9.46%
Lantana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
:tardis: Doctor Who: Rebel Flesh :tardis:
Saturday 21st May 2011, 18:45 on BBC One

T-4 hours...assuming we don't get raptured :lol: Anyhow, lots of video goodness to watch

Synopsis (contains light spoilers)
An army of monsters from outer space will make a carbon copy of the handsome doctor – who is played by Matt Smith – as they invade Earth. However, the Time Lord will only discover the clone when he comes face to face with himself as he investigates the alien invasion, and tries to foil the extra-terrestrial beings’ plans to take over the world. His companions Amy (Karen Gillan) and Rory (Arthur Darvill) also become confused when they can’t work out which is the real doctor and which is his double, and who they should be taking instructions from.

A solar tsunami sends the TARDIS hurtling towards a futuristic factory on Earth, where human doppelgangers are used to mine dangerous acid, as the time-travelling adventures continue.

A second wave hits and the “Gangers” separate. They can remember every second of their “original’s” life and feel every emotion they’ve ever experienced. But are these memories stolen or have they been bequeathed? Are the Gangers merely faulty machinery that must be shut down or are they living, breathing, sentient beings? Can the Doctor convince the terrified humans to accept these “almost people” and prevent an all-out civil war before the factory explodes?

Spoiler-free review
After two episodes of stories written by new writers to the show, Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes co-creator Matthew Graham returns to Doctor Who with a two-parter featuring some familiar faces. Question is, will we be asking for a double?

Doppelgangers are at the heart of this story, which Steven Moffat described as a cross between The Thing and Made In Dagenham. Team TARDIS find themselves back on Earth (albeit the future) in a monastery that produces facsimiles of a group of workers; to save the actual "real" human bodies being damaged.

It's not long before a solar storm strikes at the facility, rendering the "Gangers", as the originals refer to their copies, with new properties and powers. Thus begins the crucial question at the heart of the story - do the lookalikes share the moral rights as their inspiration?

It's a sci-fi question that's been addressed numerous times and there's certainly a touch of Blade Runner about the Gangers and their desire to be taken as equals (most notably during a scene where one of them examines a picture of 'herself' as a child). However, it should be pointed out, ‘The Rebel Flesh' only begins to offer answers (with more coming next week, we assume).

Tonally, Matthew Graham (whose previous Doctor Who outing was 2006's Olympic Torch-bearing ‘Fear Her') has presented an incredibly serious script that demands attention and, indeed, on repeat viewings you'll appreciate the nuances of the argument and some interesting, seemingly throwaway remarks by The Doctor after the gang land on Earth.

The Time Lord's trademark humour is still here though, and a delightful TARDIS scene immediately post-credits will raise both a titter and a giggle. Smith brings his usual charm to the table, but his Doctor is up to something and it's exciting to see him so tricksy.

Coming to the fore in this episode is Rory (Arthur Darvill), who embarks on a relationship with one of the Gangers, Jennifer (Sarah Smart). It's an odd, slightly questionable friendship as his nurse sensibilities emerge again; caring for the scared girl, chasing after her at every turn (much to Amy's concern).

Sadly, much of the guest cast fail to illuminate. Marshall Lancaster retreads his role as Chris Skelton from the aforementioned Life On Mars, whilst Raquel Cassidy, so engaging in Party Animals (also starring Matt Smith) and so likable[sic] in Jack Dee's Lead Balloon, also delivers a fairly monotone performance (despite playing "two" characters).

In feel, this episode shares similarities with last year's base-under-siege story ‘The Hungry Earth', whilst also evoking ‘The Vampires Of Venice' in its aesthetic (and even the odd moment). The direction does its very best to scare through some cracking canted angles and moody lighting, though the sometimes flat characters and decidedly iffy CG work do detract at times from the terror.

'The Rebel Flesh' is a brave attempt at some adult themes and issues but seems slightly misplaced in its Saturday tea-time slot here in the UK. However, the cliffhanger (one which you will inevitably see coming) is still a shock and poses yet more questions/theories about this series...

SFX teasers

1. It’s this season’s most trad-Who episode so far, but whereas last year’s “trad” story (the Silurian two-parter) was Pertwee era, this is straight out of the Troughton years. Appropriately Matt Smith is at his most Troughton-esque.
  2. It also evokes memories of “The Impossible Planet”. There’s a lot of exposition to start with, but it soon becomes very pacy claustrophobic, creepy and full of powerful, well-written character moments for the guest stars and striking images.
  3. The pre-titles teaser is frankly disturbing
  4. Accident Direct could have to rethink their policies in this world
  5. Rory fails to score a double
  6. There’s lots and lots of shaky acting (term © Suranne Jones)
  7. There’s a surprising selection of pop songs
  8. The Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver when simply reading would suffice
  9. The Doctor reveals he’s a fan of someone
  10. The Doctor pretends to be a weatherman
  11. The Doctor has a great Derren Brown moment
  12. Random words: “Poncy”, “cockerel”, “welly-boots”, “football”
  13. The Doctor loses two of something
  14. The Doctor says something again we’ve never heard him say before
  15. Beware the oncoming storm
  16. Someone builds a castle
  17. There’s a moment straight out of The Thing, and another one straight out of Death Becomes Her
  18. Someone’s first words are a big clue
  19. Rory puts his foot down
  20. The Doctor clearly isn’t from the North any more!

Cultbox teases

1. Accents are not The Doctor’s forte.
  2. The TARDIS does something we haven’t seen before.
  3. We find out new information about The Doctor’s body.
  4. Buzzer shares a characteristic with Uncle from ‘The Doctor’s Wife’.
  5. There’s a ‘Supermassive Black Hole’ in the TARDIS.
  6. Rory and Amy disagree over flights.
  7. One of the Doctor’s “toys” returns.
  8. A motif from ‘The Curse Of The Black Spot’ makes an appearance.
  9. Looking for influences? Frankenstein, Blade Runner and The Incredibles.
  10. The Doctor makes up a crazy new word.

Next Time trailer

TV trailer

Preview Clip One

Preview Clip Two

Preview Clip Three

An introduction to Rebel Flesh

WARNING: Please refrain from posting about future episodes of Dr Who. Speculation about the future belongs in this thread.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Posting to subscribe!

Looks pretty good, can already see nightmares happening...plus they look a bit like Voldemort...
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't call that review spoiler free!
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's 45 minutes after the world ends anyway. Gutted for you lot
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it may be a biot nightmare inducing, too, actually... thought that when I saw the teaser at the end of last week's
boba
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Patriot)
It's 45 minutes after the world ends anyway. Gutted for you lot
The 2011 end times prediction made by American Christian radio host Harold Camping states that the Rapture (in premillennial theology, the taking up into heaven of God's elect people) would take place on May 21, 2011 and that the end of the world as we know it will take place five months later on October 21, 2011.

since I doubt if anything like this ever did happen I would be one of the people who were raptured and would be one of the ones left waiting for the end of the world. I will still get to see Dr who
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by boba)
The 2011 end times prediction made by American Christian radio host Harold Camping states that the Rapture (in premillennial theology, the taking up into heaven of God's elect people) would take place on May 21, 2011 and that the end of the world as we know it will take place five months later on October 21, 2011.

since I doubt if anything like this ever did happen I would be one of the people who were raptured and would be one of the ones left waiting for the end of the world. I will still get to see Dr who
fair play.

The world ends but you still have to watch Dr Who. That is hell.
Crazy Paving
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*subscribes*

tonight :dance:
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Crazy Paving)
*subscribes*

tonight :dance:
Why is this the second time that I've seen Illusionary edit your post, even though I can't see a reason why it would need to be edited :confused:
jaydemikaela
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Excited
silence will fall
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This episode looks FANTASTIC but scary :eek:. Looking forward to it. Although why are some 'gangers' looking normal and others look melted? I suppose only time will tell...
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
Why is this the second time that I've seen Illusionary edit your post, even though I can't see a reason why it would need to be edited :confused:
Check his sig...it always says edited one minute ago at 14:08...ALWAYS...
ZarkiiStarrh Ox
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ooooooh that episode looks so cool!!!

Need answers thoughh....?

Who as the little regenerating girl at the end of the first episode??

And how is it possible to be negative+positive?

Way to keep me in suspense. :cool:
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It best be up on iPlayer straight away after the episode has aired!

Edit: I think someone is out to get me.
Crazy Paving
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
It best be up on iPlayer straight away after the episode has aired!
Same! Though, like with apprentice, I assume it'll take 15-30 mins, probably. At least I'm not working today, so can watch it even earlier...unless we're going out.
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Excited, if a little scared, for this. I always thought I was relatively hardcore, but now that I watch it alone instead of with the family due to being at uni, I've been getting freaked out by it a lot more easily!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by d123)
Excited, if a little scared, for this. I always thought I was relatively hardcore, but now that I watch it alone instead of with the family due to being at uni, I've been getting freaked out by it a lot more easily!
This is why you follow it with Britain's Got Talent...calms you down somewhat!
colmrs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ZarkiiStarrh Ox)
Ooooooh that episode looks so cool!!!

Need answers thoughh....?

Who as the little regenerating girl at the end of the first episode??

And how is it possible to be negative+positive?

Way to keep me in suspense. :cool:
erm the girl possibly amys daughter (no idea) there will be speculation somewhere

(Original post by Aula)
It is highly speculated that there is some way in which Amy is both pregnant and not pregnant at the same time, but to find out how this will work out, we shall just have to wait and see)
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
This is why you follow it with Britain's Got Talent...calms you down somewhat!
That's probably a good idea - I normally follow it with Confidential
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by d123)
That's probably a good idea - I normally follow it with Confidential
I save confidential for when I rewatch DW on Sunday...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.55%
The paper was reasonable (312)
49.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.32%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.08%

Watched Threads