Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the answer is, quite simply, an emphatic

yes

ReputationRep:
    grow some balls. don't tell her you love her mate it wont work.if u really want to be with her you have to do the whole "going out with people" thing. it sounds like u got a friendly relationship with this girl well now you have to make her feel attraction for you, go on a date or 2 make her laugh and pay her some compliments.... if you really love her you should try and get some kind of loving relationship going. i would reccomend not telling her you love her until you are eitehr in a relationship with her or she has rejected you = then you have truly got nothing to lose. If you blurt it out too soon you may lose a great chance to have the girl you dream about. Take it easy mate.

ReputationRep:
    It's an abstract conceptualisation, subjectively ascribed: so, the answer is yes, albeit subjectively.

Of course, one would do well nevertheless to bear in mind that, "Love is not love, that alters where it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove." (As I myself have lately discovered; some would say, the hard way.)

ReputationRep:
    IMO yes.

The affects of it are shown in history.
    Sex alone has not caused events between men and women (it may have instigated it).
    => to quote a song "The Power of Love"

ReputationRep:
    disgustingly clinical - what an oxymoron - kind of like the NHS really

anyway this story about love - it is basically the exact same as the situation i am stuck in just now so pm me - its all sooooooooooo confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petrus)
    grow some balls.
    well arent you a charmer :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latentcorpse)

anyway this story about love - it is basically the exact same as the situation i am stuck in just now so pm me - its all sooooooooooo confusing!
    Now, no NHS bashing.
    True love is hard to define, and thus hard to work out whether you are in that state. I don't know if I ever have been, though I have thought that I was at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Sweetness*~)
    Yes, it does exist. Sometimes you can be so in love that it hurts. I wish I wasn't in love at the moment
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latentcorpse)

I'd worry if the NHS was anything but clinical.

With regards to love, I subscribe to the philosophical theory that a statement is either true, tortological, or meaningless. A statement is meaningful, and thus either true or false, when an experiment can be devised to prove either one or the other. Hence "The moon is made of cheese" is a meaningful proposition as one could fly to the moon and try and get one's teeth into it in order to prove otherwise. Thus the statement "Love exists" is meaningless as it cannot be proven either way. If anyone can devise an experiment to prove me wrong then I will quite happily eat my words.

ReputationRep:
    How can you not believe in love? Of course it exists.
    (sorry too lazy to read the whole thread :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    How can you not believe in love? Of course it exists.
    (sorry too lazy to read the whole thread :p: )
    Quite easily. Many don't.

ReputationRep:
    But thats so sad...

ReputationRep:
    you will know when you are in love then you will know that love exists. i do believe that love exists

ReputationRep:
    But thats so sad...
    No it's not, it make your emotional state a whole lot tidier.
    Love probably exists for some, but it's a drug, I've seen people do some stupid things because of love.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I'd rather not be in love. It messes you up. I do, however, believe in love, and am a hopeless romantic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wineblood)
    No it's not, it make your emotional state a whole lot tidier.
    Love probably exists for some, but it's a drug, I've seen people do some stupid things because of love.
    I agree its like a drug. I read an article somewhere and it said that they had done brain scans of people in love and they were similar to those of people snorting coke, not those experiencing strong emotion. It was very interesting..

But anyway, surely its very.. I dont know what the word is, but to say it makes your emotional state a lot tidier? Fair enough if you dont ever really want to experience strong emotion in your life, but then why live if not for the emotions that you feel? Isnt that the most important thing at the end of the day?
    A tidy emotional state would make life so... dull.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough if you dont ever really want to experience strong emotion in your life, but then why live if not for the emotions that you feel? Isnt that the most important thing at the end of the day?
    A tidy emotional state would make life so... dull.
    I do experience strong emotion, love isn't the only one.
    Life isn't all about emotions, there's other stuff too, like what you accomplish, the people you intereact with, etc...
    And I prefer dull and stable to not dull and completely thoughtless, I'm a very rational person.

ReputationRep:
    I know that there is other stuff, but what I'm trying to say (possibly not very well lol) is that the stuff you accomplish doesnt mean anything if you dont feel anything about it. You dont do things in life just for the technicalities and because it just happens to work out well for you.
    Oh I'm really not explaining this well...!
    You aim to accomplish things because you feel something when you do. You enjoy interacting with amazing people because it makes you step back and go 'wow'. I would say love is just an extension of that; just more extreme. I've never experienced anything in my life that matches the rush that love or infatuation gives you (I dont take class A drugs) and I would rather have that than a stable life I guess.. Stability isnt all that its cracked up to be from my experience.

But to each their own its cool

ReputationRep:
    Love is nature's trick to keep us together and bring up our offspring in a stable environment.

And its bloody amazing!

ReputationRep:
    You aim to accomplish things because you feel something when you do. You enjoy interacting with amazing people because it makes you step back and go 'wow'.
    Yeh, it's kinda different for me. I don't really enjoy interacting with people so there isn't that whole 'wow' thing you mentionned.
    And when I accomplish something, it does make me feel things, it's called pride. I don't see the connection with love.
    Love is very overrated, and other emotions are underrated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.