The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2011-2012 : Discussion and Help

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evan7788
I'm quite looking forward to this next year, the course seems to be more interesting and challenging than higher's.

Who else is taking it, and why?

I hope to post some revision resources etc on here after the exams.

I took it once...

I got a C :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I took it once...

My school didn't even run it last year as only one person chose it!

Luckily this year there's about 6/7 so it will be running, however we were told by my Maths teacher that most pupils that took it 2 years ago either got a C or failed i think.

Scary stuff :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Taking it because I quite enjoy maths and kind of good at it.
It's an amazing course and I loved it; complex numbers, binomial theorem and differential equations. It's so fun. Just turns out the exam this year was horrible :tongue:
Reply 5
to the people sitting it next year, i hope the sqa give u a nice paper, unlike us. ours was from hell. good lcuk to the guys doing it
My piece of advice for you guys sitting it next year is to keep revising throughout the year. Do practice questions every other day. Review what you did during the week during weekends. If you do this combined with frequent notereading then you should get a good mark. :smile:

The course is pretty cool and challenging. I didn't think I would get through the course last October but everything will click in the end (that's if you revise!)
Reply 7
I'm taking it as I'm just generally interested in maths and hopefully, it will prepare me for university. Nice thread by the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
What happend to the topic title?

All the best for people taking it next year :cool:
Reply 9
Bump

First period today, was okay - we did differentiation with first principles :smile:
Reply 10
First period today as well. Our teacher only talked about what was in the course and we only got to touch on pascals triangle/binomial theorem.
I've got a double first thing tomorrow though. Hopefully we'll get a lot more done. Is it strange that I'm looking forward to it?:biggrin:
Reply 11
No, to be honest i am too - Maths is more interesting now :tongue:
Reply 12
Maths should be good this year - 2 good teachers and a very good small class :biggrin:
I know it will be hard, but if i can keep on top of the work, i have a good chance!
Reply 13
I'm quite looking forward to maths - haven't had a lesson yet though (my school was off today) and I don't know when I will since we haven't been issued our timetables yet. Slightly worried since the teacher openly admits he has never taught the whole course before since it was usually split between 2 teachers :s-smilie:
Ah well, should be fun :P
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I took it once...

Haha, same.
Oh, good times :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by john4994
but if i can keep on top of the work,

That's probably the hardest thing. It's easy before the summer but afterwards i can't be bothered :redface:
Reply 16
it wont be so easy for me - missing 6 school days for my duke of ed expedition in italy
Original post by john4994
it wont be so easy for me - missing 6 school days for my duke of ed expedition in italy

Missing 5 days for a school trip to Italy so we're in the same boat. :lol:

Taking Maths because I'm stupid and have a death wish. No, I needed 3 Advanced Highers for Pharmacy, thought Maths would be useful and didn't want even more coursework heaped on me as well as the Biology and Chemistry investigations, so this was my alternative to English or German, really.

Thanks for this thread by the way, OP. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ah, it looks so fun. I just really like maths, and it's going to help when applying for physics. We're only getting 4 periods a week though, so there's going to be a lot of hard work involved.
Reply 19
Words of wisdom.. Don't get complacent, and study your ass off for this!

Latest

Trending

Trending