This discussion is closed.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
State school. Don't see any problems with it. As long as you work hard, I don't see no reason why you shouldn't get the A*s/As.
Spot on. No need to spend £15,000 a year to get A grades if you put in a reasonable amount of work...
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I mayby wrong but I heard no-one from Eton got into Oxford this year. Strange.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Voluntary Aided, formerly Grant Maintained. Bit of a dump but it's my dump. Received little funding because it achieves well in the area (and the crap schools get most money). A flaw is the uniform, did nothing for my figure...

My dad used to promise to get me into a private school, but I knew he wouldn't follow through because he doesn't want to spend the money. So he only has himself to blame for not getting me into Cambridge :p:D
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Public school - only problem was the high volume of essex boys and girls driving their flash cars into school because mummy and daddy wanted to spoil them for electing to stay in school past GCSEs. The toffs were few in number but the majority of whom were bookworms with no prospect of ever seeing the light of day as they partook in their daily digest of the library's entire volumes on Aeschylus or Homer - bloody nerds. I am posher than an Essex boy but it depends more on the company i suppose - anyway i have public schooling to thank for this (and a number of psychological problems which will reveal themselves later on in my life but of which i am not yet aware)
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A couple of years in private school and a couple of years in public, it depends where I was living in the moment.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Norwegian public (meaning state) school.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
International School.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I go to a grammar. About 1/6th of the upper sixth got offers from Oxbridge this year, which is very high considering the results aren't even that good.
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
State Foundation school for boys - former grammar. A good school, though I'm the only successful Oxbridge candidate this year.

J.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Local Comp
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Comprehensive, with a good reputation and results.

About two or three per year into Oxbridge, with a 6th form of around 300 pupils.
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hahahahaha! Funny poll.... I don't really fall into any of those categories though!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I went to a mixed private school, about 350 pupils, day and boarding (I was a day girl). Wasn't selective, so only an average of 1 person to Oxbridge every year.

I'm not voting on that poll though.
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Hahahahaha! Funny poll.... I don't really fall into any of those categories though!
Same here. My school was a CTC.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I went to a state school - though CoE (despite not being religious). It was literally the only decent school in the area. Had I not gone there, I probably would have sat the entrance exam for a private school, however, even at 10, I was aware my parents couldn't really afford this.

Worked as hard as I could and my results paid off - infact, I couldn't have achieved as good grades at the private school as they don't allow you to take as many GCSEs.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
I went to a state school - though CoE (despite not being religious). It was literally the only decent school in the area. Had I not gone there, I probably would have sat the entrance exam for a private school, however, even at 10, I was aware my parents couldn't really afford this.

Worked as hard as I could and my results paid off - infact, I couldn't have achieved as good grades at the private school as they don't allow you to take as many GCSEs.
Private schools will often allow you to take extra GCSE's. Especially in year 9 and 10.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
At my school, I took quite a few. I took English Literature and Language, Maths, double science, History, Geography, Business Studies, Media Studies, D & T, French. Everybody also did GNVQ intermediate ICT, which was apparently worth 4 C's if you just passed it. It was so easy though.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
At my school, I took quite a few. I took English Literature and Language, Maths, double science, History, Geography, Business Studies, Media Studies, D & T, French. Everybody also did GNVQ intermediate ICT, which was apparently worth 4 C's if you just passed it. It was so easy though.
I took latin gcse in year 9 and latin A level in year 10. Private schools really arent that strict, if you want to take more they will let you, although you will have to pay for the exam fee.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I took latin gcse in year 9 and latin A level in year 10. Private schools really arent that strict, if you want to take more they will let you, although you will have to pay for the exam fee.
Crikey. Latin. I wrestled with French for a couple of years.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Crikey. Latin. I wrestled with French for a couple of years.
See, I never did french, I was deprived. Greek, Latin and Spanish. Although for Spanish I didnt have any lessons at all and still got a C. Basically because it is rather similar to latin.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads