The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really hope there's not a prove question that's NOT induction.

I'm the same with the question 8 ^ ^
I've done it before but dunno where I put that working. I just freeze up when I see stuff like that :/
I don't think I've seen a paper that's without a proof by induction question yet. I haven't started revision properly, gonna get to that tomorrow. Going to work through some past papers. Need to properly learn vectors too.
Original post by JordanR
I don't think I've seen a paper that's without a proof by induction question yet. I haven't started revision properly, gonna get to that tomorrow. Going to work through some past papers. Need to properly learn vectors too.

I've done from 2006 - 2011. It's just when I get to the last page that everything goes wrong :P
Didn't do so good in my prelims :/ 53% BOTH times...how unlikely ha. I always do a lot better in past papers but still. Not looking forward to it.
Original post by TheBambiHeart
I've done from 2006 - 2011. It's just when I get to the last page that everything goes wrong :P
Didn't do so good in my prelims :/ 53% BOTH times...how unlikely ha. I always do a lot better in past papers but still. Not looking forward to it.

Remember that prelims are generally intended to be set at a higher level than the exam papers (higher proportion of A/B questions). You'll also refine your AH exam technique a bit as you do more and more past papers, and learn the ropes.

You'll be fine. :smile:
Induction is pretty easy, vectors are pretty easy as well I reckon.
Are there any good resources online for learning vectors? I hate the notes I have.
Original post by JordanR
Are there any good resources online for learning vectors? I hate the notes I have.

Me? :dontknow: What do you want to know?
Scholar?

If you don't have it I'll maybe send you mine?
Original post by laughylolly
Anyone done the 2006 past paper and found that it was a particularly difficult paper compared to previous years?

P.s. Didn't realize the grade boundaries for an A were so low the last two years (67/68%) !

That's not low, that's just a couple marks below average.
Can anyone provide me with a few tips on how to tackle Integration by substitutions (given and not given)...
And is there a way in doing Question 7 of 2009, in two ways?

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2009/AH_Mathematics_all_2009.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
That's not low, that's just a couple marks below average.

I mean it was lower that I thought it was. I thought it was like 75% or something.
Original post by ukdragon37
Me? :dontknow: What do you want to know?

Haha, you probably are better than the notes!

If I have any specific questions I'll ask. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Scholar?

If you don't have it I'll maybe send you mine?

Didn't think about scholar. Will take a look.
Reply 1072
HSN have notes for AH too. I never really liked scholar. Apparently schools pay a lot for access though.
Maths.JPG

Can someone please try to explain how this works? :/
I don't understand why the A's sometimes change to I's? How do you know when to do this?
Original post by TheBambiHeart
I don't understand why the A's sometimes change to I's? How do you know when to do this?

I haven't worked through the question, but I think this will answer your question. II is the identity, so AA1=IAA^{-1} = I in the same way that xx1=1xx^{-1} = 1 (x0x \neq 0). Similarly, AI=AAI = A in the same way that x×1=xx\times 1 = x.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I haven't worked through the question, but I think this will answer your question. II is the identity, so AA1=IAA^{-1} = I in the same way that xx1=1xx^{-1} = 1 (x0x \neq 0). Similarly, AI=AAI = A in the same way that x×1=xx\times 1 = x.

OH RIGHT. I never thought of it like that! Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by laughylolly
Anyone done the 2006 past paper and found that it was a particularly difficult paper compared to previous years?

P.s. Didn't realize the grade boundaries for an A were so low the last two years (67/68%) !

2006...that was the paper I sat haha! Long time ago!
Is anyone else finding silly tiny mistakes are absolutely deadly in AH maths...

I'm doing the past papers, and some of the questions seem absolutely horrible when I'm doing them, and I can't spot anything wrong, until I come to mark it... and I'm left thinking... "Oh was that it". Most of the time, they're something completely silly which I should have got easily.

But I find that the hard marks to get are at the start of long questions... meaning if I get that bit wrong, I lose out on most of the rest of the easy marks. (All of them in the case that I can't see how to progress at all)

Can't wait for this month to be over haha.
Original post by latentcorpse
2006...that was the paper I sat haha! Long time ago!

Wasn't a very nice year I must say. But yes, must be a long time ago for you. 1 week tomorrow for the rest of us! Eeek!
Original post by Chrisruptor
Is anyone else finding silly tiny mistakes are absolutely deadly in AH maths...

I'm doing the past papers, and some of the questions seem absolutely horrible when I'm doing them, and I can't spot anything wrong, until I come to mark it... and I'm left thinking... "Oh was that it". Most of the time, they're something completely silly which I should have got easily.

But I find that the hard marks to get are at the start of long questions... meaning if I get that bit wrong, I lose out on most of the rest of the easy marks. (All of them in the case that I can't see how to progress at all)

Can't wait for this month to be over haha.

That's exactly what I think too! And it's always the long questions (10 markers :'() that I can't do. Weird to think that in 8 days I'll never ever do maths again :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending