ReputationRep:
    Weekly discussion.

The Ultimate Aim of Medicine Is To Make the Human Body Less Inhuman

Discuss.

(Original post by Library)
    Weekly discussion.

The Ultimate Aim of Medicine Is To Make the Human Body Less Inhuman

Comment on this.
    Depends what you define as "inhuman". Some people will argue that "correcting" the body is inhuman (therefore rubbishing the ultimate aim of medicine stated).

ReputationRep:
    So medicine makes the body more human? :confused:

(Original post by pikaboo)
    So medicine makes the body more human? :confused:
    See my point above.

I would say that the aim of medicine is to "remove disease and irregularities".

ReputationRep:
    Maybe what the thread starter was thinking of is that medicine may be aiming towards reducing the need for a strong immune system i.e. natural human immunity towards disease.

(Original post by pikaboo)
    Maybe what the thread starter was thinking of is that medicine may be aiming towards reducing the need for a strong immune system i.e. natural human immunity towards disease.
    Medicine hasnt found a cure for viruses, so thats a long way off.

ReputationRep:
    Huh?Shouldn't this be in Debate and Discussion?

ReputationRep:
    I would say the primary aim of medicine is to attempt to return the body to a state of homeostasis.

TBH, I don't understand what you mean by medicine making the body less inhuman :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrychocolate)
    Huh? Shouldn't this be in Debate and Discussion?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    The initial discussion point is open for interpretations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd genereally assumed the aim of modern medicine was too increase the length and potential quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    but the body naturally attempts to heal itself. so surely it is human nature to try new ways to maintain existence and therefore medicine is an example of human nature. that's my opinion at least.

ReputationRep:
    What you all need to do is break the discussion point down into several pieces, define each piece and then merge your solutions together. Most of you are making assumptions which aren't there.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.