This discussion is closed.
cellochickee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I am from the United States, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about good music schools in the UK. I have been playing the cello for 8 years, and plan on persuing it when I go to college. But I think it would be a lot more nifty if I could go to college in the UK
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What grade are you on the Cello? London Guildhall would be a good place to enquire, as they can convert your American grading into a UK equivalent. Good music colleges are the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, Sheffield University... that's all I can remember off the top of my head as I'm not actually applying for Music myself. Best bet would be to check the UCAS website (www.ucas.com) and do a subject search
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by cellochickee)
I am from the United States, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about good music schools in the UK. I have been playing the cello for 8 years, and plan on persuing it when I go to college. But I think it would be a lot more nifty if I could go to college in the UK

madmaz does not seem to know what he/she is on about. The four biggest ones in london are Royal college of music, Royal academy of music, Guildhall scchool of music and drama, and Trinty college of music. The other big one in britain is the Royal Northern collegs of music. These are all places where you can get performance degrees rather than academic mussic degrees. You have to be very good at playing and at the end three/four years you can go and be a soloist/join an orchestra. Out of these the royal northern and the royal college are seen as traditionally the best although the colleg has got into some finance trouble this year so if you want a very trad course in london then the academy might be a better choice. The other option would be to do an academic musicc degree which you might not even have to do any playing for. The best academic degrees in the country come from Cambridge (where i'm going next year if I get the grades) followedd closely by york, Kings london and nottingham. Next come oxford, manchester (whose course is very academic and they've just spent 7 million pounds on a new building for the department), durham, edinburgh, birmingham, southampton (i hear is good but don't know) andd royal holloway london... and a few others. For these degrees you'll need good grades from school - top grdes for Cambridge or you don't have a chance. You should bear in mind when choosing to do a university or college course that you could spend 4 years in a college and then have some injury in your hand meaning you can't play and your degree will be useless. With an academicc degree you will have more of a chance to change industry during your lifetime. If you want anymore info the email me on [email protected] or pm me on the forum and we can discuss stuff.

Goodd luck with your application,

Musicboy
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
madmaz does not seem to know what he/she is on about. The four biggest ones in london are Royal college of music, Royal academy of music, Guildhall scchool of music and drama, and Trinty college of music. The other big one in britain is the Royal Northern collegs of music. These are all places where you can get performance degrees rather than academic mussic degrees. You have to be very good at playing and at the end three/four years you can go and be a soloist/join an orchestra. Out of these the royal northern and the royal college are seen as traditionally the best although the colleg has got into some finance trouble this year so if you want a very trad course in london then the academy might be a better choice. The other option would be to do an academic musicc degree which you might not even have to do any playing for. The best academic degrees in the country come from Cambridge (where i'm going next year if I get the grades) followedd closely by york, Kings london and nottingham. Next come oxford, manchester (whose course is very academic and they've just spent 7 million pounds on a new building for the department), durham, edinburgh, birmingham, southampton (i hear is good but don't know) andd royal holloway london... and a few others. For these degrees you'll need good grades from school - top grdes for Cambridge or you don't have a chance. You should bear in mind when choosing to do a university or college course that you could spend 4 years in a college and then have some injury in your hand meaning you can't play and your degree will be useless. With an academicc degree you will have more of a chance to change industry during your lifetime. If you want anymore info the email me on [email protected] or pm me on the forum and we can discuss stuff.

Goodd luck with your application,

Musicboy
According to the Guardian the RNCM (Royal Northern College of Music- part of Manchester university) is the highest ranking higher education establishment in the UK. This is because for some odd reason music colleges seem to rank higher because they have high near 100% teaching scores.
dforster
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
According to the Guardian the RNCM (Royal Northern College of Music- part of Manchester university) is the highest ranking higher education establishment in the UK. This is because for some odd reason music colleges seem to rank higher because they have high near 100% teaching scores.
I have no idea on music at all...but I will say that a friend of mine is like the super bestest most amazing celloist in the country and he made the choice of Guildhall when I think he could of gone anywhere....does that help at all or is that just worthless information on my part!Alas...
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
that is a result of every student having 1:1 tuition. Also I forgot to mention that Manchester Uni has the highest research rating for music with 6*. this doesn't really make too much of a difference for undergrad though.

MB
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I apologise for errors in my post - like I said, I don't actually do music myself, but as nobody had replied to the post I thought even a little information was better than none at all It was interesting reading yours, musicboy - I feel a lot more knowledgable now!
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by madmazda86)
I apologise for errors in my post - like I said, I don't actually do music myself, but as nobody had replied to the post I thought even a little information was better than none at all It was interesting reading yours, musicboy - I feel a lot more knowledgable now!
sorry, didn't mean to belittle you

MB
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hi,

Both my brothers are at Chethams school of music. It has a very good reputation. It goes up to college age too. I am 95% sure they audition new people for the sixth form...

Would definitely be worth looking into!

Adam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.12%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.11%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.02%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.45%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.94%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.08%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.51%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads