Einheri
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My ear swelled up yesterday and is still swollen in part. I think it's the beginning of a bit of cauliflower ear. I do a lot of grappling martial arts (Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Freestyle and Submission Wrestling) and have had my ear drained once before at the hospital and once by myself, it's not a difficult thing to do and the doctor hurt a lot more than when I did it myself. Do pharmacies sell needles and syringes without prescription? I don't particularly want to wait for five hours in a hospital for an inexperied doctor to do a crap (and painful) job on my ear and I also don't want to go to some kind of centre for smack-heads to a get a clean needle and syringe. So, yeah, can I just go in and buy them?
jackey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, you can't. They are medical medical devices.
HugoDuchovny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Einheri)
My ear swelled up yesterday and is still swollen in part. I think it's the beginning of a bit of cauliflower ear. I do a lot of grappling martial arts (Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Freestyle and Submission Wrestling) and have had my ear drained once before at the hospital and once by myself, it's not a difficult thing to do and the doctor hurt a lot more than when I did it myself. Do pharmacies sell needles and syringes without prescription? I don't particularly want to wait for five hours in a hospital for an inexperied doctor to do a crap (and painful) job on my ear and I also don't want to go to some kind of centre for smack-heads to a get a clean needle and syringe. So, yeah, can I just go in and buy them?
is that reeeeally why you want a needle and a syringe??? :rolleyes:

if yes, then the answer is sadly no,

pharmacies wont sell needles and syringes on there own
foxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually some pharmacies do have needle exchanges. You'll get very strange looks if you're not a junky though.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
where did you get the needle to do it on your own before?
Einheri
Rep:
?
(Original post by HugoDuchovny)
is that reeeeally why you want a needle and a syringe??? :rolleyes:

if yes, then the answer is sadly no,

pharmacies wont sell needles and syringes on there own
Yup, I barely even drink these days let alone do heroin (never have, never will).

That's a shame, I'd have thought they would - I've heard that in the US they do.

(Original post by foxo)
Actually some pharmacies do have needle exchanges. You'll get very strange looks if you're not a junky though.
I don't think I can pull off junkie chic, but they'll give out needles to anyone regardless of their status as a IV drug user? Also, I don't have the needle and syringe I used before in order to exchange as this was about six months ago.

(Original post by boba)
where did you get the needle to do it on your own before?
My old Freestyle coach gave it me, but I asked my new one and he didn't give a crap basically (his ears are pretty bad, so obviously he doesn't think it's something to worry about).
Caponester
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
Yes, key word being 'exchange'
monkeyolsen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha they sell syringes in pharmacies in Canada as well
I think you can get them if you're a nurse/caregiver etc.
I remember someone coming in during the summer to ask for one, so I'm sure you can get them, I can't remember whether we asked her why they needed one though
foxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Caponester)
Yes, key word being 'exchange'
No need to be such a ****.
Einheri
Rep:
?
I just went to the hospital in the end and only waited for a couple of hours. It's a shame they don't sell them freely as there are legitimate uses for them, and it would help with the whole issue of people reusing dirty needles.

(Original post by foxo)
No need to be such a ****.
Agreed. Thanks for the help Foxo and everyone.
Wallerman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most needle exchanges are in chemists and you are not treated in anyway like a smackhead for asking for them as there are many reasons for wanting clean needles such as insulin. Check online for your nearest pharmacy that has a needle exchange
pharmacist365
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi i am a pharmacist and you don't need to "exchange" we will give you them regardless, however we do encourage you to bring back used needles to be disposed of properly.
chinnychin1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They sell them in the uk too without prescription. This is the same in all western countries. You can get them for diebities, heroin addiction, steroids. Just go to boots and ask. These idiots dint know their own country too well. They answer things they know nothing about. So yes in the uk you can buy any kind of needle for any kind of problem. The exchange comes after you've used them. Dont tell them you need it to stick in your ear though. Tje doctor can that within 1 week of calling
daverossi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can you buy a syringe if you are under the age of 16?
cjustintoekes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At which pharmacy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads