The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm sorry, but a size 10-12 is NOT fat. There is no 'teenage world' or 'fashion world'. There is one world, the real world. And in that world, calling size 10-12 fat is not just wrong, it is harmful both to your own sense of wellbeing and the mental wellbeing of others.

At size 10-12 you should pretty much be able to wear what you want. You can't have curves and expect to fit into the generic, size 8 model, it just doesn't happen.

Honestly, the only way to feel good about the way you look is to learn to love your body the way it is naturally. That way you don't spend all your time worrying about how much you do or don't eat, or going to the gym five times per week.

I'm a size 8-10 on top, 12-14 on the bottom and I genuinely like my body - I have a better body than I deserve while eating whatever I want and doing no exercise. Yes, I complain when something doesn't suit be because its cut for someone who is a size 8 from head to toe. But that's life, you move on and you find something that makes you look and feel good. Focus on your good points, because they are the things that you can accentuate, and learn to love them more than you dislike the things that aren't so good.
Shylock
well maybe not you but american girls look up to nicole richie and want to be 'just like her' and modelling companies seem to think you should be thin so you're perfect.i'm not saying 6 is good.just saying she has every right to say she 'thinks' she looks fat.but she knows she isn't.unless of course she's got an eating disorder (hoepfully not).

nicole richie looks rank! she's just some plastic-unfantastic stick insect! any girl who looks up to her is a moron - you don't have to be wafer thin to look good! so what if models are generally speaking thin - there are plenty of models who aren't, such as the model who work for Guess - they're not fat by any means, but have a nice healthy look to them, especially kim smith! i just don't believe that girls should diet themselves to death because they think it'll make them look better.
oi don't eat me up i don't exactly think she's the most good looking girl in the world either.i'm just letting you be aware that some girls do look up to her.i'll just shut up now shall i?
Shylock
oi don't eat me up i don't exactly think she's the most good looking girl in the world either.i'm just letting you be aware that some girls do look up to her.i'll just shut up now shall i?

shylock, i wasn't criticising you at all, i'm just saying that i don't understand why people do it, that's all. i'm really sorry if i offended you. :redface:
it's k pratikv. :smile: :p: not mad at ya. it's just that's how they're brought up.hard to explain.american role models and ok everywhere really are models and celebrities and beuty pagent contestants.i watched this thing and this woman was like 'her children would never be fat and would be model thin' they couldnt have sweets and stuff and she sent them into beauty pagents from when they could walk and mmade them up and everything.it's all to do with the fact that fat people are frowned upon by society.if you're fat it means you're in less control of yourself meaning the thinner you are,the more likely you're respected and stuff.when you force that on children and they're brought up with that mentality,it's no wonder you've got anorexics.
Reply 25
L.J
I'm not saying I'm fat at all, I put "fat" as in, I'm not fat, but I'm made to feel fat by all these clothes like skinny jeans.

Mata - I'm not calling size 10-12 fat. I'm saying I *look* overweight in the clothes I wear and I don't understand why.

Helen, I'm not as thin as you seem to think, I'm no stick insect by any means. If you don't believe me look on facebook. I'm normal weight.

I'm talking more about dressing for my figure, I'm not saying I'm fat. Whether I'm happy with my body or not doesn't matter, I can't change it overnight, so I'm going to make the best of what I have but it's not working - that's my question!!

Sorry to everyone I offended, I really didn't mean to, I don't think even size 14-16 is fat (definitely not if you're tall). It's just, girls who are size 16 can look awesome, but somehow I look like a podgy kid still.

--------------

I agree Nicole Richie is far tooo thin. Nice hair and dress sense though.

Ah, alright... sorry, I just have this thing where I hate the fact that girls think they're fat when they aren't.

It might be your body shape, if its not your weight. Some people just aren't the right shape for skinny jeans and jumper dresses. The 'What not to wear' book by trinny and susannah might help, simply to show you what shapes you should wear for your body type?
Reply 26
wear stuff you feel confident in, if you feel confident, you look it, and thats what makes many attractive. Meanwhile, work out a bit, then youl feel healthy too! Youre only FAT if you convince yourself you are, but im sure youre totally pretty and look gorge anyway :smile:
Mata
Ah, alright... sorry, I just have this thing where I hate the fact that girls think they're fat when they aren't.

It might be your body shape, if its not your weight. Some people just aren't the right shape for skinny jeans and jumper dresses. The 'What not to wear' book by trinny and susannah might help, simply to show you what shapes you should wear for your body type?

trinny and susannah look like they were dressed by blind nursery school teachers who went shopping at a jumble sale. :p:
How rude! Trinny and Sus are fabulous!
Nicole Richie looked nice before she went uber emaciated.Like,when she had just lost a few pounds...
Reply 30
L.J
I'm not saying I'm fat at all, I put "fat" as in, I'm not fat, but I'm made to feel fat by all these clothes like skinny jeans.

Mata - I'm not calling size 10-12 fat. I'm saying I *look* overweight in the clothes I wear and I don't understand why.

Helen, I'm not as thin as you seem to think, I'm no stick insect by any means. If you don't believe me look on facebook. I'm normal weight.

I'm talking more about dressing for my figure, I'm not saying I'm fat. Whether I'm happy with my body or not doesn't matter, I can't change it overnight, so I'm going to make the best of what I have but it's not working - that's my question!!

Sorry to everyone I offended, I really didn't mean to, I don't think even size 14-16 is fat (definitely not if you're tall). It's just, girls who are size 16 can look awesome, but somehow I look like a podgy kid still.

Looking at you on facebook, I can tell you that you certainly don't look like a podgy kid, lol!
To try and be useful: if you were to ask me then (from your recent fb photos) you might want to cover your upper arms a bit more. Your face doesn't look chubby or anything, they seem like the weakest link if you ask me, making you look larger than you are.

A.
Reply 31
pratikv
noone who's a size 6 looks good! i'm telling you that from a guy's perspective - guys don't like girls who are too thin - really, me and all of my mates think so! some people are just born thin and are a size 8 or something, but that's not their fault, but people who try to make themselves as thin as possible are complete idiots. i generally think that 10/12 is a nice size, as do many people i know - noone likes seeing someone's skeleton through their skin.

Excuse me but I'm a size 6 and I look good, I do not look like a rake! I happen to also be 5 feet tall so I look in proportion. It's a vicious circle, people either think size 12's eat like horses and are fat or small people are bloody anorexic :frown:
Reply 32
do you have any photos of yourself? I'm curious because when I was a size 10-12 I wouldn't say i was fat.

I think alot of its about confidence I have a friend who is a size 16+ and she can wear really revealing clothes and look amazing in fact she looks good in everything and has no trouble getting blokes whatsoever
Reply 33
To girl afraid,

Thanx for making me sick...
Can I point out that size 10-12 isn't really that meaningful in itself, it depends for instance on your height. Someone who is 5'2' and a size 10-12 will probably be 'normal' to 'curvy' - not fat, but not super-skinny either, whereas if I were a size 10 all over (I'm 5'9') I would look completely emaciated; if you're especially small or tall everything is scaled up or down so you're still in proportion, but larger or smaller in absolute terms.It also depends on your build; if you are curvy you'll probably be a larger size to accommodate the different bits.
I suppose what I'm really trying to say is that for one person being a size 10-12 might actually look relatively 'fat' (if they're small and not curvy, and usually a size 8, for instance) whereas for someone else (like me) size 10-12 looks skinny and they'd have to be about a size 16-18 to look plump. It depends on the person, so you can't say that the OP is fat or skinny just based on her dress size.

EDIT: seem to have missed out reading lots of the thread, people have already made this point (only more concisely, lol!). Sorry about the rambling!

Latest