Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4518900.stm

And who said that one thing doesn't lead to another?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's entirely different. I don't expect this character believes his comments will result in a ban, but maybe they will raise awareness a little - which can't be a bad thing. Smoking affects everyone in the room, whereas drinking doesn't (unless the person's an aggressive drunk).

To quote your signature:

"The sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively, in interfering with the liberty of actions of any of their number, is self protection. The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will. is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant." - John Stuart Mill

I believe a ban on smoking would fall under the "prevent[ing] harm to others" category, whereas limiting drinks to three would contravene Mill's idea.

ReputationRep:
    The head of the Royal College of Surgeons is quite an influentual position... I suspect this might lead to a few proposals being banded around the Scottish Parliament... and you fellows inevitably follow our oppressive laws...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)

well the logic of "one thing leading to another" is badly flawed here but the idea nonetheless is an interesting one.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. When someone starts chiselling away at certain liberties, it all starts to give way.

ReputationRep:
    Terrible idea. It's all about individual responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    The article quite correctly refutes the one idea leading to another theory:

" 'Outrageous idea'

But Paul Waterson, of the SLTA, said the idea was a non-starter and that the comparison with smoking was misleading since MSPs had not rationed tobacco consumption. "

What a ludicrous idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)

what so because smoking was banned, gradually everything in the world will be banned... drinking, christmas, having sex, breathing?!

ReputationRep:
    In pubs, probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacques Derrida)
    Terrible idea. It's all about individual responsibility.
    I agree, that's what freedom is about. You're allowed to do a hell of a lot more and hence learn from your mistakes.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.