Turn on thread page Beta

I got hold of this item by Jo Brand and it seems she is not very enamoured of our 'Dave'. :eek:

Hello,
    I'm Jo, a Labour supporter and you may have seen me on telly. Have you noticed the big news this week?
    David Cameron (Dave to his friends), an old Etonian distantly related to the Queen, has been elected leader of the Conservative Party.
    At last, it has dawned on Tory members that they need to be in touch with the reality of the modern world and the lives of the majority of British people!
    As his first step, Dave is bringing back that icon of the new century William Hague to the front bench.
    No one seems to know a lot about what Dave actually believes in but we have a few clues.
    We do know that he first emerged as a special adviser to Norman Lamont, standing right behind him on 'Black Wednesday' as Norm was announcing a "turbulent day on the markets", or 15 per cent interest rates to you and me.
    In his four years as an MP, Dave hasn't been notable as a champion of change and modernisation of the Tories' policies. On the contrary, like his Tory colleagues he voted against the extra spending on the health service and schools, opposed the Winter Fuel Allowance and voted against increasing maternity leave and pay.
    He voted in favour of keeping fox hunting. He didn't just support the Tory manifesto earlier this year, with the policies to subsidise private health care and private education and the irresponsible focus on immigration, he wrote it.
    Dave is passionate about one thing, not saying what his new policies will be. The one glimmer we do have is that he is looking at a flat tax.
    This is the new idea which means that nurses and home helps pay the same tax rate as the millionaire. Alongside that he wants a new spending rule which would have one result - billions of pounds of immediate cuts in public services, just when we are seeing real improvements working through.
    The Tories think that they have the whiff of power in their nostrils and they will be willing to do and say anything to get it. The Tory press are lining up as cheerleaders and we can expect multi-millionaire backers to throw any amount of money at the Conservative Party if they sense a real chance of victory.
    All the best,
    Jo Brand
    Labour supporter
    Author's note: Research, facts and figures clearly not done by Jo Brand as I am not that clever.

Myself, I can't see how 'Dave' would have been a special adviser to Norman Lamont during 'Black Wednesday' since he might have been too young then. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Myself, I can't see how 'Dave' would have been a special adviser to Norman Lamont during 'Black Wednesday' since he might have been too young then. Any thoughts?
    he was his special adviser

(Original post by william1986)
    he was his special adviser
    He was only 26 at the time. Must have been his lack of experience that helped create the debacle that was Black Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan of Jo Brand but that statments fantastic. Im not a torie myself and Im not a fan of Cameron but is he not better then then the pro capital punishment Thatcherite David Davies? Better of two evils?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by yawn)
    I got hold of this item by Jo Brand and it seems she is not very enamoured of our 'Dave'. :eek:

Hello,
    I'm Jo, a Labour supporter and you may have seen me on telly. Have you noticed the big news this week?
    David Cameron (Dave to his friends), an old Etonian distantly related to the Queen, has been elected leader of the Conservative Party.
    At last, it has dawned on Tory members that they need to be in touch with the reality of the modern world and the lives of the majority of British people!
    As his first step, Dave is bringing back that icon of the new century William Hague to the front bench.
    No one seems to know a lot about what Dave actually believes in but we have a few clues.
    We do know that he first emerged as a special adviser to Norman Lamont, standing right behind him on 'Black Wednesday' as Norm was announcing a "turbulent day on the markets", or 15 per cent interest rates to you and me.
    In his four years as an MP, Dave hasn't been notable as a champion of change and modernisation of the Tories' policies. On the contrary, like his Tory colleagues he voted against the extra spending on the health service and schools, opposed the Winter Fuel Allowance and voted against increasing maternity leave and pay.
    He voted in favour of keeping fox hunting. He didn't just support the Tory manifesto earlier this year, with the policies to subsidise private health care and private education and the irresponsible focus on immigration, he wrote it.
    Dave is passionate about one thing, not saying what his new policies will be. The one glimmer we do have is that he is looking at a flat tax.
    This is the new idea which means that nurses and home helps pay the same tax rate as the millionaire. Alongside that he wants a new spending rule which would have one result - billions of pounds of immediate cuts in public services, just when we are seeing real improvements working through.
    The Tories think that they have the whiff of power in their nostrils and they will be willing to do and say anything to get it. The Tory press are lining up as cheerleaders and we can expect multi-millionaire backers to throw any amount of money at the Conservative Party if they sense a real chance of victory.
    All the best,
    Jo Brand
    Labour supporter
    Author's note: Research, facts and figures clearly not done by Jo Brand as I am not that clever.

Thank you for sharing that. It's nice to see something like this written about the man. Even better to see it written by a person like Jo Brand.

ReputationRep:
    It makes a change from her usual fart/arse/I'm fat jokes.

ReputationRep:
    Jo Brand
    Labour supporter
    Labour really are worried about Cameron.

Next they'll be recruiting Kenneth Clarke to bring up the old divides over Europe... He said what!

ReputationRep:
    She could agree with me on everything, but i'd still want her to die in horrible, painfull, preferably long-winded way.

(Original post by DanGrover)
    She could agree with me on everything, but i'd still want her to die in horrible, painfull, preferably long-winded way.
    Why - because she's a Labour supporter? :confused:

--------------

(Original post by John82)
    Labour really are worried about Cameron.
    Do you really believe that?

And why would they be "really worried about Cameron" since he hasn't talked about any of his own policies yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Why - because she's a Labour supporter? :confused:
    Did you not see the "Even if you agreed with me on everything" bit? I just hate HER. Her drole sort of comedy, similar to Jimmy Carr's in that respect, only works if you are funny - if not, it just makes you seem even worse than if you were just telling bad jokes. She's horribly ugly, and she's on everything! Go away and die!

ReputationRep:
    Did you not see the "Even if you agreed with me on everything" bit? I just hate HER. Her drole sort of comedy, similar to Jimmy Carr's in that respect, only works if you are funny - if not, it just makes you seem even worse than if you were just telling bad jokes. She's horribly ugly, and she's on everything! Go away and die!
    I don't know, I think I hate that smarmy Southern c*nt Carr even more.

But yeah, Jo Brand sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    It makes a change from her usual fart/arse/I'm fat jokes.
    Normally I'm not a huge Joe Brandt fan, but one of her fat jokes about how getting into her mini was like putting a coat on really made me laugh.

Plus I thought she was good on mock the week, although not as good as the guy who had to be the voice of the silent majority "speaking for them that would of shot that burgler a third time" Ahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    jo brand is hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Yes. I don't think Labour have a clue about how to deal with Cameron. Alastair Campbell appearing on the Dimbleby show claiming he is right-wing won't work.

And why would they be "really worried about Cameron" since he hasn't talked about any of his own policies yet?
    Politics isn't about policy anymore - Tony Blair has changed that for the foreseeable future. Presentation and perception are the most important aspects. Cameron seems to have impressed the media and talking about climate change and more women MP's may change perception. Not sure where I heard it but apparently there was a survey done that showed something like 60% support for a Conservative policy drop to around 30% after those taking the survey were told it was a Conservative policy.

ReputationRep:
    They really are panicking if they have to reel her in. Odd how she doesn't mention she went to a selective school. And the fact David Cameron didn't choose to be related to the Queen or be born into that particular family.

ReputationRep:
    So my mate Davo was direclty responsible for sending the UK and the rest of the developed world into recession? INteresting....

Hang on, wasn't the stockmarket crash a direct result of computers programmed to sell at a certain price and once one started to sell they all they all followed suit?

--------------

(Original post by qeboy)
    They really are panicking if they have to reel her in. Odd how she doesn't mention she went to a selective school. And the fact David Cameron didn't choose to be related to the Queen or be born into that particular family.
    well done!

I just hate HER. Her drole sort of comedy, similar to Jimmy Carr's in that respect, only works if you are funny - if not, it just makes you seem even worse than if you were just telling bad jokes. She's horribly ugly, and she's on everything! Go away and die!
    ....and because of the above, you hate her so much that you want her to die?

Now, that's not very nice, is it?

--------------

I never fail to be surprised at the vehemence that party supporters can display to those who don't support their political ideals - and that goes for all parties.

Funny old world we live in, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, wasn't the stockmarket crash a direct result of computers programmed to sell at a certain price and once one started to sell they all they all followed suit?
    And the government raised interest rates to 15% and spent billions trying to tempt currency speculators into buying the pound and failing.
    And the fact David Cameron didn't choose to be related to the Queen or be born into that particular family.
    Ah, those common ol' Tory MPs.
    http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ed2_gra416.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Given that they've had pretty much everyone connected to the Labour party (including now reeling in Jo Brand to affix her name to one of Millbank's press releases) trying desperately to throw mud at him all week shows they're rather worried. My particular favourite was Roy Hattersley in the Grauniad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    jo brand is hilarious
    Is that why you have her picture as your avatar?

Labour isn worried. They know the public are not stupid.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.