The Student Room Group

Contact Lenses

Right, heres the deal. I want to wear them everyday from now on, haven't worn them in a year so I got a checkup, my eyes are the same. So now i've got new and old contact lenses, nothing saying I can't use the old ones either (exp 08).

Anyway, how do you tell there the right way round? I've completely forgot, it looks the same to me, should I just try trial and error, because i've tried that before and it wasn't much fun

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never worked that out, I generally just stick them in my eye, and if they sting like hell, they're the wrong way round...
Contacts are disgusting :p: Just get a nice pair of glasses. I've seen some people look so elegant and cool in them.
Reply 3
If you mean inside out or not:
place one on the tip of your finger and if they're nice and round they're the right way. If they turn outside a bit at the top/borders, you have to turn them round. They do NOT look the exact same. :smile:

If you're not sure which is left and right, however, it says so on the pack. On every individual lens, there are numbers that have your sight on it for each eye. But I suppose you meant the top explanation.
another way is placing it on your palm, and closign ur parm (:s-smilie:) and if it fold easily then its the right way round, if it doesnt fold or wants to jump out of your palm then its the wrogn way. hard to describe but if you've been shown it b4, it could help just remidn you
I have Focus Dailies and I find that as I scoop them out of the case they automatically flip the right way round :smile:
I just whack them in willy-nilly. It seems to work for me.
Reply 8
I have Focus Dailies and I find that as I scoop them out of the case they automatically flip the right way round

Yeah thats what i've got. I don't usually get one the wrong way round, but I can't say I like the pain
Reply 9
They tend to roll round the wrong way if you put them in inside out.
its not painful when is the wrong way, just feels uncomefortable so you know its the wrogn way.
Reply 11
hafz
its not painful when is the wrong way, just feels uncomefortable so you know its the wrogn way.

Really?? I find it excruciatingly painful!
Poica

I've worn one the wrong way round for about an hour. I wondered why it felt so weird.
Reply 13
Fluent in Lies
I've worn one the wrong way round for about an hour. I wondered why it felt so weird.

Hehe, me too. Now I always check the edges first to see if they're not pointed outward.
Another thing you can do is place them on your finger as if you were about to put them in, and with the finger and thumb of your other hand try and fold it. If it all curls inwards then it's the right way, but if the parts of it that you're not touching try and flick outwards then it's inside out.
Reply 15
Poica
It stings a bit...it's not that painful.

Anyway, what hugatree mentioned earlier about sticking the lens on your finger is the way to go, as I found out (eventually) a few weeks ago. I spent about 30 or 40 minutes fiddling with the damn things as I tried to get them in, and that's one thing I discovered in that time.
Dalimyr
It stings a bit...it's not that painful.

Anyway, what hugatree mentioned earlier about sticking the lens on your finger is the way to go, as I found out (eventually) a few weeks ago. I spent about 30 or 40 minutes fiddling with the damn things as I tried to get them in, and that's one thing I discovered in that time.

It's a bit painful... I find that my eyes have a kinda reflex shutting action as soon as i put in an inside-out contact. Not nice! I once wore one for about an hour inside-out, but luckily it was the hour before an aftercare checkup and I asked the guy to check with his eye-telescope to see if it was in correctly. Then I made a fool of myself by dropping the taken-out contact on the floor before he could spray it with solution, so he had to get me one of the sample ones as a replacement.

And yeah, it used to take me 30-40 minutes. To those people who are new to contacts and just using daily ones occasionally, it really helps to say "right, this week I am going to wear them every day until I have mastered the technique, even if I have to get up especially early to put them in". Also I find that washing my hands in hot water and even putting the sealed contact packs by the radiator overnight makes it easier because if I put them in and my eye suddenly feels really cold, it will close and knock it out before it settles.
Reply 17
Poica
I never worked that out, I generally just stick them in my eye, and if they sting like hell, they're the wrong way round...

I wear ones that you wear non-stop for a month, so I only have to worry about this every 30 days or so! :smile: 'Cos yes, it really does hurt if you put them in inside out! :eek:
Evenstar
I wear ones that you wear non-stop for a month, so I only have to worry about this every 30 days or so! :smile: 'Cos yes, it really does hurt if you put them in inside out! :eek:

I was thinking about getting those, but a bit unsure about how healthy it is for your eyes to slepp in them. I know they're designed for this, but I don't know anyone who wears them I could ask!
Reply 19
dancingqueen
I was thinking about getting those, but a bit unsure about how healthy it is for your eyes to slepp in them. I know they're designed for this, but I don't know anyone who wears them I could ask!

Now you know Evenstar.

Latest

Trending

Trending