I hear them now I'm reminded of how terrible I felt when I heard/saw them when I was younger-so I still feel as easily upset now as I did then. I'm perfectly mature and well adjusted in every other aspect of my life, but this still gets to me. I'm EVER so sorry if you think I'm childish/over-complaining/ungrateful etc, you're obviously a much better person than me. Well done you.

P.s (needed to alter this as you edited you comment) I have an ipod I could listen to, but it may block out the noise, but will not allow me any extra sleep. Also, I don't think I should have to move room, mostly because there are no other available beds in the house and our sofa isn't comfy.
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
when i was a klid i just slept.... i didn't really listen out for things lmao.

if you walked into you mates house who you lived with and they were at it on the sofa your not about to sit down with them stop them doing it and have a chat about making to much noise when they are there or doing it in their own living room.

Just cause they are your parents doesn't stick them in a different realm were they arn't people.
Yeah i agree don't do it in the same room. but perhaps you should have some respect for them and their sex life. when parents stop doing it for god knows how many years then you can complain.
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bodhisattva)
............... :eek:
...Man?!

--------------

(Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
when i was a klid i just slept.... i didn't really listen out for things lmao.

if you walked into you mates house who you lived with and they were at it on the sofa your not about to sit down with them stop them doing it and have a chat about making to much noise when they are there or doing it in their own living room.

Just cause they are your parents doesn't stick them in a different realm were they arn't people.
Yeah i agree don't do it in the same room. but perhaps you should have some respect for them and their sex life. when parents stop doing it for god knows how many years then you can complain.
Just the thought of it.. I have walked in on my friends twice having sex.. and it isnt a pleasent experience. I cant look at them the same since.. (Especially as one involved Whipped cream...)
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Whipped cream would be rather stick...

invent a system.... put a stick on the door when there at it.
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're parents are entitled to a sex life, and 11pm isn't exactly early evening. Yeah, doing it in the same room is a bit much, but if they're in their bedroom and it's a reasonable hour of the night (which I'd argue 11pm is, you really should just live and let live).
dave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
...Man?!
What day is it?
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by devilgirl999)
i dont think people are saying that parents shouldnt or dont have sex they just dont want to hear it or see it i dont think its asking that much! i think its downright selfish of the parents to do that, cos if i had a boyfriend round and was having sex id try and keep quiet just as id expect my parents to do the same which touch wood they do.
Were they domiciled at my house, I'd expect discretion; otherwise, it behoves you (as a guest) to make the necessary provisions (within reason) for maintaining peace of mind. Christ almighty, get a grip.

Profesh: Firstly, I have only posted three messages on here so it's not like I'm bombarding the boards with my apparently incessant complaining. AND I hadn’t complained about it before my post yesterday. Secondly, as I was trying to get at in my last comment, at times when I hear them now I'm reminded of how terrible I felt when I heard/saw them when I was younger-so I still feel as easily upset now as I did then. I'm perfectly mature and well adjusted in every other aspect of my life, but this still gets to me. I'm EVER so sorry if you think I'm childish/over-complaining/ungrateful etc, you're obviously a much better person than me. Well done you.

P.s (needed to alter this as you edited you comment) I have an ipod I could listen to, but it may block out the noise, but will not allow me any extra sleep. Also, I don't think I should have to move room, mostly because there are no other available beds in the house and our sofa isn't comfy.
You're 'still complaining' however many years on, is what was implied.

And I said earplugs, not earbuds. Failing that, try cotton wool.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.42%
No (460)
60.53%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.05%

Watched Threads