dreamingofstars
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am going to my final year of diploma and will be applying to study law at universities in the UK.
I dont think there is any university in the UK that has a specific subject requirement for law (although some recommend english A higher of an essay based subject).
Law is a really vigorous and competitive course so it is recommended that you take math standard level and make sure that any of your 3 higher levels are a language B(it is often not considered as an actual higher level by some universities).

The subjects I'm taking:

History HL- really good essay based subject, allows you to practice writing and analyzing and prepares you for the lnat essay(or cambridge admissions test)
Global Political HL- keeps you up to date with current events, also practicing essay writing, helps for lnat (knowing about current events)
English A HL- just proves that you have good english language skills, also essay writing and analyzing, (for international students for some uni's counts as english language proficiency)
Math SL
Environmental systems and societies SL
Arabic B SL

The SL subjects you choose arent really relevant to your application so you can just choose whatever. Make sure your higher levels are the best subjects you can choose and are related to the humanities.
At the end of the day any subjects you choose will qualify because there are no recquirnments which is great if you change your career choice in the middle of DP. However the subjects above are better suited to studying law as well as it looks impressive for an application as it shows dedication to the subject and your ability to preform well in university for law.
Advertisement
pandorawx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would it be fine if I were to take English literature, Spanish ab initio, Geography at SL and Maths, Chemistry and Economics at HL?
Avonw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im starting ib next year and imCurrently on pre ib. Do you need to have history as a subject? Im thinking also about applying to medicL schools or studyin chemistry or biology. So if i only have english as HL is that enough to get into law?Our school had a possibility to do an irregular diploma and if you take HL math you have to take four HL and then drop something laterHl math,english,chem,bioSl finnish and physics
Advertisement
dreamingofstars
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pandorawx)
Would it be fine if I were to take English literature, Spanish ab initio, Geography at SL and Maths, Chemistry and Economics at HL?
Any subject combination is fine, I would just say to choose subjects that have an emphasis on essay writing. My subjects prepared me a lot for the application process in general. The personal statement was easier to write about because I was able to tailor a lot of my internals towards law and so I wrote about them. But also tests like the lnat or the cambridge one is basically can you write a good essay which I think is a lot different than the one you have to write in english A and more like what you would write in global politics or similar.
KUMAR003
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Im in Yr11 and am picking my subjects for IB right now. These are the ones Im picking for IBL Psychology, Geography
Advertisement
Emmafcgs
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fatits)
IB subjects for LAW?
I'm going to do

HL History
HL Music
HL English
SL Physics
SL Maths
SL Spanish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads