This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Actually, PHd's are the easiest degrees you can do.
Yup - they're more of a long hard slog than most though, a different method of working...some people have trouble sustaining their enthusiasm for they research topic for 3 yrs (I was fed up with my dissertation topic after 3 months...but then I get fed up with most things after a short while...and it was about clay).
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Easier than degree's at mcdonalds university?
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Easier than degree's at mcdonalds university?
With that exception!
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I guess it is all about dedication and commitment. By the this time next year I my final year project will be well underway so I will probably hate research by then. At the moment I quite enjoy it but that novelty may fade. I guess a PHd is somthing I could always consider as an option.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Yup - they're more of a long hard slog than most though, a different method of working...some people have trouble sustaining their enthusiasm for they research topic for 3 yrs (I was fed up with my dissertation topic after 3 months...but then I get fed up with most things after a short while...and it was about clay).
Yes, it's a matter of if you can be assed to spend three years studying moisture movement by capilliary action through lumps of concrete containing different admixtures , which incidentally is what my old departmental head did his PHd on!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes, it's a matter of if you can be assed to spend three years studying moisture movement by capilliary action through lumps of concrete containing different admixtures , which incidentally is what my old departmental head did his PHd on!
Sounds almost as rivetting as my dissertation...or the PhD my friend is doing (soil mechanics :yawn: )
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
With that exception!
So Mcdonalds degree's are easy then?
Don't disrespect all those people who have worked there hardest to earn their place at this elite uni, and all the effort they put in to getting the degree's from there.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Sounds almost as rivetting as my dissertation...or the PhD my friend is doing (soil mechanics :yawn: )
Difficult subject, soil mechanics.

I once studied at Cranfield and got involved in this subject. Hated it. That, and hydrology. I'm just not a "sciency" person.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So turf laying which Tosh is going to do is actually quite a hard degree??
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Leeds College of Art & Design

Furniture Making/Restoration

2 year full time HND course
:rolleyes: quite strange me thinks
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Middlesex University - Fashion Knitwear
and this one - i know they are HNDs, but still
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I often take the mickey out of UEL for their programmes. I'm sure there's a HND (Have No Degree) in Business Studies With Third World Development...
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Just wondering people... do people with PhDs get that much of a pay increase? Or are they just respected?

The other day (on the ice) my mum's car ran into the guy's in front. And he had "Dr" as his title. And my dad said he was most likely a PhD from the university rather than an MD because he had a **** old car and PhDs get paid nowhere near as much as MDs and an MD would have a much better car - is this true?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I often take the mickey out of UEL for their programmes. I'm sure there's a HND (Have No Degree) in Business Studies With Third World Development...
Don't diss HND's. I'm doing a first diploma in Public services at the moment.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
three years studying moisture movement by capilliary action through lumps of concrete containing different admixtures !
Actually I looked at that whilst doing my physics coursework, it was really easy actually. Not real science to it at all.

Tell him that you need to prevent plastic shrinkage to get good experiemtnal results.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Just wondering people... do people with PhDs get that much of a pay increase? Or are they just respected?

The other day (on the ice) my mum's car ran into the guy's in front. And he had "Dr" as his title. And my dad said he was most likely a PhD from the university rather than an MD because he had a **** old car and PhDs get paid nowhere near as much as MDs and an MD would have a much better car - is this true?
My uncle earns £70k as a cheif executive of a very large company, he has a nice house etc. He drives an £800 N reg rover 600. A lot of people just prefer older cars because you don't loose money on them.
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Earlier we were once again discussing Mickey Mouse Degrees, one of the subjects brought up was Meat Managment, do you or any of your friends currently or plan to do such a weird, random (draining on the taxpayers) course in the future?
There's definitely a degree course in Urban Forestry ....! it may be real but it sounds like a perfect oxymoron.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yep. No exams, as few board meetings, but funding is a problem!
TickityBoo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
What is wrong with this course? I looked at this course in degree format as part of my process of ellimination and the content seemed quite valid!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3472837.stm
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads