This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I know we have these big old arguments about Private vs. State Schools, but I've never really worked out who went where.
So hopefully this will sort things out!
I went to state school, and I am glad of it, in fact apart from my father and mother I'm the single ONLY person in my family to not ever go to Boarding school, though I did do all my infant education in private.
I don't regret it either, I can skin up faster and drink 10 pints faster than any private school girl I've ever met....apart from Vicky...but she did the same thing....so
Private or State, which are you, what are the pro's what are the con's, do you regret it etc?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Public school and proud.

Pros are the facilities.

Cons mainly are not seeing your family I guess.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
State school. Don't see any problems with it. As long as you work hard, I don't see no reason why you shouldn't get the A*s/As.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
State Single-sex Grammar
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
I went to a Comprehensive with a really really good reputation called Bishop Luffa. It's not until I've actually left that you realise the only people giving it a really good reputation are the only people that are listened to ie. the faculty, headteacher....old people
It was really just a lot of drugs....and druggie parties.
Quite fun really, though they have a tendency to lose coursework

Pro's:I can tell you exactly anywhere in Chichester to find a dealer, the new library
Con's: Their horrible horrible lost n found they made you wear if you forgot your P.E kit, the school
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I know we have these big old arguments about Private vs. State Schools, but I've never really worked out who went where.
I went to state school, and I am glad of it, in fact apart from my father and mother I'm the single ONLY person in my family to not ever go to Boarding school, though I did do all my infant education in private.
I don't regret it either, I can skin up faster and drink 10 pints faster than any private school girl I've ever met....apart from Vicky...but she did the same thing....so
Private or State, which are you, what are the pro's what are the con's, do you regret it etc?
From my experience public school boys beat the hell of state school boys in both skinning up and drinking heavily.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
From my experience public school boys beat the hell of state school boys in both skinning up and drinking heavily.
Yeah but we live near Brighton...that should explain a lot, all the Private schools down where I live don't seem to let anybody out....and all the people at my school had made friends with the local tramps/drug dealers so it was a stretch of 7 years of learning...lol
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A rock bottom comp. and mighty proud.

Only 65 schools did worse on GCSE attainment, and that's out of 3500 plus
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah but we live near Brighton...that should explain a lot, all the Private schools down where I live don't seem to let anybody out....and all the people at my school had made friends with the local tramps/drug dealers so it was a stretch of 7 years of learning...lol
Lol making friends with tramps. Bet that was interesting..to say the least.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
A rock bottom comp. and mighty proud.

Only 65 schools did worse on GCSE attainment, and that's out of 3500 plus
Lol nice, my college sucks I've decided.
My college has a mediocre reputation, 2 people got into like Oxbridge this year and they were international students as in the bling bling.
At my old school and 6th Form College like...half the bloody years went there, with the same grades as my friends going to less prestigous places. Does that seem to say something about elitism in Oxbridge places or is that just me
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
State comp, 951 students.

Then it's sixth form centre for the two years afterwards, 35 students.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Lol making friends with tramps. Bet that was interesting..to say the least.
Actually it's quite useful I've nearly been raped walking around Chichester at night but they saved me and when I was chatting to them after I got them a few beers etc one time a policeman came over and started to try and get me to be searched and one of them pulled out a pack of coke and said to the policeman "If there is anybody you should be searching it should be me, leave her alone she hasn't done anything wrong" I think it worked out for him though because although he got put in prison he worked real hard studying there and now is middle managment somewhere, which i think is cool.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Actually it's quite useful I've nearly been raped walking around Chichester at night but they saved me and when I was chatting to them after I got them a few beers etc one time a policeman came over and started to try and get me to be searched and one of them pulled out a pack of coke and said to the policeman "If there is anybody you should be searching it should be me, leave her alone she hasn't done anything wrong" I think it worked out for him though because although he got put in prison he worked real hard studying there and now is middle managment somewhere, which i think is cool.
Needless to say I really did appreciate it
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Lol nice, my college sucks I've decided.
My college has a mediocre reputation, 2 people got into like Oxbridge this year and they were international students as in the bling bling.
At my old school and 6th Form College like...half the bloody years went there, with the same grades as my friends going to less prestigous places. Does that seem to say something about elitism in Oxbridge places or is that just me

We have had two people probably over the last 2 decades or so. Also, no half the year has not, even at Harrow, they're proud that 1/5 get into Oxbridge. It's never any higher than that.

No, it's just you, that says nothing about elitism
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
We have had two people probably over the last 2 decades or so. Also, no half the year has not, even at Harrow, they're proud that 1/5 get into Oxbridge. It's never any higher than that.

No, it's just you, that says nothing about elitism
My school gets about 1/6 into Oxbridge but there is an extreme gap between the brainy kids and the dumb ones.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My college comes in the bottom 10% for A/AS Levels, and gets an average of one (occasionally two) into oxbridge, despite having something like 500 people taking a levels each year.
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
state and proud......"sup" and "shizzle yo nizzle"
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
State comp, 951 students.

Then it's sixth form centre for the two years afterwards, 35 students.
state school 3000 students.....
Spc_K
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Aww damn public school. it was alright when i was little but 2 years before gcses it got so annoying.. and then it got better: there were 10 safe people in sixthform! we kept the soundsystem secure from the radio and bad music... mostly... and tended to spend a good part of the time mashed..the next year 8 safe people left and there were two, we couldn't control the soundsystem so the music turned to a load of crap, which i couldn't bare, so i spent nearly all of my last year in the state school about 100 meters away where the staff soon started asking if i should be in a lesson.

Cons: Protected surreal environment, more work set, therefore more hassle for not doing it, more pointless obligations and forced "optional" crap. Not a democracy. (from the deputys mouth, when we contested that our being punished was ridiculous and undemocratic: They had no proof, just unreasonable (but correct) suspicion)

Pros: Surreal, Nice buildings, big fields, can leave a kettle and tea about and not find it destroyed or stolen (also applicable to less important situation of bags, money<-(?probably not a good idea.), etc)

I wish i'd been to state school from 14.

-k

my school gets 1/5 to 1/4 into oxbridge.
tessie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i went to a private school for the last for years and now i go to a public school so im not sure how i should vote...
i dont think that one is worse than the other, it depends on the school really. at a private school facilitys are usually better but you get the usual thugs. a lot of parents send problem kids their in the hopes they will straighten out. i did hate the rules though, they have rules for everything. public schools are much more relaxed. i think that going to a private school did build up my self esteem though becuse there wernt as many kids...

i think it really depends on the person, id have to say that i like the way things have turned out for me though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads