Turn on thread page Beta

The Shopping Drug watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was discussing this with my mum a minute ago.

Apparently new studies have shown that when women shop, their dopamine levels (basically things inside you that make you feel really happy) shoot way, way up culminating at the point when you buy a piece of clothing. But as soon as its bought, the levels shoot back down.

So in this way, shopping is like a drug, its addictive, and you need the 'high' again.

I feel like this could be true, and that different clothes/shops give you bigger/smaller highs. Anyone else think this is true, or is it just media jargon?

ReputationRep:
    I am addicted to Ebay, if that counts?

Haha. No, it's really scaring me...

ReputationRep:
    Have you read the 'Shopaholic' book series? They're fab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    Have you read the 'Shopaholic' book series? They're fab!
    oOo I love those books, nice dosage of chick lit!

ReputationRep:
    those books are wonderful!!!! i love them, its something to do when im not shoppin!

ReputationRep:
    of course shopping is a drug

*happily addicted*

y not start a shopoholic society? (hey is u guys start it i would like to at least b honorary member for havin had the idea :p:)

ReputationRep:
    My friend is addicted to buying things just for the different bags she gets.

ReputationRep:
    im addicted to shopping but only in malls where you can spend the whole day shopping and take breaks so you don't get exhausted. I never go shopping along high streets cos it really tires me out and I can never find anything I wana buy!

ReputationRep:
    thats so true, and after you have bought it you sometimes think, did i really like/need that? and then you go and buy another top :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, shopping is totally a drug!! That would explain why I go out wearing fabulous clothes and then don't even have enough money to buy an orange squash But the shopping makes up for it

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.