The Student Room Group

OCR Lit, wilfred owen, down to business

Scroll to see replies

Wow, wish I'd seen this thread yesterday, some brilliant predictions! I was fairly happy with Apologia, although I do wonder if I kept it focused enough on the theme of comradeship, kind of feel like I drifted off talking about Romanticism, hell and the horrors of war a bit too much at times.

As for the novel, I do A Handful of Dust (which seems to be the least popular text) and was so pleased with the question, really satisfied with how it turned out. Just thankful it's over now :biggrin:
Original post by HolyFuzazzle

Oh, i've seen what you wrote now ^_^ Well, your points are all quite good, but I touched on kinda random, different stuff in my essay, I mentioned quite a few critics though. I talked about stuff like subjectivity and all the standard stuff and how he serves to keep Gatsby elusive and some other stuff... there was other stuff but I forgot. It didn't really make much sense XD I used Tony Tanner's quote "Nick cannot bare to face a reality which is merely poor and bare..." and another one that said Nick learns nothing which was intersting. But ah yours seems so smart T.T

Oh damn, I got his name wrong!! That's unforgivable but hopefully the examiner will like me and pretend not to notice. They'll also need to be nice to overlook the fact that I spent most of my Owen essay talking about how certain poems didn't demonstrate comradeship and my range of quotes came down to "worm" and "head". Single word quotes, Edwin? Really?
Original post by Edwin Okli
Oh damn, I got his name wrong!! That's unforgivable but hopefully the examiner will like me and pretend not to notice. They'll also need to be nice to overlook the fact that I spent most of my Owen essay talking about how certain poems didn't demonstrate comradeship and my range of quotes came down to "worm" and "head". Single word quotes, Edwin? Really?

I couldn't remember whether it was Tanner or Tannen but I wrote the former T.T It REALLY doesn't matter, it's one letter XD And yeah he will, your essay sounds really great =D Mine be fail.
Ah XD I quoted single words too, don't worry about that XD Didn't demonstrate comradeship? So did I think don't worry XD
Original post by agoetcherian
I got 34/40 in my coursework (an A), do you reckon it's possible for me to get an A still? I mean, I'll be happy with a B, but, you know, it's no A...

Critics is worth 5 marks for the novel essay.

Same coursework mark! :O and thanks!

Original post by snow leopard

Bare in mind that AO3 isn't solely on critics, you can also score marks through different interpretations.

E.g. This shows x, but could be seen by others as y.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I only realized after that I finished the exam that I hadn't put any critical quotes in >.> But I did do different interpretations so I guess its all good xD

Oh well see for me, it was because I did an essay on Apologia in class so I was familiar with all the features ^_^ ah yeah XD Well, 10 is different readings, which includes critics, but if you offer different ways of thinking, it's fine =3 (just noticed it's been answered though)

Oh, I meant that I couldn't think of anything to write for the Nic question xD (and thanks all the same :biggrin:)
Original post by HazyMonsoon
Same coursework mark! :O and thanks!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I only realized after that I finished the exam that I hadn't put any critical quotes in >.> But I did do different interpretations so I guess its all good xD

Oh, I meant that I couldn't think of anything to write for the Nic question xD (and thanks all the same :biggrin:)

Neither did I, but I realised that when I was rambling for about 4 pages... you know it's **** cuz you get like predicted 30/30 but that essay was a fail =D Anyway you're welcome =D are you taking english lit next year?
Neither did I, but I realised that when I was rambling for about 4 pages... you know it's **** cuz you get like predicted 30/30 but that essay was a fail =D Anyway you're welcome =D are you taking english lit next year?

Rambling...something I've become oh so close to :colone:

No idea tbh, I do two sciences and a half science (geography xD) so it all depends on my grades...

What about you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Rambling...something I've become oh so close to :colone:

No idea tbh, I do two sciences and a half science (geogrpahy xD) so it all depends on my grades...

What about you?

Yes XD

Yeah, I want to do English at Uni ^_^ I was aiming for Oxford, but I dont think after the way that exam went I can apply =O I think I'm taking all 4 of my subjects to next year actually, unless I do crap in one of them.
Yes XD

Yeah, I want to do English at Uni ^_^ I was aiming for Oxford, but I dont think after the way that exam went I can apply =O I think I'm taking all 4 of my subjects to next year actually, unless I do crap in one of them.

That would be an amazing place to do English :O Do you do other humanities subjects?

Haha, I wouldn't worry too much, when I think I've failed I've usually done better and when I think I've done well I've failed... sad really xD So when people ask me how I've done I never really answer
That would be an amazing place to do English :O Do you do other humanities subjects?

Haha, I wouldn't worry too much, when I think I've failed I've usually done better and when I think I've done well I've failed... sad really xD So when people ask me how I've done I never really answer

It would be T.T I do Spanish, English Language and Psychology so sort of... =/ Do you want to do something sciency?

Ah yeah that's me too =O That always happens DX But not to worry, you'll have done great =O A lot of people do that and now I'm beginning to understand why XD And if you think it went well talking about it may jinx it.
It would be T.T I do Spanish, English Language and Psychology so sort of... =/ Do you want to do something sciency?

Ah yeah that's me too =O That always happens DX But not to worry, you'll have done great =O A lot of people do that and now I'm beginning to understand why XD And if you think it went well talking about it may jinx it.

No idea tbh, problem is we start our UCAS applications in July! D:

And I know, its amazing the things people say after exams xD My friend was really worried for her GCSEs and I was all 'don't worry, you'll get all As and whatnot' (cause she was a person who got As all year round) and as soon as I said that she was all 'NO! You might jinx it!' xD
No idea tbh, problem is we start our UCAS applications in July! D:

And I know, its amazing the things people say after exams xD My friend was really worried for her GCSEs and I was all 'don't worry, you'll get all As and whatnot' (cause she was a person who got As all year round) and as soon as I said that she was all 'NO! You might jinx it!' xD

We do T_T But I think it's stupid that they expect us to know what they want to do D= But it doesn't matter if you don;t know what for exactly, you still have a bit of time ^_^ don't worry about it, no one knows D= i would just pick my favourite subject...

Yeah XD I was like IT WENT CRAP after all my GCSEs... ah =O Yeah I think I was like that XD Strange neurotocism is me.
Original post by agoetcherian
I'm getting kind of worried now. I realised as I got out of the exam that I completely forgot AO4 (context - worth 5 marks) in my Gatsby essay on narrative! It just went from my mind, I don't know what happened! :s-smilie:
I was hoping for an A, does anyone think it's still possible?
I feel I did well in my Owen essay (i.e. 25+) and I did fairly well in my Gatsby essay (other than the fail of missing a whole AO). Also, I got 34/40 in my coursework (an A), do you reckon it's possible for me to get an A still? I mean, I'll be happy with a B, but, you know, it's no A....

Well, putting aside for a moment the fact that raw marks do not always equal UMS, if you got 34/40 in the coursework you'll need 46/60 in the exam. Worst case scenario, you get 25 like you thought for the Owen and, say, 23 for the Gatsby (since you did miss out an entire AO) - that's 48/60. You could certainly scrape an A, especially if the UMS conversion is favourable.
Original post by LeSacMagique
Well, putting aside for a moment the fact that raw marks do not always equal UMS, if you got 34/40 in the coursework you'll need 46/60 in the exam. Worst case scenario, you get 25 like you thought for the Owen and, say, 23 for the Gatsby (since you did miss out an entire AO) - that's 48/60. You could certainly scrape an A, especially if the UMS conversion is favourable.

Generally, for English, UMS is pretty similar. Coursework is 40 marks and 40% of the grade, and exam is 60 marks and 60% of the grade. However, from previous mark conversions that I've seen, sometimes it's +1 or 2, especially for the higher marks (I've seen people get penalised for lower marks and given more for higher marks).
Thanks anyway :smile: I really hope I get an A, but I guess hoping isn't really gonna do much good. What's done is done, and at least I can be fairly confident of a B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending