The Student Room Group

23/05/11 AQA B Lit/Lang Travel, Transport & Locomotion

Scroll to see replies

I'm probably the only person who enjoyed question one; my answer covered two and a half pages, and planning/writing was actually kind of fun.
:rolleyes:

The steer question was especially welcome for me, considering I only really knew four or five texts and walked in dead set on writing about text 9.

Question one:

Text A:

- purpose +audience, tone/register and layout etc.
- basic/obvious presentational features
- grammatical features (ellipses and exclamation marks etc.) and word choice/semantics (of drama/adventure)
- concepts of production and reception: young, curious and enchanted audience
(direct link to context and popular perception of space travel/exploration)

Text B:

- basic comment on factual information and genre specific features (accurate dates, names and field specific lexis etc.)
- sentence structure: short, simple sentences.
A few compound and complex sentences to deliver extra detail. Focus on bluntness and facts
(link back to specific, professional audience)

Main difference: presentation of space travel. Text A is dramatic and caters for the fantasies/interests of its young audience at a time when the prospect of space exploration was exciting and inspiring. Text B is factual and formal, catering for a specific audience of professionals and space enthusiasts.

The 64 marker was a *************. The invigilator stole my paper, so the last 'sentence' of my half-conclusion was a scribble which hopefully resembled the word Clitheroe. :wtf:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by radiantcurtain
I'm probably the only person who enjoyed question one; my answer covered two and a half pages, and planning/writing was actually kind of fun.

The steer question was especially welcome for me, considering I only really knew four or five texts and walked in dead set on writing about text 9.

Question one:

Text A:

- basic/obvious presentational features
- grammatical features (ellipses and exclamation marks etc.) and word choice/semantics (of drama/adventure)
- concepts of production and reception: young, curious and enchanted audience
(direct link to context and popular perception of space travel/exploration)

Text B:

- basic comment on factual information and genre specific features (accurate dates, names and field specific lexis etc.)
- sentence structure: short, simple sentences.
A few compound and complex sentences to deliver extra detail. Focus on bluntness and facts
(link back to specific, professional audience)

Main difference: presentation of space travel. Text A is dramatic and caters for the fantasies/interests of its young audience at a time when the prospect of space exploration was exciting and inspiring. Text B is factual and formal, catering for a specific audience of professionals and space enthusiasts.

The 64 marker was a *************. The invigilator stole my paper, so the last 'sentence' of my half-conclusion was a scribble which hopefully resembled the word Clitheroe.

I can't even remember what I wrote for question one now.

I was really critical of text A (mainly because I was annoyed that a comic strip came up), and one of the points I had in mind was that it didn't use jargon that related to space travel, whereas the NASA text had to in order to suit it's audience. I said how this was suitable for the young audience, but then what if the child wanted to know how people at a station reallly speak? Clearly their needs are not met.

I'm not sure if I wrote this out or bullet pointed it though, spent a ridiculous amount of time on the 64 marker...
Original post by UnderTheBridge1994
I can't even remember what I wrote for question one now.

I was really critical of text A (mainly because I was annoyed that a comic strip came up), and one of the points I had in mind was that it didn't use jargon that related to space travel, whereas the NASA text had to in order to suit it's audience. I said how this was suitable for the young audience, but then what if the child wanted to know how people at a station reallly speak? Clearly their needs are not met.

I'm not sure if I wrote this out or bullet pointed it though, spent a ridiculous amount of time on the 64 marker...

I think the main thing about text A and audience (crazy alliteration :sexface:) was the idea of a young audience being fascinated by space travel in the 1950s, and things like ellipses, dramatic speech, exclamation marks and pauses etc. really stood out when read with the audience/purpose in mind.

Which is weird, because I think I found more to write about for text A, but I guess text B was really good for comparison (fiction vs. non-fiction, fun vs. bland, young vs. old and style differences etc.)

I think most people would have been fine with the unseens because the differences in tone/register/content were so obvious, and picking up on a few of those should be enough for a pretty good grade (according to my teacher, people have written two or three paragraphs and still got As.) :mmm:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest