This discussion is closed.
katyrace
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hello this is the first time I've used this, I'm a teacher and I'm looking into doing a law conversion part time. was wondering if anyone could tell me about the course from a personal point of view rather than the rosy prospectus viewpoint! Thanks x
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by katyrace)
Hello this is the first time I've used this, I'm a teacher and I'm looking into doing a law conversion part time. was wondering if anyone could tell me about the course from a personal point of view rather than the rosy prospectus viewpoint! Thanks x

Sure..

The top institutions are Notts Law Schl, BPP and the institute at Oxford. They're the best as should you perform well on them, you can move onto the LPC at the same institution. Those 3 LPC's are a part of a City Law partnership, so many of the top law firms have a preference for them. So, ineffect, when you are deciding on where to study for your CPE, it's almost as though you are chosing your LPC provider too.

Also, a few things to bare in mind. After your CPE, most employers will really go on your undergrad. qualifications. Unless you do *exceptionally* well on the CPE, it's your first degree thats going to get you into an interview/rejection.

Second point, unless you have high A level grades, it's impossible getting into a good firm.

So, if you have good A level performance, a good undergrad. degree, then I'd go for the CPE.

Lastly, the CPE is very intense in quantity. It's not intellectually challenging as such. So, it's still a course with a high failure rate, however do not let that put you off. It seems to be the sort of course which you can do well on providing you work hard (which may seem rather obvious, but it's actually not in many instances).

All the best.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.95%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.87%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.96%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.21%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.99%
Speak to current students studying my course (79)
23.03%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.79%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.5%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.75%

Watched Threads