Australian Race Riots Watch

Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Basilisk)
I HATE the stupid, idiotic white "Australians" who took over Australia and took away the rights from the Aboriginies and raped the women.
WHat, like the British?
BaconBoy
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
When the Aborigonies were in Australia on their own the country was going nowhere, the British came and helped make it the wonderful country it now is, the white population have been succesful in creating such a state,he aborgionies are now all alcholics and just seem a blip on the horizon for this now great country. The country was colonised over a hundred years ago so get over it
!!! Yeah but they did not deserve that, even if they were savages.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OK, I posted this in another forum.

Australian multicuturalism has worked very well. The issue here, in these riots, was that two surfers were beaten up by a gang of youths of "middle eastern appearance". This spilled into an all out brawl.

Now, Cronulla and Marubra are not the nicest suburbs to be in, there is a huge territorial war between surfer groups such as the 'Bra boys, and they often fight amongst each other. People choose to join what is known as John Howard's surf squad (i.e. they go on the dole). The issue here is gangs, groups etc tresspassing on terrotorial areas traditionally held by certain 'crews'. There has been terratorial violence between whites Australians in this area since the 60s, when surf culture really took hold. Basically, if you were the wrong crew and you tried to get onto thier beach, you bacsically got the **** kicked out of you.

"Race" riots in Australia happen probably once a year, last one I remeber was in Redfern where police were blamed for the death of a boy they were chasing, a suspect for a robbery. He fell on some iron railings and died. This led to all out rioting in the streets of Redfern, which is largely populated by Kooris, or Aboriginal Australians. Redfern is exceptionally poor, overrun with drugs and drink. There wasn't much to loot or set fire to.

I don't think you can base the fact that one riot held by Australian whites proves multiculturalism has failed. We (Aussies, Italians, Greeks, Viets, Chinese, Japanese) get on very well, probably cos we were selective in who we let in and had a policy called "White Australia" in the '50s which has largely be described as white nationalism. Since its abolition, immigration, as those of you who have travelled to Australia and wanted to stay, has been controlled strictly, usually based upon family connection and/or job/career/qualifiactions. Its fairly hard to get in, compared to the UK where, as I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, you need to be a citizen on an EU country?

The mob here, unfortunatley, were angry about the incident and unfortunatley, struck out at the one "identifier" which is that these people were of middle eastern apperance. They could well have been Autralians (i.e. first/second generation Australians) for all they knew. Patriotism is a great thing, and I am very proud to be an Australian. We don't often show out patriotism, except for Australia day where everyone gets drunk and has a barbie. That's just how we celebrate.

However the crowds at Cronulla were looking for a cause, and found it in the colour of someone's skin.
Nysh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jacques Derrida)
First of all read here...

Guardian Article

Well, it appears to me that there is only one way of solving the failure that is multiculturalism in Australia. Any none indigenous ethnicity should leave. I'm sure the native aboriginals are disgusted with the way foreigners have created so much tension.
Having lived in Australia (and being an Aussie citizen, partially), and writing an essay on Multiculturalism and Australia, what can I say but this was bound to happen.

The way Australia has been going on, especially with it's media (damn Channel Nine), there has been a lot of racial tension, with people saying that "all muslim people should be removed from Australia".

Add this to Howard's new "terrorism defences", and the ad the govt put on all TV channels, where you had to report anything you thought was "suspicious", people have become paranoid with Xenophobia.

Australia has to tackle this problem head on, and deal with it's racial tensions. This has been going on for too long. The media has to realise that the White Australia Policy died (definitely) in 1973. The Sydney Morning Herald, the West Australian, etc, need to provide a more neutral outlook to race problems.

Muslim people need to be given a voice, and a thorough investigation and survey needs to be done into race relations.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're obviously too young to understand the concept of hypocrisy.

Anyway, back to the original point of this. Should the non-indigenous populations leave Australia?
Of course not. Assuming the out of Africa theory is right then the aboriginal people aren't indigenous to Australia themselves; they've just been there longer than the European whites.
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BaconBoy)
!!! Yeah but they did not deserve that, even if they were savages.
SAVAGES?????

Do you even know anything about Aboriginal people? They were one of the most peaceful people, and environmentally friendly people on the Earth. They could draw birds eye maps of the land without ever having stood on higher ground. They have amazing spacial artistic abilities.

Stop showing off your ignorance.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nysh)
SAVAGES?????

Do you even know anything about Aboriginal people? They were one of the most peaceful people, and environmentally friendly people on the Earth. They could draw birds eye maps of the land without ever having stood on higher ground. They have amazing spacial artistic abilities.
Someone's been watching too much Crocadile Dundee. :rolleyes:
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Of course not. Assuming the out of Africa theory is right then the aboriginal people aren't indigenous to Australia themselves; they've just been there longer than the European whites.
Yeah, 48,000 years longer...

But even so, the non-indegenous people cannot be removed because the remenants of Aboriginal people is mixed in with non-Aboriginal blood. Plus after the massacres that took place, there are so few left, and their culture is so rapidly depleting that it would just be impossible.
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Alright then, how can anybody claim to have ethnic ownership of land then? Surely those that own it are those that paid for it?
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Someone's been watching too much Crocadile Dundee. :rolleyes:
Actually, I lived there, thank you very much. I studied Aboriginal history at school.

I suggest you read True Country by Kim Scott for a deeper understanding of Aboriginal culture. It's the book (even if it's fictionous) that opened my eyes.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nysh)
Plus after the massacres that took place, there are so few left, and their culture is so rapidly depleting that it would just be impossible.
Perhaps if they stopped drinking moonshine all day it would help.
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Alright then, how can anybody claim to have ethnic ownership of land then? Surely those that own it are those that paid for it?
Considering that Aboriginal people believe that the land owns them, and not the other way round.

But if you follow Land Rights claims, you have to show evidence of a continued connection the land to claim ownership. And that's only if the land is Government owned, and the agriculturalists don't really have a problem with you being there.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nysh)
Actually, I lived there, thank you very much. I studied Aboriginal history at school.

I suggest you read True Country by Kim Scott for a deeper understanding of Aboriginal culture. It's the book (even if it's fictionous) that opened my eyes.
Great! I lived in Darwin for 8 years! So I suggest you lecture me not about what books I read little girl.
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And who gave them the alcohol? Who caused them to fall into the poverty trap? Who removed children from their parents?

They've got a sad past, which has to be dealt with.
Segat1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They don't drink moonshine, they go to the bottlo (off licence) and spend their food money on boxes of wine which they then proceed to get blotto on. Their bodies metabolise alcohol differently to whites, so tend to become v dependant on it. Thats how the early settlers kept them as slaves.

Land rights is another thing. Nysh knows the stuff. You ca't sell land that did not belong to you. The Mabo legacy changed lots of stuff for Kooris. They couldn't even vote until the 60s.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nysh)
And who gave them the alcohol? Who caused them to fall into the poverty trap? Who removed children from their parents?

They've got a sad past, which has to be dealt with.
I've spent my life surrounded by alcohol (I even used to half own a pub) but I'm not an alcoholic.

Caused them to fall into the poverty trap? WTF are you talking about? These people live on roots and ants anyway. Do you think that if it weren't for the white man they'd be enjoying lobster for breakfast?
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Great! I lived in Darwin for 8 years! So I suggest you lecture me not about what books I read little girl.
But of course, just because you lived there for 8 years, you know them inside out? Darwin's has a large Aboriginal population, yes, but it hardly represents the entire country's Aboriginal People.

Have you read any of Kath Walker's poetry?
Byronic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
That's not so much the point I'm trying to get at. Let's not get bogged down in historical claims to land just yet as that changes everything. Let's look at the idea that an ethnic group, given today’s legislation and convention, can claim ethnic ownership over a piece of land.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nysh)
But of course, just because you lived there for 8 years, you know them inside out? Darwin's has a large Aboriginal population, yes, but it hardly represents the entire country's Aboriginal People.

Have you read any of Kath Walker's poetry?
It (Darwin) has a large aboriginal prison population. About 80% if I recall. But I suppose Kath Walker's poems will help me to understand. :rolleyes:
Nysh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've spent my life surrounded by alcohol (I even used to half own a pub) but I'm not an alcoholic.

Caused them to fall into the poverty trap? WTF are you talking about? These people live on roots and ants anyway. Do you think that if it weren't for the white man they'd be enjoying lobster for breakfast?
The alcohol issue is a parallel to that of the American Indians in USA.

You don't know about the Poverty trap issue?

Aboriginal People, after being forcefully removed from their land (and therefore their culture), find themselves unable to get jobs other than that on minimum wage, and usually part time. Therefore it's just more practucal to live off the dole, because it pays more, and they don't have to work for it. That is the poverty trap.

If you go to the Northern parts of WA, especially near the Kimberley regions, you can see "Aboriginal shanty towns" where there are no jobs available, the schools have barely any attendence, and the health care is appaulling. Nothing is done about this.

Aboriginal people do actually eat lobster, turtle and a lot more WITHOUT white influence. Now if you'd read the book I was talking about you would know that. They also eat Kangaroo, etc. So yes, they eat roots and insects, but so do you, at least the roots- you eat onions, garlic, etc, which are root vegetables...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads