The Student Room Group

Fairness in the selection process

Does anyone else think is is extremely unfair that some schools/colleges give those students applying to Oxbridge so much help and advice with personal statements and mock interviews? I'm studying for my A levels through distance learning and I've applied to Oxbridge and have had no help whatsoever and I feel like I can't compete.

What do you think about the advantage some applicants get over others?
Reply 1
i think we've discussed this before

SO VERY MANY TIMES
Yes, I think the only advantage that you get when you have, is that you are overprepared and get confused when they ask you questions. Anyway, if you are clever there is no need for help!?
Reply 3
I'm afraid by this token it's also extremely unfair that some applicants with internet access have found this website & can get so much help and advice with personal statements from first hand sources rather than merely careers advisors who often have no clue... :wink:

on the mock interview note - it's also been deemed unfair that those at some "poorer" schools or from certain backgrounds have access to Interview Training Days run by Access Schemes & the like. or even extra interviews at Cam.. :eek:

conclusion - life in general can seem rather unfair from any angle you choose. so probably best to either directly challenge & try & change things you find unfair, or make the most of things available to you...?

out of interest - with regards to help - how much "help" does one need to compete? what sort of help do you want & do you think would make a difference?
official information is out there & published, open days are held - staff/students willing to try & help you etc are out there, mock interviews can be arranged with anyone or through access schemes etc, plenty of websites have PS advice / this one even has a reviewing service. so although some people might have to employ a bit more initiative than others in finding these things.. i think that might be a more character building & useful experience requiring a smidgen more of independent thought.
& ultimately all the 'help', 'coaching', 'guidance' etc. in the world is unlikely to be any good unless you've got the brains to utilise what you get & back it up... :p:
Yes, of course it's unfair, but unfortunately that's life, and Oxbridge do take your school and the level of help you're likely to have received into account.
Coaching shows up straight away, apparently. If an applicant is very smooth and, well, seemingly well practiced, then the interviewers would get suspicious. I only had one mock interview, that was nothbign what so ever like the real thing- current affairs biased. My school has only managed to get one other person into Oxbridge before, and he was scarily talented and worked very hard. So far, my school has a 100% Oxbridge success rate... based on two people. not too bad for a rubbish comprehensive!
Coming back to Access, I sometimes think people from state schools have the advantage that they "apparently" do not have an advantage. I found it quite interesting how much effort the access scheme in Oxford put towards their students.....
Reply 7
It doesnt take a genius to write a good personal statement... honestly, how much help do you need?
Reply 8
my sources for my personal statement were:

personalstatements.co.uk, or sum stupid website, a few mixed up statements did the job,
plus my head teachers approval that it was genuine :wink: got offers from UCL, MANCHESTER, AND CITY so far. waitin to hear from OXFORD this saturday argh, LSE and my 6th choice EDINBURGH....this is for Economics L100 (and management at oxford LN12)

cmon damn u LSE / OXFORD , hurry up !!
Reply 9
RxB
i think we've discussed this before

SO VERY MANY TIMES

you're a legend
Reply 10
I don't think the advice my school gave (at least) is much good.

Guy the school hired: "And finally, they will ask if you have any questions. You always need to have a few questions ready, in case one of them is answered earlier on in the interview. After all, you really don't want to lack a question."

My sister's interviewers: "Do you have a question? Don't ask one just because you think you should."

Oxford main website: "You will probably be given a chance at the end of the interview to ask your own questions. Don't invent one just because you feel you should, but if there is a point about your academic work that you would like to talk to the tutor about, now is your chance. Remember that the tutors are working to a very tight schedule. Consequently, the interview is not the place for a detailed discussion of the course syllabus - you will have explored that before you applied." http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/interviews/

I trust the Oxford people.

Guy the school hired said we should be prepared to answer questions like "Describe a banana", "Prove this table exists" and "Why is the sky blue?"

Oxford says they do not use "current affairs" interviewers or ask silly questions.

Cambridge says "On the contrary, training frequently disadvantages applicants as they are often misinformed" and they are DAMN RIGHT TOO.
r3m0t
"Why is the sky blue?"

Oxford says they do not use "current affairs" interviewers or ask silly questions.
If you're applying for physics, being asked why the sky is blue is a valid question, it's to do with light scattering in the atmosphere :wink:

Otherwise I agree :smile:
Reply 12
the sky is blue because it reflects the sea :tongue:
Reply 13
No! The sky is actually blue because God is Chelsea supporter! :wink:
Reply 14
I actually think the preparation I did was very unhelpful. I think if you go in knowing lots of things and having lots prepared for specific questions, you just panic when they ask you something you haven't prepared (which they will). The mock interview I had at my school, after which my head mistress picked over my performance, just completely knocked my confidence and convinced me I had no chance - not exactly beneficial.
Reply 15
chelsea has yellow in it...*glares*
Reply 16

chelsea has yellow in it...*glares*

It's the sun :biggrin:
Reply 17
Yes... it's unfair...

I heard they only let beautiful women with blue eyes in and all male applicants have to be above 6' :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending