The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Unit 2 Education with research methods THE AFTERMATH!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akemikat
No but I mean like over all :biggrin:
Because unit 1 is 48/60 for an A
Unit 2 is 60/90 for an A

So so overall that is 42 of the overall 150 (both units) to lose to get an A? I don't know:biggrin:

120/150 is 80%. so I imagine it's 120 marks over both units for an A.
Reply 101
Original post by The Patriot

Yeah that makes more sense :biggrin:
Reply 102
Original post by lilpg

Original post by lilpg
lol yhhh i know ..but i didnt get to go on to write about those big external factors..
is marketisation external? that wud be sick if it is ..that can be ma external factors lol

Ohhh right! Hmmm... don't think it is tbh : (
I thought the exam went really well.
Answered all questions, talked about gender, class and ethnicity and included studies. Everyone in my college included class ethnicity and gender so =/.

I did think the truancy question was abit iffy though.

But apart from that it's all good.
Now to revise for my 2 hr english lit exam on monday =[
Reply 104
Did anyone do the WJEC paper on education? ;o how did it go?
Reply 105

Thats from raw marks.... u dont need 80% raw marks to get 80% UMS whic his what makes u a A or B ect....
Original post by erbium
Thats from raw marks.... u dont need 80% raw marks to get 80% UMS whic his what makes u a A or B ect....

an* A or a B
etc*

sorry I'm pedantic.

Anyway, raw marks and UMS aren't the same numbers, but doesn't your UMS need to be 80% as well to get an A?
Reply 107

an* A or a B
etc*

sorry I'm pedantic.

Anyway, raw marks and UMS aren't the same numbers, but doesn't your UMS need to be 80% as well to get an A?

yes ur UMS needs to be 80%.. what you had put before 120/150 for AN A would be in raw marks not UMS marks, so this means u DONT need 80% raw marks.. obv =) Thus 120/150 wont be for an A, it will be alot less over all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mangoh
what happens if a question says "suggest 3 reasons"

and you put 4 reasons?

they take into account all your answers and mark the best 3:smile:
I did this in my family exam and still got the marks.
Original post by kkate1212
For my education essay i wrote about:
A reference to Item A (Our teacher told us we have to do this or you can't score more than 12 marks..)

What if you used the items in your answer but didnt state it, like 'according to Item 2a..' :frown:
Original post by mangoh
ha ha.

So if it says state 3 reasons and you put 50, they will mark the best 3

thats hilarious

just what have been told
in the family exam i stated about 8 answers for a question which asked for 3 and i got full marks for it.
For my education essay i wrote about:
A reference to Item A (Our teacher told us we have to do this or you can't score more than 12 marks..)

Class
Becker
Ray Rist
Ball
Labelling
Self Fullfilling Prophecy

Ethnicity
Schools Selection Process
Teacher Racism - Wright
Pupil's Responses/Subcultures - Fuller
Ethnocentric Curriculum

For all these points I gave examples, defined, ect..

For AO2 marks:
Contrasted with external factors
Douglas and working class parents
Material Deprivation for Ethnic Minorities

Do people think this is okay?

See what I did was I only mainly discussed labelling, self-fulfilling prophecy and pupil subcultures with regards to ETHNICITY, alongside ethnocentric curriculum, selection/segregation, institutional racism and teacher racism.

Then for A02, i talked about external factors and my conclusion was basically made up of Evans claim that gender, ethnicity and class all overlap and you cannot isolate one without regarding the other aspects. :s-smilie:
Reply 112
they take into account all your answers and mark the best 3:smile:
I did this in my family exam and still got the marks.

I was told by almost every teacher if you do this they mark the first three they read.
Reply 113
Original post by lukex20
I was told by almost every teacher if you do this they mark the first three they read.

yeah thats what i herd!
Reply 114
ok basically i need peoples help.
i revised so much for this exam..and when i opened the paper and skim read the questions i was relieved coz i knew the answers to all of them...BIG mistake coz then i was chillaxd bout it ..and kinda took my time..

i know i got the definition right..

for the policies i wrote

Funding formula

Education league tables

Vouchers

and then for the functionalist essay i wrote about
Durkheims two functions
parsons ..and the bridge with school and work
davis n moore.

on the 20 mark essay i spent TOO MUCH time on coz i knew so many thinkers..
i included all these names:

Howard becker
circourel +kitsuse
ray rist
sharpe and green
colin lacey
rosenthal +jacobson
then i compared it with
barry sugarmans
and marketisation gillborn and youdel
and fuller
and included a cuple lines at the end and wrote the evaluation of labelling. (nell keddie etc marxists view)
I SPENT TOO MUCH TIME ON THIS AND HAD LIKE NO TIME FOR THE OTHER ESSAYS!! :frown::frown:

for validity i wrote measure what you want to find out or something like that

documents i wrote sumthin like old ones are no use to the researcher ..something like that ..and some are private not generaliable..

i wrote only a page and a bit rushed! for non particiapant obersvation...

wrote about getting in..and verstien and hawthonre effect ..and deceit and permission ..those kind of things

for the experiment essay i literally just wrote about lab
milgram ..ethical issues..hawthorne effect again..
control over variables ..
field and comparative ..same type of issues i think..again this was rushed because i had like 15 mins to do it ...and i actually know ALOT about this ..i was SO GUTTED time was running out..because i knew i could write lots about all of them...

Looking at the type of answer i gave ..what dou think il get..????
Reply 115
I fudged up on question 1c+d so badly! However I think I did okay in all my other questions especially reserach methods - think I nearly aced it. What do you rekon the highest grade I could get is? I HATED the 1st question AQA are so mean making you write SOO much!!:mad:
Reply 116
The first set of questions (education) was about immediate gratification (2 marks)

I put when someone usually working class wants to work as soon as possible (16 years) leaving school
age for example to earn money and/or "living for the day"

How policies affect the marketisation of education? (6 marks) i put OFSTED reports, league tables and
the catchment areas (selection by mortgage)

And the 12 marker was about how different functions have an affect on the education system. i mentioned the functionalist views and Marxists views (smooth running of society,) Hester Mellor and Hargreaves, hidden curriculum, Bowles and Gintis

The essay question was about to assess what different causes of educational achievement of different groups (social class, ethnicity, labeling ect..)

I outlined negative and positive labeling, subcultures (gang cultures) self fulfilling prophecy, material deprivation, linguistic deprivation (elaborated and restricted codes) also i mentioned Bernstein and Labov ,

Education with methods:
Use participant observation or official statistics to assess the strengths and limitations of using one of the following methods to see why students are truant (20 marks)

And lastly the main essay on sociological methods was about experiments and how sociologist may face problems when using different types of experiments (20 marks) I put down field and laboratory and explained about the Hawthorne affect ect..

Anyone know what exactly what have put down and how they answered the question??
Reply 117
Hello! just wondering if anyone else sat the Health with Reserch methods paper on the 20th? if so how did you find it :s-smilie:
Reply 118
your on the wrong thread mate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending