The Student Room Group

What is an invigilator?

What exactly is an invigilator? Because in all of my exams, we only have the exams officer (who is also a teacher) and some other teachers in the exam hall with us. Are they all invigilators? Or is an invilgator someone external who ocmes in? Because we've never had one :s-smilie:

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm honestly confused about it :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Just someone who sits in an exam room and makes sure those taking the exam aren't cheating. They can be teachers, school helpers or people from the exam authority.
Reply 2
our invidulators are all external but i think there just people who check that no cheating happens :L
Reply 3
Ah, thanks. I always thought that they were a scary person in a suit who would glare at you through the exam :biggrin:
Reply 4
Same here, They are the same each year or something, but they are usually just invigilators. They just check that everything is right when there is an exam on, like no cheating, giving people some paper if needed, answering general questions, starting and ending the exam. They basically make sure that the exam is going smoothly and fair to everyone.
Reply 5
LoL don't we all look for reasons to distract us from revision x)
Original post by Pandora.

Google? :wink:
Reply 7
An invigilator is a person who wears shoes that make clonking sounds that echo around the exam hall. The have beady eyes and the ability to look like they're watching you and only you. They are people who look like that can read minds. They hate people who smile.
usually social outcasts.
Reply 9
They ARE scary people who dress in a suit and rampage around your school while 10 teachers follow terrified
Reply 10
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Ah, thanks. I always thought that they were a scary person in a suit who would glare at you through the exam :biggrin:

Worst. Supervillain. Ever.

Original post by aliluvschoc
An invigilator is a person who wears shoes that make clonking sounds that echo around the exam hall. The have beady eyes and the ability to look like they're watching you and only you. They are people who look like that can read minds. They hate people who smile.

I'm an invigilator at the moment... When did you meet me?! :hmmm:
Reply 12

Well said.:tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Hectorious

:tongue:Lol- love it!

One of the invigilators did that in our Gen. studies exams. SO annoying, especially when they know the acoustics in there are awful, so everything echos
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Hectorious

:frown::frown::biggrin:
Reply 16
Just someone who can spy on you with their beady eyes. Oh and also, they're like, ''you're under exam conditions, no communication with any other person'' and they sit/stand somewhere and quietly chat to another invigilator.
I sat on the front row once, and right in front of me was two invigilators. Male and female. Chatting. Having a laugh. KINKEHHH!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Invigilators are buxom women in their early 30s who walk around the exam hall in order to weed out the weak of mind.
What exactly is an invigilator? Because in all of my exams, we only have the exams officer (who is also a teacher) and some other teachers in the exam hall with us. Are they all invigilators? Or is an invilgator someone external who ocmes in? Because we've never had one :s-smilie:

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm honestly confused about it :biggrin:

Presumably you are in an independent school? In the state sector it is no longer permissable for teachers to supervise external examinations.

Back in the day when invigilation was part of the duties of a classroom teacher, games would be devised to pass the time. Invigilator tag was popular all over the country - the aim was to slip between rows of desks to avoid your opponent. There were Pacman variants of this. Another good game was "stand behind" e.g. "stand behind the kid with the fluffy pen" or "stand behind the kid with the biggest nose".
Reply 19

they don't have to wear a suit

baer

:badger:

Quick Reply

Latest