Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright. I feel like I thought some of you might get a kick out of this; it made my week. In English class, we had to put together a portfolio of all our works we had made that year, ending it with a self evaluation paper. I waited until Sunday night to do it, so naturally I was in a bad mood; I wrote my feelings down in a rush, finishing the paper in under twenty minutes. I sent it to a few of my friends who thought it was brilliant; they sent it to some of their friends and it circulated around to lots of kids at my school. Here is my paper:

My name is Evan and I've written things for English; if you haven't guessed that by now, you probably haven't understood any of my writings either. I can honestly say I enjoy writing, though not often am I proud of my essays. If there's one thing that I always strive for, it's sincerity. Many times I have been sincere despite knowing the negative effect it will have on my grade. But frankly, I can't bring myself to lie in my own writings, because I think of my writings as a record of my feelings, and I can't betray them.

I could say that I've improved immensely writing-wise this year, due to my excellent class and all the people who have shown me certain techniques to use, but I'd be flat out lying. I have never scored lower in an English class, especially when there was lots of writing involved. Yes, yes, I know, you don't give out A's easily. That's crap. I've seen people get A's from you, and I've read their papers, and the only consistent trait I've seen in those papers is that they're lengthy. So, any good grades I've gotten this year, I've gotten from longer papers. There's one trait: I've made my papers longer, to increase my score. This paper will be long, because I'd like a good score. But then there's that off chance that you reading this will make you think differently and mark off points for my paper being too long, just because you're tricky like that. Screw it; maybe I'll make this paper short. Or I'll make the font smaller, the margins wider, and the spacing only 1.5. That way I'll have lots of content but the paper won't be long. Are you confused yet? I certainly am, as I've been for the last few months. Another positive trait: I've become more and more pi-angry-in my writing since the beginning of school. Maybe it's because I don't expect I can make a good grade, and that makes me angry. And when I get angry, (the last trait), I get brutally honest. So here's honesty at it's finest.

Oh, here's the best part: my weaknesses. One from off the top of my head is that I don't revise my work. It bores me. By the time I've written something down, I've emotionally moved on and coming back to it seems like a repeat of a show. It seems to me like a rough down is the raw transfer of emotions, and editing it is just censoring and making it less sincere. Which leads me to another weakness: I say what ever is on my mind. Want an example? This CAP makes me want to punch babies. Yeah, I went there. I think this goes back to me just being overly sincere, but maybe it's something deeper than that. I'd elaborate, but it's late and I have better things to do, like stare at the wall or floss. Last and final weakness: I don't like following the rules, unless I understand the reasoning for them. I lost many points last year due to MLA format, mainly because I didn't understand why MLA was so important. If it weren't for my adaptation skills, you'd still see me with a second grade heading on each paper.

I think this is my favorite writing assignment of the year. Firstly, it's oozing with irony. It's called a self-evaluation, but it really is a critique on the teacher, isn't it? That makes me giggle. Secondly, it gives the writer a lot of liberties to be creative. It at least seems that way; perhaps I was mistaken and this paper will be F-A-I-Led. And thirdly, and this is by far my favorite thing about it, it's just so much fun to write. After a long, hard day of hanging out with friends and watching movies, it's finally time for me to relax and put together my CAP. Oh my god, yes! I'm becoming unfocused… deep breath… I'm back. I'd really like to know your reaction to this paper. As long as you get past the whole you hating me, it probably will be a bit entertaining for you. It sure was entertaining for me.

So, my teacher had heard about my paper before I got to class (I have her second period). She read it, loved it, and is now sponsoring me to begin a school newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    I like it

You show 'em.

ReputationRep:
    :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Brave.

Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    Yeah . It's gonna be one of the best decisions of the semester for me. I've already gotten my favorite writers on board.

Any suggestions for sections? Does anyone have a school newspaper they could tell me about?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, in my school we had a section for things students sent (students that aren't technically in the newspaper group, though that'll probably be tricky in your first edition), we had one which was interview with the teachers, to be honest that one was a bit silly but people seemed to like it. Umm... there was a section on current affairs and a last one for the student council, and obviously one where any editorial the group felt was important went so that one wasn't a regular.
    That's all I can remember but I think there was more, after a while, the bit sent in by students grew quite a lot, most of it was anonymous though...

ReputationRep:
    Sports, entertainment, politics, and opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    School sports, school entertainment, school politics, and school opinions?
    (Remember: this is a) Junior High School and b) Conservative capital of the world)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that took some balls to turn it in, so good for you. You have a good writing style though, I think it was a very unique angle and it sounds like your teacher respected that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Wow, that took some balls to turn it in, so good for you. You have a good writing style though, I think it was a very unique angle and it sounds like your teacher respected that.
    Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, i don't think it's terribly funny/well-written, but i do admire you for being brave enough to turn it in.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't see how it's all that brave. He goes on about how he enjoys writing, which is going to make any English teacher beam with joy. Now, if you'd said something to the effect of "I hate writing and no amount of reflective thought will provide me with any more positive feelings on the act of writing than how glorious it would be to stab someone's eye out with a pen (or bash somebody's skull in with a keyboard, as our more modern equivalent)..." etc, I could get behind it as a bold move.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really try to make it well written; I just wanted to get my feelings across. And it was more of the assignment that made it "brave"; it was supposed to be a formal essay, and it's a quarter of our semester grade. (And I am a student whose grades matters to him)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Well, I can't see how it's all that brave. He goes on about how he enjoys writing, which is going to make any English teacher beam with joy. Now, if you'd said something to the effect of "I hate writing and no amount of reflective thought will provide me with any more positive feelings on the act of writing than how glorious it would be to stab someone's eye out with a pen (or bash somebody's skull in with a keyboard, as our more modern equivalent)..." etc, I could get behind it as a bold move.
    maybe you've got a point actually, i hadn't thought about it like that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, bold or not, it paid off.

You all have to understand that they are very strict down here and it's only 10th grade. People thought I'd get introuble for saying "crap".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    Well, bold or not, it paid off.

You all have to understand that they are very strict down here and it's only 10th grade. People thought I'd get introuble for saying "crap".
    why would you get in trouble for saying crap? since year 9 we've been allowed to swear in our english essays and when writing stories, so long as it was not swearing for the sake of it, and that it was necessary to the writing. plus, 'crap' isn't a swear word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pratikv)
    why would you get in trouble for saying crap? since year 9 we've been allowed to swear in our english essays and when writing stories, so long as it was not swearing for the sake of it, and that it was necessary to the writing. plus, 'crap' isn't a swear word.
    I know. It's stupid. But the people here are very authoritarian. I almost got sent home (held in inschool suspension for an hour) for having a one-by-one inch hole in my pants on the knee.

ReputationRep:
    I know you go to shepton, and I go to another school, Jesuit, and my friends were telling me what u did. I wish I had enoguh courage to do something like that. Way to go on having an opportunity for a school newspaper! And keep up the increasingly popular writing. later mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    I know. It's stupid. But the people here are very authoritarian. I almost got sent home (held in inschool suspension for an hour) for having a one-by-one inch hole in my pants on the knee.
    that's so harsh! what a bunch of w***ers! just wondering, what time is it in greece at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Did you really hear about it?!

i didnt know it was trans schools

Anyways..
    I think it's 7:24 in greece.

But it's 11:25 here in plano, texas.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.