YazzySmalls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pbunny)
They're absolutely fine! There are no subject requirements but essay based subjects at higher level are recommended and you've got two essay based higher levels (English/Danish) plus an essay based standard level (history), so don't worry!
So nice to hear! Thank your for your reply
Advertisement
ann_vishinsky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have Economics, History, English B HL and Russian A Literature, Computes Science, Math SL. Recently received a conditional offer to read Law at Oxford.
ann_vishinsky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by YazzySmalls)
What about studying law with these subjects? Mine are meant for the medical studies ;.)

HL, Chem, Bio, Eng A, Danish A HL
SL: Math, History
Why do some IB students have 4 HL subjects? Does it give any benefits in uni application? (In my school, it was never an option, so I am just curious.)
Advertisement
YazzySmalls
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ann_vishinsky)
Why do some IB students have 4 HL subjects? Does it give any benefits in uni application? (In my school, it was never an option, so I am just curious.)
Oh, I chose that myself! I honestly don't think it will benefit you when applying for uni. To be frank, I started out with 3, but ended with 4 because I wanted my native language (Danish) to be moved from SL to HL, because I simply couldn't cope with the fact, that I was having it on SL, when I had my 4th language (Eng A) on HL. :rolleyes:
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ann_vishinsky)
Nope, taking 4 higher levels isn't beneficial as universities don't recognise the extra effort as they could care less -> this is how UK universities see it. America universities may acknowledge the extra effort as the most competitive unis take your course rigor into account, taking an extra HL makes your schedule more rigorous but the extra effort isn't worth much as all american colleges view the IB diploma as the ''most rigorous course load'' so in essence taking the standard 3 HL/SL combo gets you the same credit in terms of effort. But if you do score a 6 or 7 and attend a university that gives credit for IB subjects then you'll get extra transfer credit.
Advertisement
melliflower
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey. Do you think that this combination would be good for Law?

HL: English A, German B, Math
SL: French ab initio, Biology, History
williee12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
honestly, they don't really care about specific subjects when doing law apart from maybe english at HL. i would suggest choosing subjects you're best at and/or the 'easier' subjects such as Geography HL, Business HL and math studies, its more about getting maximum points possible that will get you a better chance
Advertisement
CherylLoh123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm considering law but I'm also considering veterinary science haha. I know they're literally on like opposite ends of sticks but as much as I love arguing and everyone tells me I'd be really well suited for law, I love animals as well and I love the sciences too much to give them up.

I got accepted to study IB with

HL - Bio, Chem, Psych,
SL - Eng, Math, Italian ab

Are these terrible decisions if I decide to study law ?
Tomwilson1702
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How is:

English HL
Physics HL
Geography HL

Maths SL
French SL
Chemistry SL

for applying to law?
Advertisement
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tomwilson1702)
How is:

English HL
Physics HL
Geography HL

Maths SL
French SL
Chemistry SL

for applying to law?
Doesnt matter imo, do the ones you will get the best grades in. They are fine because they are all traditional subjects.
FavIB
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Right now i am trying to decide between doing Biology SL or ESS SL as well
Which of the two do you think would help me more in my field of law?
I hear ESS is easier, but is it enough?
Advertisement
harshitha
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well hi im considering taking these exact choices..would you mind telling me which uni is it you got into?
and did these subjects make it easy for you to get into the university?
thanks for helping!!
anna2345
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by smartini)
I have applied for Law and gotten a few offers from the UK and Hong Kong for this years intake. I don't think there is a preferred combination of subjects just a combination that would show a positive overall academic performance. My subjects were:
SL: Psychology, Math, Spanish;
HL: English A1, Economics and Biology

If you have any questions PM me or quote this message.
I've just wanted to ask, is it okey to take HL English, HL French and HL Psychology? Because many people wrote that I will also need HL History and HL Maths, but I'm not very good at them.
Advertisement
judge2017
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can you take mathematical studies if you're applying for law? I went on some university websites and it said that you should study subjects that render you fairly 'numerate'. Will taking the mathematical studies (which is the easiest math course in IB) change a university's perception of your mathematical ability?
Hahayolandalin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I want to choose dentistry in university what subjects should I need to get high level?
itsmeeeeeeeee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you got into law school without history?
emannii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by itsmeeeeeeeee)
you got into law school without history?
Most universities in the UK do not require any specific subjects however prefer that you take English as a higher level.

My higher leverls are: English, Business and Film
My standard levels are: maths stud, arabic and Biology

and i got offers for uni's this year now i just have to get the grades :0
Advertisement
Fargol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can we take philosophy HL instead of History Hl?
username4181174
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pitchayak)
I applied for law and i did:
HL History, English, Economics
SL Math, Physics, Thai

history is good because as someone said before it shows you can write essays and argue points well and defend your points of view. it also shows good analytical skills. my personal statement was pretty much based on my highers.

its also good if you can pick other analytical subjects or logic based ones . yeh
Wait this is amazing I have almost the same subject combo as you!
HL History, English A: Lit, Econ
SL Math, Bio, Chinese A: Lit
taylorswiftx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say that studying English Lit HL and History HL has helped me in my legal career so far. However, French SL and Psychology HL also were good to have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads