Anyone see the obvious racism on BBC news?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
MarcusTheEskimo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Stephen Lawrence pair face murder trial

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13438629

"Gary Dobson, 35, and David Norris, 34, are accused of killing the black teenager at a bus stop in Eltham, south-east London, on 22 April 1993."

"They said: "The murder of Stephen Lawrence, a young black man of great promise, targeted and killed by a group of white youths just because of the colour of his skin."

Obvious emphasis on the fact that it was a White-on-Black crime

However, contrast this with:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/2946152.stm

Six Asian guys murder 1 White guy, not a single mention of race in the entire article.

Just seems like a perfect example of one rule for X, another for Y rule. I just wish that people would treat all races equally, is it so much to ask?
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was a racial attack. Details of skin colour should be reported when race is what caused it.

Second attack seems to have been theft rather than deliberate race based murder
Stratos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why are they broadcasting a 18 year old event now?
Jimbo1234
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MarcusTheEskimo)

"Gary Dobson, 35, and David Norris, 34, are accused of killing the black teenager at a bus stop in Eltham, south-east London, on 22 April 1993."

"They said: "The murder of Stephen Lawrence, a young black man of great promise, targeted and killed by a group of white youths just because of the colour of his skin."

Six Asian guys murder 1 White guy, not a single mention of race in the entire article.

Just seems like a perfect example of one rule for X, another for Y rule. I just wish that people would treat all races equally, is it so much to ask?
Media sensationalism is nothing new, be it racism or the next deadly flu.
HugoDuchovny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

thats nowhere near as bad as this

DH-Biker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Now then. :rolleyes:
LaughingBro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is this meant to be surprising?
Blueflare
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't know what racism is.
JaiiStarh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stratos)
Why are they broadcasting a 18 year old event now?
Because justice is only now being served. It has been taken back to retrial,apparently they have found 'new' reliable evidence.
MarcusTheEskimo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blueflare)
You don't know what racism is.
Racists like this person I quoted are exactly the reason I made this thread - they think that racism can only apply to certain races.
Yawn!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

What's an Asian? Asia's a pretty big place. Bottom line is BBC doesn't want to say Pakistani. So they lump Indians and Bangladeshis in to make the Pakistani community feel better, even though Pakistanis commit most 'Asian' crimes.
think1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh FFS this was a racially motivated crime so race should be mentioned. Had it not been racially motivated itd be a different story. May i aslo point out that this was 18 years ago when racism was even worse then it is now. These men never got punished. It really pisses me off when people try and moan at how hard the White man has it. People like you op don't reAlise how good you have it. Yes some black and Asians can be racist towrds whites but I doubt that it has ever been on the scale that black and Asian people have had it. Like someone said you don't know what racism is.
MarcusTheEskimo
Rep:
?
(Original post by aprilterri)
Oh FFA this was a racially motivated crime so race should be mentioned. Had it not been racially motivated itd be a different story. May i aslo point out that this was 18 years ago when racism was even worse then it is now. These men never hot punished. It really pisses me off when people try and moan at how hard the White man has it. People like you op don't reAlise how good you have it. Yes some black and Asians can be rackets towrds whites but I doubt that it has ever been on the scale that black and Asian people have had it. Like someone said you don't know what racism is.
Another racist I see.

Unless you're going to actually address the point made in the OP, take your racist rants elsewhere.
Stratos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JaiiStarh)
Because justice is only now being served. It has been taken back to retrial,apparently they have found 'new' reliable evidence.
Ah interesting, I'm surprised it took that long.
think1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Another racist I see.

Unless you're going to actually address the point made in the OP, take your racist rants elsewhere.
Oh so anyone ho disagrees with you is a racist? Like I said you donut know what racism is throwing it around like that. I dis adress your post. You are a stirrer as can be seen by your highlighting of only certain parts of my post. You said that the BBC was being racist and I am pointing out that it is not racism but fact and that your concept of what is racist is flawed. I also pointed out the black and Asian people can also be racist. I find you very juvenile. I truly hope that you never have to face real racism.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Only because they are anti-white and trying to get the point across that all white people are evil.
notepad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I'd have to agree and disagree. I think the same things happen with 'Asian' and most notably 'Muslim.'

But yes, I hate it when they include pedantic deals just to fuel hatred/other reasons. Like when Zidane head-butted that Italian dude, the news report spoke about whether he was a practising Muslim or not??
MarcusTheEskimo
Rep:
?
(Original post by aprilterri)
Oh so anyone ho disagrees with you is a racist? Like I said you donut know what racism is throwing it around like that. I dis adress your post. You are a stirrer as can be seen by your highlighting of only certain parts of my post. You said that the BBC was being racist and I am pointing out that it is not racism but fact and that your concept of what is racist is flawed. I also pointed out the black and Asian people can also be racist. I find you very juvenile. I truly hope that you never have to face real racism.
Treating one race differently (with a negative bias) relative to another race is racism. Get that into your skull, racist.
JaiiStarh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stratos)
Ah interesting, I'm surprised it took that long.
I know. It is quite shocking. Especially as literally everyone knew/knows who the murderers were/are. The Media made such a huge deal out of it (rightly so) I'm sure names and addresses were even published. I hope this time the evidence is actually substantial and those pigs get put away
username616640
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Six Asian guys
at least they didn't call us yellow people.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads