The Student Room Group

REP GIVEN: PLEASEEEE mark my Lord of the Flies essay

xo
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you have a good knowledge of the book, but you're really just repeating the story of the book and not saying why those quotes have been said.

I think you need to follow the PEE system, I can see you have the knowledge to do it though.

For example, this is something I wrote in one of my essays: Simon informs the boys of the truth about the beast. “What I mean is... maybe it’s only us” Only Simon has come to the realisation that the beast is within them and it is a manifestation of the boys’ own evil actions. It can be argued that the boys’ actions are directly proportional to the beast’s strength and status. The more savage the boys become, the more they respect and serve it; until it captivates them.

However, ironically when Jack becomes chief, he says, “Forget the beast!”, but succumbs to its rule as the novel progresses, this indeed happens as the boys decide to take a gift for the beast and Jack says, “This head is for the beast. It’s a gift.” Firstly the boys do not forget the beast regardless of how hard they try, and this is further proof for the fact that it exists within because they are unable to. Golding also indicates that the boys have become the slave of their own actions, and they must please their instinct and fulfil their desires.
Furthermore, on a larger scale, Golding uses this to portray today’s society where people commit evil actions such as murder, and they gift their own beasts making it stronger and satisfied until it overpowers them.

You need to explain more WHY than WHAT, and think about the deeper meaning like what Golding is trying to say about humanity.

Also, try to look for alternative interpretations; not all quotes only have one meaning (this gets you an A/A*!!)

I hope this helps! :smile:
Someone can totally plagiarize this now :wink:
I won't mark because I'm rubbish at english, but this is my lord of the flies essay from many years ago, I got a B I think? Not the same topic though...
http://bookstove.com/classics/how-does-william-golding-explore-the-theme-of-crowd-mentality-in-lord-of-the-flies/
Reply 3
Original post by fatemehahmadi14
I think you have a good knowledge of the book, but you're really just repeating the story of the book and not saying why those quotes have been said.

I think you need to follow the PEE system, I can see you have the knowledge to do it though.

For example, this is something I wrote in one of my essays: Simon informs the boys of the truth about the beast. “What I mean is... maybe it’s only us” Only Simon has come to the realisation that the beast is within them and it is a manifestation of the boys’ own evil actions. It can be argued that the boys’ actions are directly proportional to the beast’s strength and status. The more savage the boys become, the more they respect and serve it; until it captivates them.

However, ironically when Jack becomes chief, he says, “Forget the beast!”, but succumbs to its rule as the novel progresses, this indeed happens as the boys decide to take a gift for the beast and Jack says, “This head is for the beast. It’s a gift.” Firstly the boys do not forget the beast regardless of how hard they try, and this is further proof for the fact that it exists within because they are unable to. Golding also indicates that the boys have become the slave of their own actions, and they must please their instinct and fulfil their desires.
Furthermore, on a larger scale, Golding uses this to portray today’s society where people commit evil actions such as murder, and they gift their own beasts making it stronger and satisfied until it overpowers them.

You need to explain more WHY than WHAT, and think about the deeper meaning like what Golding is trying to say about humanity.

Also, try to look for alternative interpretations; not all quotes only have one meaning (this gets you an A/A*!!)

I hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you, that was really helpful. :biggrin:
Original post by rachelkeira
Someone can totally plagiarize this now :wink:
I won't mark because I'm rubbish at english, but this is my lord of the flies essay from many years ago, I got a B I think? Not the same topic though...
http://bookstove.com/classics/how-does-william-golding-explore-the-theme-of-crowd-mentality-in-lord-of-the-flies/

It's fine, it's only for exam prep. :smile:
Thanks, yours is really good. :smile:
Reply 4
Anyone know the rough grade this would get?
Reply 5
Please someone grade this, my exam is in 4 days and I really want to know where I am at the moment grade-wise.
Reply 6
Original post by LeaX
Please someone grade this, my exam is in 4 days and I really want to know where I am at the moment grade-wise.

:smile:
Reply 7

Stop spamming. There are only a few qualified teachers on this website, and none of them read this forum. This means the only people who are going to answer are those who have sat the exam themselves or English students who will be able to give you a good answer, but not necessarily best prepare you for the exam.

General advice:

- It is too short.
- You do not provide page references.
- Your language is unclear (The innocent ‘beastie’ shows their innocence and child-like behaviour'), and sometimes makes no sense at all.
- You misuse terminology (i.e. foreshadowing).

Specific advice:

- You need to distinguish more clearly how Golding presents the beast and how the boys interpret the beast.
- In terms of what the beast symbolises, it might be worth asking yourself why Simon is the boy who has the clearest conception of what it is.
17/36
yh yh good good not lol
Original post by LeaX
What do you think is the importance of the .beast. in Lord of the Flies?
Write about:
??ideas that the boys have about the .beast.
??what the .beast. may symbolise
??how Golding presents the .beast..

The beast goes through many different definitions in ‘Lord of the Flies’, from being innocent creepers to Beelzebub itself. The beat represents fear and evil and how it affects people.

The beat is first introduced as a ‘snake-thing’ by one of the littluns who calls it a ‘beastie’. This is the first hint of there being any fear or danger on the island. The innocent ‘beastie’ shows their innocence and child-like behaviour. Ralph repeatedly states that there ‘isn’t a beastie’; he is defiant. Perhaps Ralph is scared, too, and is trying to reassure himself.

Simon is the first to suggest that the beast ‘was real’, but his ideas were ignored by Ralph and Jack. This foreshadows when Simon tries to explain what the beast is but is killed before he has the chance.

Piggy then thinks rationally. He states that there isn’t a beast ‘with claws and all that’, but there is people. He implies that the beast is people in general and, due to being called Piggy and being bullied’ he has insight into the potentially evil in people.

Percival is another little ‘un to express his interpretation of the beast. However, he gets laughed at and ‘surrounded by the uncomfortable presence of humans’, he falls asleep before explaining himself. This, again, foreshadows that the ‘beat’ is within people and he’s uncomfortable being around humans because of their evil capacity.

Simon then states: ‘Maybe there is a beast… Maybe it’s only us’. He is ridiculed and can’t articulate his thoughts clearly. However, Golding refers to it as ‘man-kind’s essential illness’, suggesting that evil primitive instincts could potentially ruin the human race.

Sam and Eric then refer to the parachutist as the beast. In some ways, this is true as he would have died as a result of war which is evil. The parachutist is a symbol of what other humans can do to each other, reinforcing the idea that the beast is within us.

Simon then states: ‘I don’t believe in the beast’. He is a naturally good character with good morals, such as when he helped the little ‘uns get fruit’. His morals aren’t imposed on him by society like the others, they’re within him. Perhaps he doesn’t believe in the beast because he has a high faith in humanity and can’t understand why or how someone would be evil.

During an epileptic fit, Simon sees the pig’s head on the stick. It is evil personified. Golding refers to it as having the ‘infinite cynicism of adult life’ suggesting that evil can’t be suppressed and will eventually show itself in all of us. The Lord of the Flies tells him repeatedly to ‘go back to the others’ before saying ‘you’ll only meet me down there so don’t try to escape’. This could be a reference to Jack and the hunters being evil and Simon facing them, or a reference to being killed with ‘down there’ being Hell which foreshadows Simon’s death.

When Simon goes back to tell the others, he is killed. The boys have now reached their full capacity for evil. Ironically, Simon could have saved them from themselves but he was silenced by death.

In conclusion, I think that the beast in human’s capacity for evil. Its importance is showing how fear can control people and how evil can be suppressed, but not gotten rid of, by law and order.

yh yh good good not lol
Reply 11
Original post by iggybooboo0
yh yh good good not lol

This is 7 years old lol and reading it back has made me cringe with how awful it is, anyway it doesn't matter as I got an A :smile:
why the **** are you ****ing necro posting ffs...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending