Simple Module Watch

J.F.N
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
What isomorphism shall I use to show that any simple module V (over a ring R) is isomorphic to R/M, where M is a maximal ideal?
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is this not simialr to things like in group and ring theory where you use what is called the canonical (or natural) homomorphism to show very similar types of theorems?

Do you have something you call a canonical or natural homomorphism/isomorphism for use on modules? I've never done any work specifically on modules, so I'm not sure even how you define one, never mind how to do about defining the canonical homomorphism on one, but I guess it would be similar to groups.
J.F.N
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roger Kirk)
Is this not simialr to things like in group and ring theory where you use what is called the canonical (or natural) homomorphism to show very similar types of theorems?

Do you have something you call a canonical or natural homomorphism/isomorphism for use on modules? I've never done any work specifically on modules, so I'm not sure even how you define one, never mind how to do about defining the canonical homomorphism on one, but I guess it would be similar to groups.
Never mind, I got it. I used an isomorphism from R to V, showed that R/ker is a field, and that ker is hence maximal. Then using the first iso. theorem, R/ker is isomorphic to Im, but Im=V since V is simple, so the result is proved.
evariste
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by J.F.N)
Never mind, I got it. I used an isomorphism from R to V, showed that R/ker is a field, and that ker is hence maximal. Then using the first iso. theorem, R/ker is isomorphic to Im, but Im=V since V is simple, so the result is proved.
here is a way to do it.
there is a bijection between the ideals J of R st IcJCR and sub-modules of R/I given by J ->J/I. from this we can deduce R/I is simple iff I is maximal.
to show every simple module is iso to R/I with I maximal:
let M be a simple module.
let x be in M
define f:R ->M by r->rx
then M =im f since M is simple
by first iso
R/ker(f)=imf=M
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by J.F.N)
I guess that is similar to what I was talking about then, as you generally create the natural hom to prove first iso theorems I think.

Glad you're sorted anyway
J.F.N
Rep:
?
While we're at it, what are the finitely generated modules over the ring Z/nZ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.68%
No (588)
72.32%

Watched Threads