The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecosse_14
Says the one with perfect grades :tongue:

Shhh, the fact that my Highers are straight Band 2s has made them less magnificent to me... :colondollar: I scowl at those with straight Band 1s...

Original post by dbou
I got 99% in both Maths AHs this year, I missed out the second part of a sentence in the Maths paper and used SOHCAHTAO in the Mechanics paper :redface:

......... :bawling:
Original post by dbou
I got 99% in both Maths AHs this year, I missed out the second part of a sentence in the Maths paper and used SOHCAHTAO in the Mechanics paper :redface:

That 1% would have killed me. In a way I would rather get 98% than 99% in an exam...

Was doing implicit differentiation day. Fun stuff...
Reply 182
Original post by laughylolly
That 1% would have killed me. In a way I would rather get 98% than 99% in an exam...

Was doing implicit differentiation day. Fun stuff...

It is!

Challenge.

Differentiate 5x3x2y4=2yx3+15x-3x^2y^4=2y-x^3+1

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR
It is!

Challenge.

Differentiate 5x3x2y4=2yx3+15x-3x^2y^4=2y-x^3+1

Spoiler

5x3x2y2=2yx3+15x-3x^2y^2=2y-x^3+1
Diff wrt x

5(6xy4+3x24y3.dydx)=2.dydx3x25-(6xy^4+3x^24y^3 .\frac{dy}{dx})=2.\frac{dy}{dx}-3x^2
56xy412x2y3.dydx=2.dydx3x25-6xy^4-12x^2y^3 .\frac{dy}{dx}=2.\frac{dy}{dx}-3x^2
56xy4+3x2=2.dydx+12x2y3.dydx5-6xy^4+3x^2=2.\frac{dy}{dx}+12x^2y^3 .\frac{dy}{dx}
56xy4+3x2=dydx(2+12x2y3)5-6xy^4+3x^2=\frac{dy}{dx}(2 +12x^2y^3)
56xy4+3x22(1+6x2y3)=dydx\frac{5-6xy^4+3x^2}{2(1 +6x^2y^3)}=\frac{dy}{dx}

In your solution a magic 3x^2 has appeared in the denominator... "/ and the y^3 has magically become y^4 "/
Reply 184
5x3x2y2=2yx3+15x-3x^2y^2=2y-x^3+1
Diff wrt x

5(6xy4+3x24y3.dydx)=2.dydx3x25-(6xy^4+3x^24y^3 .\frac{dy}{dx})=2.\frac{dy}{dx}-3x^2
56xy412x2y3.dydx=2.dydx3x25-6xy^4-12x^2y^3 .\frac{dy}{dx}=2.\frac{dy}{dx}-3x^2
56xy4+3x2=2.dydx+12x2y3.dydx5-6xy^4+3x^2=2.\frac{dy}{dx}+12x^2y^3 .\frac{dy}{dx}
56xy4+3x2=dydx(2+12x2y3)5-6xy^4+3x^2=\frac{dy}{dx}(2 +12x^2y^3)
56xy4+3x22(1+6x2y3)=dydx\frac{5-6xy^4+3x^2}{2(1 +6x^2y^3)}=\frac{dy}{dx}

In your solution a magic 3x^2 has appeared in the denominator... "/ and the y^3 has magically become y^4 "/

That serves me right for not checking it. :tongue:

Right you are.
Original post by JordanR
That serves me right for not checking it. :tongue:

Right you are.

I was like huh? Where did that come from, has he done some cool factorization thing? ahah
Reply 186
I don't even have a clue how or why I did that. :confused:

How many periods of maths does everyone get a week? I'm only getting 4, and I'm only getting 2 for physics. Soon to be 2 for English too... I hate my school.
Original post by JordanR
I don't even have a clue how or why I did that. :confused:

How many periods of maths does everyone get a week? I'm only getting 4, and I'm only getting 2 for physics. Soon to be 2 for English too... I hate my school.

I have 9 for Maths - 4 Algebra, 3 Calculus taught, 2 Calculus study.
Then 6 for Stats (all taught)
10 for Physics - 8 taught (4 unit's 1/3, 2 for unit 2, 2 for uncertainties/investigation) and 2 study periods.

I have my Maths subject assistant periods tomorrow. At the moment I have one period a week with a 1st year class (haven't had them yet, I hope they are nice to me!) and one period of a 4th year class. The 4th years I guess I should be more scared of but last lesson they seemed okay. It's like a set 4 class though and most the people just really really dislike maths. Hopefully I'll make it that little bit more fun for them haha
Reply 188
I have 9 for Maths - 4 Algebra, 3 Calculus taught, 2 Calculus study.
Then 6 for Stats (all taught)
10 for Physics - 8 taught (4 unit's 1/3, 2 for unit 2, 2 for uncertainties/investigation) and 2 study periods.

I have my Maths subject assistant periods tomorrow. At the moment I have one period a week with a 1st year class (haven't had them yet, I hope they are nice to me!) and one period of a 4th year class. The 4th years I guess I should be more scared of but last lesson they seemed okay. It's like a set 4 class though and most the people just really really dislike maths. Hopefully I'll make it that little bit more fun for them haha

That's... wow. I'm incredibly jealous. My school really are hopeless. Is it normal to have only like two periods a week for an advanced higher (where you're just on the computers using online resources anyway)?

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR
That's... wow. I'm incredibly jealous. My school really are hopeless. Is it normal to have only like two periods a week for an advanced higher (where you're just on the computers using online resources anyway)?

Good luck. :smile:

Yeah, we are lucky I guess. Though we had to timetable an extra 3 maths periods because we were only timetabled 5 and then no one could make the same periods so we are in random classes for 3. Like I'm probably the most ahead in my class but everyone else has missed so much because of DoE and not getting classes timetabled. For some reason they give 1st years periods priority over 6th years -_- .

And thanks! =)
Reply 190
My school give everyone priority over sixth years. They're using the excuse of, "advanced highers are supposed to prepare you for university." But really, two periods a week for physics and English? Really? Four periods a week of maths isn't exactly plentiful either...

Let us know how it goes. c:
Reply 191
i need advice, should i take AH maths, or higher physics? i need a B at AH maths or an A in physics. please help!
Original post by ice_03
i need advice, should i take AH maths, or higher physics? i need a B at AH maths or an A in physics. please help!

That would depend on what you need those grades for.

Are they for a uni course?
Reply 193
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
That would depend on what you need those grades for.

Are they for a uni course?

yeah they are.
Original post by JordanR
My school give everyone priority over sixth years. They're using the excuse of, "advanced highers are supposed to prepare you for university." But really, two periods a week for physics and English? Really? Four periods a week of maths isn't exactly plentiful either...

Let us know how it goes. c:

Had my 1st year class today. They seemed pretty nice. They were doing BODMAS... oh the good old days haha. I spent most the lesson helping this one boy who just kept on forgetting to use it! And I was trying to get him to write down each step as he went so he wouldn't miss anything out. Eventually got there and I was well proud. haha

The 4th year class I was also supposed to help out in today had a test and the teacher didn't bother to tell me...

In AH Maths we were doing Binomial theorem. Like learning how to use it to find the say x^5 term or whatever without writing it all out. It was a bit tedious cause I had already done it and my teacher was going super slow and he's pretty slow as it is. He's an alright teacher but just not my style of learning...
In AH Maths we were doing Binomial theorem. Like learning how to use it to find the say x^5 term or whatever without writing it all out. It was a bit tedious cause I had already done it and my teacher was going super slow and he's pretty slow as it is. He's an alright teacher but just not my style of learning...

You want to ensure you know that topic like the back of your hand before proceeding to the Complex Numbers section, so it will be a breeze when you come to the De Moivre's Theorem questions.
Original post by ukdragon37
You want to ensure you know that topic like the back of your hand before proceeding to the Complex Numbers section, so it will be a breeze when you come to the De Moivre's Theorem questions.

Second time learning it so hopefully it will stick good in my head! I try and do all the questions/exercises in the book so I get as much practice as possible. De Moivres Theorem sounds interesting... maybe a little scary?
Reply 197
Had my 1st year class today. They seemed pretty nice. They were doing BODMAS... oh the good old days haha. I spent most the lesson helping this one boy who just kept on forgetting to use it! And I was trying to get him to write down each step as he went so he wouldn't miss anything out. Eventually got there and I was well proud. haha

The 4th year class I was also supposed to help out in today had a test and the teacher didn't bother to tell me...

That doesn't sound bad at all. :smile:

Glad you sound like you enjoyed it (for the most part!).

Binomial theorem isn't the most exciting of topics. But like was said, it helps for de Moivre's theorem (which I just started learning).
Reply 198
Is the sine of the inverse sine of x, x?
Original post by soup
Is the sine of the inverse sine of x, x?

Yes, although the other way round, inverse sine of sine of x, does not necessarily equal x. Can you think of why?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)