Oxford Reach Schloarship Watch

rafiul
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
can anyone tell me, what are the minimum requirements to get this 'reach oxford scholarship'.?????
rafiul
Rep:
?
thanks for the reply. what does it mean by 'social commitment'.?? commitment to my own community, as in the guarantee that i will come back to my country after graduating or commitment to the oxford community....???
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rafiul)
thanks for the reply. what does it mean by 'social commitment'.?? commitment to my own community, as in the guarantee that i will come back to my country after graduating or commitment to the oxford community....???
This scholarship aims to financially support a student from a developing country, so the scholar is expected to have plan to use the education he/she receives to contribute to his/her country. There is a supporting statement that asks you to write about how you would use your education for the benefit of your community. This refers to your commitment to the community you come from. You do not necessarily have to return to your country immediately after your degree, but you must explain how an Oxford education would enable you to benefit your country.
rafiul
Rep:
?
got it
gandhistoto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just to add some more information to Omio's excellent answer, the scholarship requires 2 teacher's recommendations. It would be best that those teachers also understand your financial status, your academic capabilities, as well as your community spirit(like giving back to the society kind of thing) so that they will be able to write more about your condition and make it more favourable for you to get accepted.

I applied for the scholarship as well and got rejected :'(
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gandhistoto)
Just to add some more information to Omio's excellent answer, the scholarship requires 2 teacher's recommendations. It would be best that those teachers also understand your financial status, your academic capabilities, as well as your community spirit(like giving back to the society kind of thing) so that they will be able to write more about your condition and make it more favourable for you to get accepted.

I applied for the scholarship as well and got rejected :'(
I am sorry about the rejection. Do you mind if I ask when you applied? Was it for 2011 entry or 2010 entry? And what college did you get offer from and for what subject?
gandhistoto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha no problem, since I am still going there. I applied for the 2011 entry, in February I think. I got a place for Physics at Hertford. Are you currently an Oxford student, if I may know?
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, right. You're going to Oxford anyway.

No, I'm not at Oxford yet. Just have an offer.
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here's a Reach Oxford Information pack for 2009 entry. The recent information pack doesn't contain as much detail about the procedure and selection of the scholarship, and this document may be more useful to those interested.
Attached files
gandhistoto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey omio, so did u get the scholarship?
rafiul
Rep:
?
thanx for your info pack [email protected]
Ella92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I think it's still early to consider applying for 2012 Oxford Reach Scholarship but I really want to be prepared and ready for this.

I am from a developing country and could not possibly afford an education at Oxford. After learning about Oxford Reach Scholarship, I was very excited. However, the problem is I have to apply through UCAS and get accepted first. All of this is so new to me, I don't even know where to begin!

I've also checked the requirements for the course I want to study (International Relations) and found that I need to do this Thinking Skills Assessment. Now I don't have any test centre in my home country(Cambodia) and my country is not even in the search list on their website.

Please help. What can i do? I really want this. My country is in the eligible list to apply for Oxford Reach Scholarship.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's a TSA centre in Thailand and in Vietnam, so you would probably have to travel to sit the exam.

Also, International Relations is not available as a single degree subject at Oxford - it comes under the PPE degree course.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Omio)
x
This is about the same scholarship as the one you've got, right?
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Omio)
Yeah, this is the scholarship I got. I wasn't really planning to say this in a public thread, but anyway...
Sorry.:o: I assumed it would be OK because you repeatedly mentioned the name of the scholarship while you were applying for it.
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
Sorry.:o: I assumed it would be OK because you repeatedly mentioned the name of the scholarship while you were applying for it.
No, no, it's still ok! It just felt weird to be mentioned like that for the first time... :P
Ella92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you all very much for answering to my post.

Omio, I'm glad i found you. And Congratulations on getting the Oxford Reach Scholarship! You must have done exceptionally well..

Another question though, how do i know which specific college offer this scholarship?
yadiraycc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I checked on the website and it just said that the list wasn't available yet. They'll probably put it up sometime after October 15th.
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ella92)
Thank you all very much for answering to my post.

Omio, I'm glad i found you. And Congratulations on getting the Oxford Reach Scholarship! You must have done exceptionally well..

Another question though, how do i know which specific college offer this scholarship?
You probably can e-mail each college asking whether they would offer the scholarship in the year of your entry.

(Original post by yadiraycc)
I checked on the website and it just said that the list wasn't available yet. They'll probably put it up sometime after October 15th.
They never put up a list in the past five years (or perhaps ever in the past). In fact, the Student Financial Support office hasn't been able to answer this question before October 15 at the time of my application. Besides, putting up such a list could mean that those colleges would get oversubscribed with international applicants and a significant number of them would then be re-allocated. And putting up the list after October 15 won't do any good, since all applicants would have chosen their colleges or been reallocated by then.

However, this doesn't mean they won't do it in the future. Let's see what they do.
rafiul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Omio)
Yeah, this is the scholarship I got. I wasn't really planning to say this in a public thread, but anyway it's ok.

What I am going to suggest now about this scholarship application may be very different from what members on this forum would usually suggest about just getting an admission offer:

(1) You must have exceptional exam results. Every year over 30 students who have already been offered a place apply for this scholarship and only 2-3 candidates are awarded. Success rate is less than 10%, so you would have to be exceptional relative to most other successful Oxford applicants.

(2) You would have to choose your college wisely. Every year 2-3 specific colleges offer this scholarship and it probably may improve your chances of getting the scholarship if you are offered a place at one of these colleges. Although the scholarship profile may say that candidates can be transferred to another college if required, this is in practice not very feasible, according to what I have learnt from current Oxford students on this forum.

(3) You are likely to be re-allocated from your preferred college to a less subscribed one if your application doesn't stand in the competition at your first college but still merits consideration by the University. You would have to be careful when taking pre-interview tests so that you give your best performance and lessen your chances of being re-allocated.

Basically, these are the three things I had to keep in mind for making the scholarship application. Of course, you would first have to be offered a place and have the enthusiasm in your subject required to impress the admission tutors.

Regarding arrangements for the TSA, you should contact your local British Council office, explain your situation, and ask them to host the test. I took my Physics Aptitude Test at the British Council centre in my city.

Feel free to PM me about any question on this scholarship.

Best wishes.
I am also glad that I've found you.! seriously you have hugely motivated me and I have changed my plans after seeing your results....!!! Now I am considering to apply in 2013.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.13%
Yes - they're famous (285)
25.33%
No I don't (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads