Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I've won two items of ebay from the US. One cost £63.91 (£56.96 without) with shipping and the other £103.54 (£85.45 without) including shipping. I was just wondering, how much customs and excise am I going to have to pay.

I tried looking on the official site but I read something about 3.5% but that was only one part of it, and as they are both over the secondary limit...well I haven't a clue. Anybody in the knowhow what I'm going to have to pay?

They are also being sent like express, delivery within 3-5 days.

Any help of what sort of things I'm going to pay would be appreciated!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Expect it to be a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh dear....for a pair of trousers and a t-shirt. I've never had any trouble before though I've never really spent more than £50 and usually they mark it as a gift and low but I think that would nullify the insurance thing.

ReputationRep:
    Ok how much would the customs be on something worth £56.96. I've e-mailed the other seller asking them to cut the price off and to declare it as a gift worth £7 or less (in US$ of course) but is there any sort of online calculator or anything?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt it be the same as if you were flying back from the usa and that would be like 100 and something you know like you can buy upto a certain amount not sure how much though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filly)
    Wouldnt it be the same as if you were flying back from the usa and that would be like 100 and something you know like you can buy upto a certain amount not sure how much though.
    Well it says that if the item is a gift with a value of less thatn either £7 or £36 there is no customs or excise blah blah blah but then they chunter on for ages about how to pay etc, but not how much you're going to pay :|
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But they'll open it, and if it's misdeclared you'll get into loads of trouble

ReputationRep:
    Thats why I said cutting off the price tag....lol it makes sense though because I've bought tons of L.A.M.B from the US and I was always confused as to why they do that....that's why i've never been like Oooh customs? before lol

id imagine they add 17.5% to it. but declare it less than what its actually worth

ReputationRep:
    Right here we go, when shipping into the UK you are liable two two different taxes
    Customs duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over and (Charged at 3.5% for the full value under the value of £290)
    Import VAT - if the value of the goods is £18 and over (Charged at the UK flat rate of 17.5%)

If something is declared as a gift and is declared as under £36 then there is no tax to pay etc.

So on a top declared as £56.96.....so...
    customs duty SHOULD be £2
    VAT should be just under £10

So thus, hypothetically, I should have to pay just under £12.

I think......

but we all know how much the government wants to make as much as possibly to fund their pointles wars and to help make the roads worse.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You have to pay a handling charge as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You have to pay a handling charge as well
    Oh yeah...*sighs* anybody know how much that is...or does that again, depend on the mood of the silly people sorting it out.

ReputationRep:
    I just found a document saying that thte flat rate for shipping is 12% in terms of duty rate which is £6.85 (However it says there are differences with imports from the US where special duty rates may apply) then add that to the S grade VAT tax which is 17%=£9.70. Plus handling rates....ahh gawd.

ReputationRep:
    God Bless Her Majestys Revenue and Customs

ReputationRep:
    Pffttt, I spend ages living in poverty. I get no help with my student loan. I get nothing from my parents and I'm not even getting a christmas present, just a plane ticket for 3 weeks of them shouting at me. So I buy myself two little presents...and look what the bloody government does.

*rolls eyes*
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The Royal Mail website says the handling charge is about £4, but I've heard people complaining they've paid more.

ReputationRep:
    I ordered some clothes from a US company - the cost of the clothes was £60, and I ended up paying another £40 in customs duty and handling ... I won't be doing that again. It worked out at about £20 for tax and then another £20 in handling charges ... grrrrrrr

Apparently customs will check any parcel where the contents have a value of over £30 - oh, and if stuff gets damaged or not delivered then it's almost impossible to get any kind of compensation

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking on ebay at all these customs and import duty rants and they keep saying about the clothes thing but nobody is actually saying about it.

Grrrr, this is frustrating lol.

Trying to read through the literature as well, I'd decoded it and then smack into the wall of US clothing duty being different.

Why can't they make things simpler? Le sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paeony)
    I ordered some clothes from a US company - the cost of the clothes was £60, and I ended up paying another £40 in customs duty and handling ... I won't be doing that again. It worked out at about £20 for tax and then another £20 in handling charges ... grrrrrrr

Apparently customs will check any parcel where the contents have a value of over £30 - oh, and if stuff gets damaged or not delivered then it's almost impossible to get any kind of compensation
    That's harsh. Well, luckily these two pieces of clothing I really want. They still have tags wot not (Though the trousers tag may have the price removed hopefully). Anyway, I got both at such a bargain, they aren't made anymore etc. If I get them and they don't fit I can resell them I guess (I don't want to though ) and make an absolute killing.

Would it make any difference that it's a private to private exchange instead of a company to person...I've known people to get stung by customs people when they buy from companies. But the amount of clothing I have bought from the US and not had to pay any customs.....hmm

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.