Turn on thread page Beta

Does Love Really Exist??????? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been in love? If not how can you say its overrated? If you have then.. I guess I cant really say anything.

ReputationRep:
    it does exist, just a ***** that so often its not reciprocal

ReputationRep:
    It exists, I have it and I'm not about to share to you lot.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't believe love existed until last year. True, requited love is possibly the best thing in the world- and you're probably right, maybe it is like a drug. It does stupid things to me sometimes, like make me sit on the floor and cry for an hour. But I can put up with that for the good times I have with my significant other. Compared to other experiences I've had, it's like heaven. Love is much much more than sex- it's friendship, caring, fun and laughter, sharing things you wouldn't share with anyone else, being able to be completely and utterly yourself around someone- in my case, an absolute prat- and not feel silly (which I use to it's full capacity) and so much more which I'm not able to put into words. But these past nine months have definitely been the best months of my life. My boyfriend is my best friend. Easily. I find that very, very important- we were friends before we became more.

I'm a cynical whinger most of the time, but when it comes to love, I'm a hopeless romantic- as someone has already said about themselves, so at least I'm not alone.

ReputationRep:
    agreed. my bf is my best friend, and he has changed my life. even if we split after uni, i won't regret a second of it, becuase he has taught me so much about life, love and friendship. I feel lucky to know him, let alone be in love with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    Have you ever been in love? If not how can you say its overrated? If you have then.. I guess I cant really say anything.
    No, I haven't, doesn't mean I'm not in a position to say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wineblood)
    No, I haven't, doesn't mean I'm not in a position to say that.
    I dont know... love is such an amazing emotion I dont think its possible to say its overrated. Sure you need to be a bit careful when you're around it or in it but I dont think you can say its not one of the most powerful emotions you can experience. If you've ever been in love you'll know that you'd never be able to say 'weeeell its not really all that'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    I dont know... love is such an amazing emotion I dont think its possible to say its overrated. Sure you need to be a bit careful when you're around it or in it but I dont think you can say its not one of the most powerful emotions you can experience. If you've ever been in love you'll know that you'd never be able to say 'weeeell its not really all that'.
    Yeah, I guess you've got a point there. But I still don't see what there is more to it, it's like friendship and infatuation, as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wineblood)
    Yeah, I guess you've got a point there. But I still don't see what there is more to it, it's like friendship and infatuation, as far as I'm aware.
    There's supposed to be something more to it than that...I think...

ReputationRep:
    i used to believe in it.

now i'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    Thats sad swazzle2000.

Did you lose faith or did something happen?

I don't know if i believe. I need to have first-hand experiences.
    I love my friends so much, would do anything for them, but i've
    never been in 'romantic' love

ReputationRep:
    of course love exists.
    staying in a relationship for 7 years for me tells me i am in love!!
    but most people say haveing sex means love. (in my opinion its not true)
    i love my BF for sure!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am here now)
    of course love exists.
    staying in a relationship for 7 years for me tells me i am in love!!
    but most people say haveing sex means love. (in my opinion its not true)
    i love my BF for sure!!
    Being in a relationship for 7 years could just mean you are staying together because you're used to each other's company rather than love. To someone who doesn't believe in love - that is not much proof.

ReputationRep:
    Harsh

ReputationRep:
    But true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Being in a relationship for 7 years could just mean you are staying together because you're used to each other's company rather than love. To someone who doesn't believe in love - that is not much proof.
    no we are in love and that is why we stay together!! i know that for sure

ReputationRep:
    No, you believe you are in love. You might be, you might not be. The problem is that the closer you get to love the more subjective your opinion becomes.

ReputationRep:
    Poica wasn't saying you necessarily weren't in love- she was saying that staying together for seven years isn't proof that you are in love. Heck, my parents were together for nearly twenty years and they say now (don't know if it's true) that they never really loved each other.

If people are questioning whether love exists, the fact that you have spent seven years with your significant other isn't, as she said, proof that you love each other. No one is saying you don't love each other, it's just not proof on its own.

Love does exist. Well, for me anyway. Isnt it great?

ReputationRep:
    love does not exist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2005
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.