Watch
This discussion is closed.
girlwithsharpteeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by fran.ha)
I have one, I never use it. Hurts like **** and takes ages to do, and then doesn't even really get rid of all the hairs, I still have to shave over it!
Which epilator do you use? Or have you tried a few? I'm trying to figure out if problems like this are because of a bad model that I should avoid or if they're just not worth it overall? If it's just a bad model I can look for a good one (such as all those that have been recommended above).
fran.ha
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
Which epilator do you use? Or have you tried a few? I'm trying to figure out if problems like this are because of a bad model that I should avoid or if they're just not worth it overall? If it's just a bad model I can look for a good one (such as all those that have been recommended above).
I can't remember but its a Braun one, Silk-Epil maybe?
girlwithsharpteeth
Rep:
?
I can't remember but its a Braun one, Silk-Epil maybe?
Wow that was a quick reply! Hmmm... this is the problem so many people recommend Brain Silk-Epils! It's probably an impossible thing to decide until you fork out for one, it would just be nice not to spend money on something that's rubbish!
PinkFriday
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tashywashywoo)
I have one a bit like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HP64.../dp/B0006ZO2B2 although not the same as I bought it nearly 10 years ago.
Took me a while to get used to the pain which is more than waxing in my opinion, but once youre there it's fine.
I never really used the razor attachment,never really worked as I always left quite a bit of stubble.

I think its a good investment since waxing isnt cheap!
Do you mind if I ask how long it takes to do both legs? I'm thinking of buying one am want to make sure I won't be spending hours on it. : )
Salliana23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I bought this epilator today http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Silk-%.../dp/B002TOJT3E

Bearing in mind that I've never waxed before (just used disposable razors) I did find it quite painful. It was worse near the ankles and on my shins but the pain wasn't so bad elsewhere - it was just a tingling sensation. It's not too hard to use - once I'd epilated my left leg, it didn't take too long to do my right! The light is useful as well for checking if any hairs have been missed. Seems pretty good so far though
tashywashywoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PinkFriday)
Do you mind if I ask how long it takes to do both legs? I'm thinking of buying one am want to make sure I won't be spending hours on it. : )
I'd probably say about a half hour, definetly quicker than waxing though and I'm a hairy girl , it gets quicker the more you do it as the hairs become thinner
girlwithsharpteeth
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help guys I've gone with this one for now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Silk-%...760809&sr=1-16 and I'll post how it goes when I've had a chance to use it a bit.
CHEESE!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tashywashywoo)
I'd probably say about a half hour, definetly quicker than waxing though and I'm a hairy girl , it gets quicker the more you do it as the hairs become thinner
I always find it takes ages to epilate my legs & normally I give up after doing only 1/2 of one leg!
For underarms it's as quick as shaving them or maybe I was just no good with a razor.........
WhatYouKnow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does no one think it hurts like a *****? :eek: The first time I tried using one (a few months ago) I genuinely had tears in my eyes, and it's a Braun model!
WhatYouKnow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have one, I never use it. Hurts like **** and takes ages to do, and then doesn't even really get rid of all the hairs, I still have to shave over it!
Same! I can't stand the pain so I've given up using mine, shaving all the way
loveyouforaday
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Braun silk epil is very good
Salliana23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by WhatYouKnow)
Does no one think it hurts like a *****? :eek: The first time I tried using one (a few months ago) I genuinely had tears in my eyes, and it's a Braun model!
It is really painful but I want to persevere - for now!

Only used it on my legs so far though - don't fancy using it on my underarms yet
HazyMonsoon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, yes and YES! I have the same one the OP is buying actually *shudders* I couldn't even take it for a minute. Mind you, i can do my upper leg without it hurting its just the lower leg part that kills, probably cause its closer to the bone, less fat
Salliana23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HazyMonsoon)
Yes, yes and YES! I have the same one the OP is buying actually *shudders* I couldn't even take it for a minute. Mind you, i can do my upper leg without it hurting its just the lower leg part that kills, probably cause its closer to the bone, less fat
Same! It really hurts close to the ankles
WhatYouKnow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Salliana23)
It is really painful but I want to persevere - for now!

Only used it on my legs so far though - don't fance using it on my underarms yet
Oh my God, I can't even imagine doing my underarms with an epilator :eek:. I haven't tried the upper leg (I wimped out), and yes it seems even more painful on the actual bone too...:eek:
HazyMonsoon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh my God, I can't even imagine doing my underarms with an epilator :eek:. I haven't tried the upper leg (I wimped out), and yes it seems even more painful on the actual bone too...:eek:
The upper leg hurts waay less! Well, it did for me considering the hair was a lot finer =/

Underarms?! That's crazy!!! D: Its perfectly fine on my arms though
HazyMonsoon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Salliana23)
Same! It really hurts close to the ankles
Haha, I tried the front of my lower leg (shin?) and I started to cry, let alone near the ankle!!! :eek:
Jellytots122
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have the braun silk epil one and maned up and did my whole leg about 4 days ago and the hair has already started to come back! the hair is definitely finer though which is a good thing, but my legs feel stubbly in places and there are some ingrowns I did it on my underarms too and the skin is all bumpy, so idk I'm not liking it at the minute but it is still better than shaving!
girlwithsharpteeth
Rep:
?
Ha thanks for sharing when I've ordered it! I hope it'll be ok.... I can handle waxing but sounds like it might be worse!
Salliana23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
Ha thanks for sharing when I've ordered it! I hope it'll be ok.... I can handle waxing but sounds like it might be worse!
Try not to worry about it too much...I know that I've already mentioned this, but I hadn't waxed at all before using my epilator so I'm sure it won't seem that bad for you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (76)
21.47%
No (278)
78.53%

Watched Threads