Turn on thread page Beta

Top Gear watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Why?
    We really don't know how to do this type of show. We have shows like motorweek, but it's a buyer's guide/consumer reports type of show where they review the car the way someone would review a vacuum cleaner. It's as dull as watching paint dry.

The whole premise of this show is absurd.

"Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph"

I don't know who Bruno is and think that drag racing is the wrong motorsport for this type of show. I'm interested in lap times, not only quarter mile times.

The other two people sound like complete imbeciles that have no business being on a show like this. Britain's Top Gear is hosted by real automotive journalists, which automatically gives the show credibility. A "super keen jock" and a reality show winner??? Are you kidding me!!!

Top gear is enjoyed by people all over the world as it is. It's a proven formula and it does not need to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    The good things is, Star in the Reasonably Priced Car, can be in a Mustang or something. It's still reasonably priced!
    It would be cool to listen to that V8 sound and fury while seeing a mustang devour a track. The only thing that may be a problem is having the celebs cope with tire-smoking oversteer. Many celebrity tree huggers drive cars like the Toyota Prius, so I wonder if they can handle a V8?

It's funny how everyone is jealous of europe because they have some cars we don't get to have, but we are really the luckiest *******s in the world when it comes to cars. A V8 powered 300hp Mustang for $26,000! In the UK, that's equal to buying a car for 14,848.81 GBP. For less than 15,000 GBP, they get something powered by a mouse on an exercise wheel, not a 300hp V8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninman)
    I'm curious, what did the op do to get banned?
    I don't think anything's been banned here. I think the problem is that the presenters are virulently anti-American and the networks aren't sure how that would play out on American television.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I don't think anything's been banned here. I think the problem is that the presenters are virulently anti-American and the networks aren't sure how that would play out on American television.
    Are they?:eek: I thought they were quite 'pro'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Are they?:eek: I thought they were quite 'pro'
    Extremely! Look at the links below!

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...n-1024x768.jpg
    http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/20...n-1024x768.htm

Those are pictures of the corvette's front and rear suspension components. Done looking at those photos?

Now watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypR5...ear%20corvette

Hammond and Clarkson LIED THROUGH THEIR TEETH on television about the Corvette's suspension! That's pure slander. They also rigged the acceleration test because there is no way in hell the car could have lost to the NSX. And Clarksons jokes about the bumper in the back? They're designed to withstand an impact at low speeds without any damage.

ReputationRep:
    no I meant what did goodzorr do to get banned?

ReputationRep:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_YAdKOTPw...rch=top%20gear

Theres a link to the Bugatti race

I really can't comprehend the power of that car!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Extremely! Look at the links below!

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...n-1024x768.jpg
    http://www.seriouswheels.com/2005/20...n-1024x768.htm

Those are pictures of the corvette's front and rear suspension components. Done looking at those photos?

Now watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypR5...ear%20corvette

Hammond and Clarkson LIED THROUGH THEIR TEETH on television about the Corvette's suspension! That's pure slander.
    From the SeriousWheels website...http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...orvette-C6.htm

Suspension. None of the suspension bits has been carried over from C5. The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension configuration remains, but the cradles, control arms, knuckles, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and steering gear are all redesigned. The Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) also are new, taking advantage of the latest sidewall design and compound technology for run-flat capabilities, and play a critical role in the tuning of the suspension for excellent handling and comfortable ride.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can see the leaf-springs in the pictures,they're there.

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the drag race though. It should've smacked the hell out of the NSX. There is some amount of skill in drag racing. Sadly, Hammond doesn't have it. Did you see how slowly he changed the gears? I'm certain it could've killed the NSX, for God's sake, it's a mid-high 12 second car! Even the Porsche should've beaten the NSX tbh. Porsche's can launch very hard without worrying about too much wheel spin.

But the TVR would've been a battle. They are very very light.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can see the leaf-springs in the pictures,they're there.
    It is true that GM engineers used a "leaf" as a spring, but TG was trying to mislead the public by implying that the design had something in common with traditional leaf spring suspensions on trucks.

It's one composite leaf spring mounted transversely in the rear and one composite transversely mounted spring in the rear. This design weighs 3 times less than coils, lowers the center of gravity, is compact and acts as an anti-roll bar so anti-roll bars can be smaller and more lightweight.

This has nothing in common with the old design you see on trucks where the leaf spring is used as the entire suspension.

For Clarkson to call it a Vietnamese suspension on television shows that he either knows nothing about cars or was too lazy to bend down and look. I lost a lot of repect for Tog Gear's presenters because they are either ignorant, lazy with fact-checking, or deliberately trying to mislead the public about American cars.

Honestly, I'm not even a big fan of American cars. I bought a Lotus Elise instead of a Corvette. It's not really my cup of tea, but I was still livid after seeing that test because it was a very biased test at best and outright slander at worst.

A real enthusiast loves cars and doesn't car what country they come from. As an American, I'm not even ashamed to admit that an old Citroen SM-a French car-is one of my all-time favorite cars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made_in_the_USA)
    As an American, I'm not even ashamed to admit that an old Citroen SM-a French car-is one of my all-time favorite cars
    :eek: Please hand over your passport and king sized Butterfinger, you're no longer allowed back!!

Yeah, I suppose you're right about the leaf springs being different. But it's just that coils have been proven to be better on just about every application. Apparently, the rear-end on the Vette is quite skittish. 'Course, this is on British roads. I'm sure it's not so much of a problem in America and the rest of Europe.

I really love the new look of the C6. I was never too much of a Vette guy, but the new just looks so good to me. Even better in person. I've seen a few over here. I can't wait to find a Z06.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Please hand over your passport and king sized Butterfinger, you're no longer allowed back!!

Yeah, I suppose you're right about the leaf springs being different. But it's just that coils have been proven to be better on just about every application. Apparently, the rear-end on the Vette is quite skittish. 'Course, this is on British roads. I'm sure it's not so much of a problem in America and the rest of Europe.

I really love the new look of the C6. I was never too much of a Vette guy, but the new just looks so good to me. Even better in person. I've seen a few over here. I can't wait to find a Z06.
    I don't agree about it being a proven fact that coils are better. Just because a technology is old doesn't mean it's inferior. Other countries get caught up in selling consumers technology for technologies sake when there is no discernable improvement over older proven ideas. Look at the Audi A8, for example. They went through all that trouble designing an aluminum space frame and wound up with a car that's heavier than a steel-bodied Mercedes-Benz S500 4matic.

A spring is a spring....it shouldn't matter if it is a torsion bar, a coil, an air bag, or a leaf. The reason it is bad on European roads is the same reason coil/torsion bar/air sprung american cars are bad on european roads. We're just not good at suspension tuning. I've never really driven an American car that rode or handled as well as a European car. We still are best at making a big comfortable V8 powered car for a low price (and that's fine for our roads), but the europeans are better at fine tuning their suspensions and getting close to the ideal ride/handling compromise. What I can't figure out is why our companies, with all their resources, can't hire away a couple of BMW engineers and get this stuff right.

ReputationRep:
    Did you see the orginal version of "the longest yard" where Burt Reynolds drove one off a pier after an amazing car chase with the police? When I make my first billion, I'll buy a restored one. One can dream, right?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.