The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Howard
Impossible. Land ownership was a completely alien concept to the abos.

It might have been in the past, and of course that would suit us to believe it to have been so since it was this nation that took over land that did not belong to us - but since the aborigine who shouted to those who proclaimed that Australia belong to white Australians that they took it from him - it would appear that land ownership is no longer an alien concept to the indigenous Australian.
Reply 101
I agree, JonD. It's highly hypocritical to see people urging whites to get out of Australia, that they shouldn't be there because Australia belongs to the indigenous non-whites etc. These are the same people who are all for non-whites in indigenous white lands.

Part of this problem lies in the fact that many people think that (Western) whites owe non-whites things from the past; that we should be uber-generous because 'we' enslaved 'them' all those years ago, treated 'them' badly etc.
Reply 102
Nysh
I think you have nothing to worry about. There's not going to be mass-migration.

Wake up and smell the coffee, dear.
isnt this kinda the same thing to the riots in france a while ago

minorities immigrants aren't treated the same as natives.
each side holds different views as to why they aren't treated the same.
vicious circle i call it
Reply 104
Err, no; the Lebanese people are not being persecuted. Simply, a lot of Lebanese are involved in disgusting gang cultures, and the white Australians have had enough.
Atomik
Err, no; the Lebanese people are not being persecuted. Simply, a lot of Lebanese are involved in disgusting gang cultures, and the white Australians have had enough.

didnt have time reading up the whole news

so they only fire at the lebanese, not other minority origins?
Reply 106
Well, there are some reports that Mediterranean people are being targeted (no idea how true this is, though), but it's mostly Lebanese Muslims who are singled out. They have difficulty assimilating themselves into Australian culture (as do most Muslims in white-majority countries if you think about it), so they turn to gang culture 'n' such.
Reply 107
Sadly, I'm not 100% sure the point of this thread has sunken in.
Atomik
Well, there are some reports that Mediterranean people are being targeted (no idea how true this is, though), but it's mostly Lebanese Muslims who are singled out. They have difficulty assimilating themselves into Australian culture (as do most Muslims in white-majority countries if you think about it), so they turn to gang culture 'n' such.

now i think of it, thats true

if i am aussie i wouldnt like that either...
Reply 109
Jacques Derrida
Sadly, I'm not 100% sure the point of this thread has sunken in.

For the benefit of some, can you remind them of the point of the thread?

--------------

Jacques Derrida
Like everybody is non-indigenous to Britain?

Actually, there are indigenous Australians.

Actually the only indigenous Australians are the plant life and river creatures.

The aborigines were the first people to sail from New Guinea to Australia approximately 60,000 years ago, according to anthropologists and scientists. So even they were not indigenous.

This is where the suggestion that non-indigenous peoples should leave becomes farcical. :rolleyes:
Atomik

I manage that fine thankyou

(thick tuat)
Reply 111
yawn
It might have been in the past, and of course that would suit us to believe it to have been so since it was this nation that took over land that did not belong to us - but since the aborigine who shouted to those who proclaimed that Australia belong to white Australians that they took it from him - it would appear that land ownership is no longer an alien concept to the indigenous Australian.

Not the point. The land was "taken from them" at a time they didn't own it anyway. They only recognize land ownership now because the white europeans introduced it. I'm afraid you cannot claim something back that by your own acknowledgent you never owned in the first place.
Reply 112
Howard
Not the point. The land was "taken from them" at a time they didn't own it anyway. They only recognize land ownership now because the white europeans introduced it. I'm afraid you cannot claim something back that by your own acknowledgent you never owned in the first place.

So what constitutes a 'claim' on whether land belongs to one or not?

I am genuinely puzzled since I find it hard to accept that if one 'comes across' land, then simply claiming it as one's own might result in the land actually becoming one's own.

If this is so, then we have robbed many nations of their own land.
Reply 113
yawn
So what constitutes a 'claim' on whether land belongs to one or not?

I am genuinely puzzled since I find it hard to accept that if one 'comes across' land, then simply claiming it as one's own might result in the land actually becoming one's own.

If this is so, then we have robbed many nations of their own land.

That's because we were better fighters than they were.
Reply 114
Yes, violence is the perfect basis for a stable civilisation
Reply 115
ArthurOliver
JonD, this is balanced, blames both tribes for the recent fun and games:Majority Rights have been covering it here, here and here with good comments, including from a Lebanese.

And there’s background here:here:here:and here:It’s the blend of deeply ingrained cultural and religious misogyny, a lack of social and cultural capital which will keep them poor, and racial and religious hatred toward other Australians which make these Lebanese unassimilable. Plus, Islam does not assimilate - Islam means submission! The Lebanese guy who comments on the Majority Rights pages says that their hatred and public disrespect toward other cultures would not be permitted in Lebanon. In fact, no majority culture anywhere outside the West allows minorities to immigrate who openly hate the indigenes and wish to overturn their culture and civilisation. That’s just sensible practice. We should try it if we wish to survive as majority peoples with confident cultures. It's not the Lebanese who have the problem, it's all majority White nations who are behaving suicidally.

Someone on MR asks, "should the Australian Aborigines have welcomed the Brits with open arms and 'embraced the diversity'? Were the Brits doing them a favour?" Same goes...

Nush, there’s a good page on the racist romanticisation of Aboriginal life here, and a good piece about whether the Australian state should allow it’s Aboriginal population to observe traditional law, here.

>>Mass-Islamic immigration and the concomitant racially-motivated gang-rape, terrorism, and organised crime, as it affects Australia.

Firstly I would NEVER consider the Sydney Morning Herald as "balanced" newspaper. They are completely pro-John Howard, and in the election just last year, the editor actually told people that he supported John Howard and the Libs. Of course they're going to argue that 'there's no race problem in Australia' and blame it equally on the minority group.

And Aboriginal people did show the Brits what plants/animals they could eat and how to process them, when the Brits arrived.

Do you want to know why assimilation failed? Simply because by the end of it, there were more people wanting to move out of Australia than there were wanting to move it. That attitude was NOT welcoming, and was saying that 'If you're not like us, then you're not welcome"- without helping migrants to assimilate. Read Donald Horne (he was an amazing man) if you don't believe me.
Reply 116
Apagg
Yes, violence is the perfect basis for a stable civilisation

Is it?
Reply 117
Atomik
You think that people from different cultures, living in the same country, should be treated differently in regards to prison punishment? How 'equal' of you! So, by your terms, if the aborigines were culturally not allowed to be locked up, you wouldn't believe in banging any of them up if they commit crimes?

Prisons are not the only form of punishment. There is a theory that some people go to prison because prison life is nicer than normal life- you get a decent meal 3 times a day, clean beds, showers... it's not luxury, but for some it's better than home.

There are worse things than being locked away.
Reply 118
Howard
Is it?

So your post seemed to imply.
Reply 119
graduate_kc
isnt this kinda the same thing to the riots in france a while ago

minorities immigrants aren't treated the same as natives.
each side holds different views as to why they aren't treated the same.
vicious circle i call it

This is a great article on the french riots.

Latest

Trending

Trending