Turn on thread page Beta

Should the younger generations be taught more about pollution than they are already? watch

ReputationRep:
    So,should the younger generations be taught more about pollution than they are already? do they need to know the damage its causing because I think they do. This came up because of whats happended in hertforshire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serina M)
    So,should the younger generations be taught more about pollution than they are already? do they need to know the damage its causing because I think they do. This came up because of whats happended in hertforshire.
    I think the question should be, should every generation be taught more about pollution awareness?
    And in answer to your question - most certainly.

ReputationRep:
    yes. and so does every other generation as bodhisattva said.

ReputationRep:
    They should definately be taught it all... however, my sister is 10 and comes home from school full of facts and figures about pollution and recycling and saving water etc... I think the older generations now need more information, parents need to know these things aswell as the children!

ReputationRep:
    oh no way. Physics is boring enough!

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be taught it from a younger age, then they won't grow up to be so complacent. Like I have

Okay, okay, that was ignorant. But ignorance is bliss. As is not turning off the light when you leave a room. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is a case of people don't know about it, its just human nature to not bother to change your ways if (1) it will cost you extra money (2) cost you extra time (3) is just generally hassle. That is the root of the problem.

I like the idea of introducing 'carbon cards' where every person is assigned an annual amount of carbon emissions and every time you fill up with petrol or buy anything that created carbon pollution, it is deducted from your card. You can buy additional credits off those that don't use theirs or sell any you don't use each year. I forget where I read about this....probably on the BBC News website...

ReputationRep:
    Ineteresting idea. A bit opressive for my liking though - I want to continue throwing recyclable cans in normal bins

ReputationRep:
    Walking next to cars is bad car fumes.
    Did you know if you cycle for an hour in rush hour traffic the diesel fumes can permernantly damage the arteries.

ReputationRep:
    You know, I think schools should work more on grammar instead :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    My grammar was worse than that before i edited but you just made me laugh which should counter act my pollution intake by releasing happy hormones

ReputationRep:
    The "younger generations" get taught more than enough about pollution. However, learning and putting into practice are completely different things.

The money that would be spent teaching more about pollution could be better spent on things like improving bus services to reduce car use, building cycle paths, providing better recycling schemes, and investing in renewable energy.

Large establishments could also help to reduce waste and pollution. For example, my old school used to send out 3-4 pages of daily notices to each form, plus photocopy lots of spare copies - usually using about 300 sheets of paper every day... in the course of a school year that's about 45000 sheets of paper (90 reams). Although 2/3 of them went in recycle bins, energy is still required to recycle, and of course electricity and toner are used. As the whole school was networked with computers in each form room it could easily have been done electronically and saved the need for such stupid waste.

As another example, Bath Uni Student's Union keeps sending stacks of about 10 flyers to each house/flat on campus - surely one or two would suffice and use a fraction of the paper and energy.

If schools, universities, NHS, civil service and large companies made the effort, it would ahve a much greater effect than induvidials. Plus, employees and customers/users would probably get the message and make the effort themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    Sanity!

ReputationRep:
    well when I grew up there were much more efficient ways of learning about pollution than being taught. the problem isn't lack of awareness (in the UK at least), its just human nature not to care that much.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they should be. And, LPK, I think you'll find it's Geography predominately that we're taught about Pollution and the Environment . But, yes, for GCSE Physics we did something on energy and natural resources.

ReputationRep:
    seriously... teaching kids will make them think its boring. putting them in a classroom won't make them do anything different

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people should know of pollution from birth.

ReputationRep:
    in my school there is "pollution education", like, in most of the units in the science classes we talk about pollution. in 9th grade all the students at my school take "earth science" which is basically all about pollution.

did you know that for every gallon of fuel you burn you release 25 pounds of CO2?

and that for every hour a passenger plane is in the air, you need to plant 1 tree to offset the CO2 being produced.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.